Audio Rates Vs Hair and Makeup Rates

ProSound

To follow up again on this i had a client who pays me $700/10 with basic kit tell me that after having to pay a talents "personal wardrobe consultant" $1600 a day to style and shop for this talent plus expense account first class airfare and car service everyday to set they felt like I was bargin. Despite being in a much better place then I was 2 years ago when I started this thread I still have a hard time with make up making the same as I do just for labor rate as I do with labor and gear but I am getting over it slowly.

However I haven't started to rationalize what the wardrobe or personal stylist of talent make maybe in 2013 I will work on it

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitney...

First of all, those folks have to listen to the jabber from some of those people for HOURS.... they are underpaid if you ask me....

This has been like this for years.... well respected hair and stylists make a great deal of money... If they work specifically for an actor or actress, the sky is the limit as the person is a must hire...

It's just the way it is, don't let it bother you.. try not to worry what other people make, do the best job you can getting your pay, go home and have a cocktail... such is life...

It's a very slippery slope when you start comparing your worth to that of others. Avoid it.

Worry about your own salary and no one else's. If you feel you deserve more, make a case for it, but not a comparative case. Argue why you deserve more for your work.

+1

Remember how suddenly people starting screaming about how much teachers make and how they have health care? Instead of demanding the same for themselves.

I look it as part of the star salary, so I don't feel like anyone is shorting me to pay for an expensive "personal" crew member. It bothered me a lot more previously too, but I've learned a happy actor makes everything run more efficiently. For a producer, the personals are just a way of keeping the stars on their team. We've all seen how things go when the star and producer are at odds.

Robert

I look it as part of the star salary, so I don't feel like anyone is shorting me to pay for an expensive "personal" crew member. It bothered me a lot more previously too, but I've learned a happy actor makes everything run more efficiently. For a producer, the personals are just a way of keeping the stars on their team. We've all seen how things go when the star and producer are at odds.

Robert

+1 this is how I feel now too

Everyone on the crew can effect the actor, from a P.A. right up to the producers. So, to say the HMU people deserve more pay because they put the actor at ease is BS. The boom op can make or break their day, a grip can be proactive and set up a courtesy flag to shade an actor, and a make up person can do their job by talking with the actor. It's part of their job and they shouldn't be paid a huge premium simply to do their job.

" It actual doesn't bother me like it did two years ago "

that's good, because that is the way it has been, and will continue to be.

Maybe someday you'll get a gig like that: Personal Sound Person to (Johnny Depp??)

" The boom op can make or break their day, "

Remember: What the STAR says, goes...

so you don't want them saying your name!

As with Whitney, you, too could aspire to become some star's person Soundie!

I would provide the extra comteks and recorder and bill for it. When asked why, tell them that (insert persons name here) requested this and and it was not part of the original deal. And I believe by law, you keep the backup recording until they pay. If the person requesting the extras was the one who made the deal, than you did the right thing by refusing. To avoid a confrontation, just politely say, "Im sorry, that wasn't in the original agreement therefore I didn't bring that in my kit". If its not there you can't use it. ;-)

I have gotten into the habit of only building my kit with only what is agreed upon I can use this out. I usually have the extras there, but they don't know that.

There are lots of positions on set. Some make more than I do, some make less. They picked their careers, I picked mine. Hair and makeup have headaches that I don't have and vice versa. One of my recipes for a happy life is not to worry too much about what others have, I just worry about me and mine.

There are lots of positions on set. Some make more than I do, some make less. They picked their careers, I picked mine. Hair and makeup have headaches that I don't have and vice versa. One of my recipes for a happy life is not to worry too much about what others have, I just worry about me and mine.

+1

I just worked a 2-day industrial shoot, and of the 15 cars in the crew area of the parking lot, 14 were modest economy cars... and one was a sporty, new BMW. The makeup person owned the BMW. (Seriously.)

I drive my X5 to work all the time. Sometimes I get that token "man, sound guys must make bank! What are they paying you?...". I'm often compelled to say that while I usually do get a pretty good rate for my efforts, the X5 was previously owned, and I actually paid under $20k for it. I got a great deal on it, and am confident my wife and daughter will be safe in the winter.

Perception doesn't always match reality... BMW's are nice vehicles, but anymore they're everywhere... not quite the status symbol they once were -- now if I pulled up to set in a Bugatti Veyron... ;)

~tt

That's probably because the MKU person can work on more jobs than a mixer.

Eric

Great point -- especially in larger, more saturated markets -- one could probably effectively "set-hop" between 3 or 4 productions in one day, as long as they had a competent crew under them...

Also, don't forget about all those gigs for which a Soundie is not required -- if there are humans in frame, they'll likely need H/Mu... I'm fine with whatever they pull in, as long as they don't spray that spritzer or hairspray toward me or my gear. I've actually had to warn the camera crew several times lately on separate jobs to cover their lenses because of this -- in which case, yes - the "vanity" in question is definitely overpaid. Oh well, life is not fair, is it?

~tt

Whitney, I live just up the road from you in Atlanta, and while I hate when producers lie about parity, I am fine with what makeup artists are paid in general.

As friend to an very experienced feature MU key or two, I have to say, their kit costs as much as many carts... and is allmost all expendables that have to be replaced every year... a cosmetic product likely can be used for ONE talent on ONE project at maximum... and if you have never priced good quality cosmetics, it'll shock you.

They are also perishable...

and the applicators are also very expensive...

Also, a lot of their rate is based on the hours they are present, and on the lack of turnaround and frequent meal penalties they get.

On top of this, if a talent wakes up pissed off at them, bye bye makeup artist.

On corporate, I sometimes make more than they do, sometimes less... usually more if the talent is not a big name.. by the hour, about the same rate for me as for them.. but fewer hours of work..

I have had nothing but great experiences with make up people. I believe their work is important and actually not very easy. They apply a lot of skills and their tools and makeup are very expensive.

They carry a heavier load then us and most of the time have difficult time setting up and working on location.

They spend the most important time with the talent "before the shoot starts" and most of the time a factor in the talents mood.

I have seen a make up people putting their hand on the top of the lav location to protect it from make up dust.

Whatever they make they deserve it. And I am not just saying it because some of my friends are makeup people.

Actually, the make-up person who owned the BMW was extremely helpful and cooperative, plus production put her in the position of having to get release form signatures from all the people we interviewed (40 in all!). She was very, very good at what she did.

Also the hottest-looking person on the set, but that goes without saying...

I worked on a commercial last week ... 3 producers, 3 PAs, 3 grips, 3 electrics, 2 camera, 1 makeup, 1 wardrobe, 1 crafty, 30 talent and extras. Makeup and wardrobe earned every bit of their salary on that one.

Also keep in mind that there are quite a few smaller corp and doc jobs where they will spring for sound but not makeup with in some cases camera or a field producer fudging it with a little powder.

For what its worth as others have said on jobs where they are there they make every penny.

• 2 weeks later...

At least the HMU people work for their money unlike so many associate producers I see walking around the sets.

So true!... Although the other side of that coin will show that many of them had to at least let the production use their house for a location (which will wind up costing them a great deal in the end.) >:D

~tt