Sonosax M2D2

Trey LaCroix

just picked up an M2D2, really great little device! Does anyone else find the headphone output a little noisy? Hiss seems totally independent of inputs even when all off and nothing connected as soon as I switch on any option in the headphones output page there's a fairly prominent white hiss. 

Turning the headphone gain down to mute also does nothing, only setting all headphone outputs to none cuts it. Is this normal? Seems more prominent in some headphones than others particularly a pair of decent shure IEMs gives the worst hiss

1 hour ago, grawk said:

are you powering it via usb or internal battery?  My m2d2 has a silent headphone amp (that sounds particularly good) with my JH13s.

I tried both battery and usbc wall charging and same. I’m not sure if it’s an IEM thing, my beyer 700 pro x headphones are much better but can still hear diff between on and off, but the Shure se215 IEMs to monitor a pretty decent level hiss comes in but both headphones pretty silent plugged into anything else so just wondered what’s going on

i use Ultimate Ears earphones when im mixing. when i had my 788 / CL9 setup, if i ran the headphone out of the 788 into the CL9, and then plugged my earphones into the CL9, i would get a lot of hiss. but plugging straight into the 788 was fine.
i think it was to do with the headphone amp in the CL9 not liking low impedence headphones so much

2 hours ago, km6064 said:

I tried both battery and usbc wall charging and same. I’m not sure if it’s an IEM thing, my beyer 700 pro x headphones are much better but can still hear diff between on and off, but the Shure se215 IEMs to monitor a pretty decent level hiss comes in but both headphones pretty silent plugged into anything else so just wondered what’s going on

Ok, listening I can hear some hiss at -20db volume on the JH13s.  I'd never noticed it before, it's very quiet at that level.  If I turn the mic preamps off, it goes away.

8 minutes ago, grawk said:

Ok, listening I can hear some hiss at -20db volume on the JH13s.  I'd never noticed it before, it's very quiet at that level.  If I turn the mic preamps off, it goes away.

That’s cool, with the beyers it’s barely noticeable just a bit jarring with the, I guess lower end generally, IEMs.

One question @grawk if you don’t mind. When you say you turn the preamps off, is that just turning everything on the headphones output off? Even if I disable the mic inputs, aes, usb etc in the inputs menu and turn headphone gain down to mute my hiss is always there, it’s only if I literally have nothing on in my headphones output page that the hiss cuts off. 

as you say it’s not horrendous just very distracting with my particular IEMs and still noticeable with the studio headphones.

the reason I generally heard it was in a quiet room I was recording a bit of acoustic guitar and monitoring with headphones the hiss was just pretty distracting almost gives an unnatural tinny sound while monitoring that isn’t really there on playback. It’s almost like noisy preamps on cheaper devices which is a shame because the actual mic preamps on the m2d2 are so great and quiet. 

Using the headphone control, I turn off mic inputs from the headphones, and the hiss goes away completely, even if I turn the headphones up to +24.  I usually run them at -20.

3 minutes ago, grawk said:

Using the headphone control, I turn off mic inputs from the headphones, and the hiss goes away completely, even if I turn the headphones up to +24.  I usually run them at -20.

Yup exactly the same, ok, I guess that’s just the system noise or impedance or something then, as you say cranking the headphone output or preamp gain doesn’t introduce much extra at all, so can’t be headphone amp or preamps, weird.

Thanks for checking though, appreciate it. Not a disaster but just be cool if that wasn’t there or could mitigate, at least sounds like I don’t have a faulty one though.