Is big brother watching my language?

André Boisvert

Here's an odd one; in another thread about wireless return with camera hops, I typed the sentence "This year, for the first time, the backups saved my a.s.s "(without the periods). After hitting preview, the sentence came out "This year, for the first time, the backups saved my beauty." I hit preview again, same result. I ended up changing the apparently offending word for "butt".

I tried again with this post; a.s.s comes out beauty.

Is this some programmer's quirky signature?

Interestingly, Fu#$ comes out as 'friend'. But Cu#$ comes out as Cu#$. How odd

Odd indeed. It's apparently changed previous posts too. In http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6317.msg49867#msg49867, I wrote in reply #5 the expression 'f.u.c.k the truck', which has been replaced by 'friend' the truck. Anyone reading that now won't understand.

Well, you found me out. I'm not Big Brother but I did do some experiments with the Language Censor feature of this forum (figuring it might make light of some of Oleg's more colorful posts) and of course I was well aware of the odd consequences --- thanks for pointing these things out. I will probably deactivate the word censor function now that we all know what it can do.

Fuck it...  maybe I will just continue to let it make an ass of me.

-  Jeff Wexler

So, having a 'particular' persons post filled with replacement words will only make an already difficult read, almost an impossible read.

Jeff, does the program require using the same replacement word each time or could it be a random selection? So, instead of yielding "friend" and "beauty" every time, it might substitute "fiduciary" and "balun" or some other selections of words that might, uhm, enhance the context.

David