RF Venue Diversity.

Prahlad Strickland

OK I do not want to hijack this thread but since there are many experts here maybe one can explain a few things related to the topic for an amateur regarding how to pick portable whip antennas for my RX housing that use a 600-715mhz range system.

It has been bugging me for a long time and I find it confusing since I do not clearly understand the relation between the length of the antenna and the spectrum its meant to cover.

I know you can get harness mounted ones but I rarely use a harness and very rarely end up on a cart which then I could use my RF Venue Diverisity Fin. So %90 of the time I have to rely on the antennas on my RX housing.

Also, does it matter if its a thick rubber one or a normal wire like we have on the TX's? 

Does it matter if they are both vertical or if one is angled?

Finally, I often feel that an over crowded set can cause dropouts, Is this really possible? 

Thanks

Todd, when you say when you unplug the antenna all the B channels go to hell what do you mean?

From what I remember with my QRX100 that there is always an indication of each antennas receive strength (looks like a cell phone graph) and that when you unplug one antenna it's normal for that graph to go down to zero. It's a nice feature because it will let you know if your antennas are working.

In this scenario the B receiver should just switch to the remaining antenna and there's generally no drop out or just a brief one. Are you saying that you completely lose reception of the B channel? 

All of the questions you ask have been covered in (often extensive) past discussions. If the search selection here n the forum doesn't get good results, try using Google search with the first search term being: jwsoundgroup.

...and it'll help keep this thread on topic <G>.

Thanks John, you are right I never thought of that.

Back to the topic then.

So when you have diversity switch from A to B, is that just switching its polarity for a better signal in regards to finding wether the vertical or the horizontal signals are stronger, or is it doing something else?

Todd, any diversity system requires 2 antennas. If you unplug one of the 2 antennas it's not surprising that you have "no diversity whatsoever". Am I missing something?

Yes. Obviously they require two antennas, however my B channel drops out when the B antenna is removed. As a test that my antennas were switching properly in dual mode I removed one antenna.. The B channel drops out without switching to the remaining antenna. Thus,the diversity function is not working.