Vertical carts can become horizontal if you are not careful

osa

This is too funny, at least in hindsight. First time ever my double alarm for an early call this morning was set for PM by mistake, so after 20yrs i am finally in sync with time of day on my slate.  I am now switching my phone clock to 24 hr time. There was a mad rush to just barely make it in on time this morning (and talent even more late than I was which was an added bonus). Pushing my vertical cart in a hurry to beat the rain on top of it all, went down a small slope into the street to get to the loading dock and went DOWN on the cart. Literally. Cart fell forward and stupid me did not let go. I can laugh at it all now with only a few scraped shins from the metal but certainly could have been a lot worse. Thank god no traffic on that particular street.  Somewhere there is also laughter i am sure by the viewer on a security cam somewhere as i am sure it looked comical. 

Vertical cart owners - be sure to slow your roll and remember to back down slopes. Be safe out there!

"Big wheels first!"  One of my first lesson as a SUT from an early mentor.

And yes, it happened to an early cart of mine; I was not driving.  :)  You know what happens when your cart goes over, right?  Nagra Falls.

Then I built up the last cart of my career, horizontal and steel.  It caused other issues to be sure but it was never gonna fall over.

D,

Once in the middle of the CBD, during peak hour rush, the small front wheels hit something and the cart abruptly stopped. Alas the top of the cart and I had too much motion and we both went over. Thankfully the only damage was to my ego. If the ground is even slightly rough, the cart gets tilted back onto the large rear wheels. 

In the first version of my primary cart i had everything so compact that the front “feet” were kind of tucked under the pelican case. I found out the hard way on a job that it had no forward stability as a medium gust of wind knocked it over forward and sent my mixing bag rolling on the pavement. Fortunately nothing was damaged, but i quickly designed long front feet that stick out and stablize the whole thing.  A good lesson learned the hard way. 

On 5/16/2023 at 8:44 AM, tourtelot said:

You know what happens when your cart goes over, right?  Nagra Falls.

Hahahaha. Best sound mixer dad joke ever.