Evaluation

Jeff Wexler

I think I need to do a little more re-thinking regarding this new site. One thing I am going to do is put up a different theme (the look of the site) which will allow me to incorporate some of the features and functions we are not happy with here. The decision may be made to abandon this new site altogether and just go back to using the old site we know and love.

I think I need to do a little more re-thinking regarding this new site. One thing I am going to do is put up a different theme (the look of the site) which will allow me to incorporate some of the features and functions we are not happy with here. The decision may be made to abandon this new site altogether and just go back to using the old site we know and love.

Really going to be doing some thinking this weekend. Also realizing that working on movies is WAY easier than doing all this stuff!

One of the things that seem to be missing from here are the tagging of replys as "Re". Now every reply looks like it's the original one. Then there's my favorite pet peeve of the erratic auto switch from new to old thread tags. It works fine on some threads but not on others. Comming here is like going on a blind date, you never know what you're going to see. :blink: Fear not JW In whatever iteration this site morphs to, we've got your back.

Eric

The new site is growing on me. I favor new posts on the top, but I notice that when I return to IP.Board, I'm brought to the first new post since my last visit (at least, I think that's what's happening). So I'm feeling more flexible on that front.

However, if the whole JWS community doesn't migrate and become active over here, well that's an issue.

A few years ago I moved an email list I manage from topica to yahoogroups. We moved about 3,000 list members and made the process as easy as possible members. But list activity really dropped for the first month of our move while people got used to the new home. And list members had way less to get used to than with the JWS move from the old boards to these new boards. After a month, things returned to normal and our discussions returned to normal (or as normal as documentary filmmaker discussions ever are).

That said, Jeff''s new software doesn't seem all that bad. In fact, it seems pretty great. So perhaps the technical issues are settled or settling. The human issues probably just need a little more time.

But as others have said, I'll support whatever Jeff decides to do.

Good work on the migration and dealing with the moving pains. I'm sure it is more work than it first appears, as the issues start to pop up. Thanks for your commitment!

Why is my picture "fat", it makes my face look wide... wahh!!!

The picture that you see next to posts is your Avatar image. This site uses 2 images, a Profile image and an Avatar. Both need to be SQUARE in aspect ratio otherwise it will look strange. Also, if you keep the images small, no more than 120x120 to begin with, the auto-size routine will do less damage. That's about all I know about these things.

One thing I would love to see would be to have a view that shows all posts on the same page. So one could scroll down, and down, and even more down and see all 500 postings on the "Who Am I?" topic (for example).

I also prefer dates (with years) to words like "yesterday" or "today." However it looks, I will make myself get used to it and love it.

As always I am so grateful and impressed that a busy "big timer" like Mr. Wexler even has the time and wherewithal to follow through with this amazing vision... So thanks JW, and keep on keepin' on!

Dan Izen

One thing I would love to see would be to have a view that shows all posts on the same page. So one could scroll down, and down, and even more down and see all 500 postings on the "Who Am I?" topic (for example).

Well, if you locate a topic heading, like "Who I am Today", you will get a list that you can scroll down (or up, there's that issue again) and see everything that has ever been posted. In the case of "Who I am Today" you're looking at 21 pages!

You can look at all 21 pages HERE

At the top right corner of the page, click on "My Settings". Under "Your Options" is a tab labeled, "Forum", you can change the "Topic Display" to "Outline". That will give you this view when you select a topic.

This shows up below the post selected.

On your personal Settings page, under Forums, you can increase the number of posts per page up to 40.

Yes thank you this was what I was looking for, but not limited to 40! Don't care for the outline view but it would make it easy to see lots in a long thread, if only it wasn't such a click-fest to switch to get to it.

Now that I look at it, it seems that each post has a greater "minimum space" than on the old site. What I mean is each post seems to take up more of the screen, making fewer posts visible at a time compared to the old site. I'll get used to it of course.

Dan Izen

Now that I look at it, it seems that each post has a greater "minimum space" than on the old site. What I mean is each post seems to take up more of the screen, making fewer posts visible at a time compared to the old site. I'll get used to it of course.

Dan Izen

Some of these annoying things will change as I continue to adjust how the site is going to function. The extra space is a bother and I am looking into possible ways to change this. I am not quite so pessimistic as to the advancement of technology and progress, though sensitive to the issue, of course, I do have great hopes for this particular bit of new tech for our Group.

Some of these annoying things will change as I continue to adjust how the site is going to function. The extra space is a bother and I am looking into possible ways to change this. I am not quite so pessimistic as to the advancement of technology and progress, though sensitive to the issue, of course, I do have great hopes for this particular bit of new tech for our Group.

(Yes I ranted and luckily deleted it before someone quoted it!) Well y'know now that I look again the text box seems wider and able to fit more text, so the longer posts seem to take up less room than before, while the short posts seem to take up more. Maybe it's an optical illusion.

I forgot to mention Jeff, that I tried that link of all 21 pages of the "Who I Am Today" and in fact I got a page with pages, not the huge long 21-pages-long list. So yes that would be great if I could look at an entire thread all at once, but having the option of going up to 40 is still good! Thanks!

Dan

I miss the recent posts list that was at the bottom of the page on the old site. The "new content" link seems to randomly choose what the cut off time is, whereas before the list was just the 20 or 25 posts. The time is totally wacky (for instance right now it's 9am here, and the page is listing new content since 12:14pm. Where is it 12:14pm?

I think the "new content" link should just list the 20 - 50 most recent posts, no matter when they were posted. I still miss the simplicity of the old site. This site kind of reminds me of MySpace, which I've always hated.

Dan Izen

I miss the recent posts list that was at the bottom of the page on the old site. The "new content" link seems to randomly choose what the cut off time is, whereas before the list was just the 20 or 25 posts. The time is totally wacky (for instance right now it's 9am here, and the page is listing new content since 12:14pm. Where is it 12:14pm?

I think the "new content" link should just list the 20 - 50 most recent posts, no matter when they were posted. I still miss the simplicity of the old site. This site kind of reminds me of MySpace, which I've always hated.

Dan Izen

So sorry to hear the you hate MY space... I hate MySpace too but I certainly don't hate THIS space! We will work through these things. At this point on this site there is not an equivalent to the list of 18 most recent posts that we had on the old site, right below the forum listings. We do have, however, a multitude of ways to view all of the content that is here on this site, new, old, recent since last visit, top to bottom, bottom to top, all posts by The Senator, etc., etc. As for the TIME discrepancy, have you checked your personal profile settings to see what time zone you have put yourself in? This massy clear up some of the problem. Also, I will check and see if there are parameters that set what tike frame the New Content is pulled from.

Dan Izen

Izen Ears: there is another setting you should check besides your timezone, and that is a personal preference setting: My Settings > Settings > Search Settings

where you can choose how you want "View New Content" to display. "Show me all new content since my last visit" OR "Show me all content I have not read"

It goes without saying, but I will say it, ALL of these features require that your browser is handling cookies properly for this site. The use of a cookie is the only way the site can track anything that relates to you individually. If you have your browser set to NOT accept cookies, for example, none of these routines will work for you.

Izen Ears: there is another setting you should check besides your timezone, and that is a personal preference setting: My Settings > Settings > Search Settings

where you can choose how you want "View New Content" to display. "Show me all new content since my last visit" OR "Show me all content I have not read"

It goes without saying, but I will say it, ALL of these features require that your browser is handling cookies properly for this site. The use of a cookie is the only way the site can track anything that relates to you individually. If you have your browser set to NOT accept cookies, for example, none of these routines will work for you.

It's all good by me so far. I like the new color scheme.

phil p

"I miss the recent posts list "

well, deal with it!

The car I traded in had a really cool powered railgate, the new one doesn't; the new car has lots of cool stuff the older one didn't. I'm already well over it!

BTW, I'm really getting on with "View New Content" (the time referenced is connected with your last login, or complete refreshing of the page, and as the list is chronological, and clearly indicates new material, it is quite easy to deal with)...

I also am using "Fast Reply"

I'm down with it all here!

Yes somehow the site thought I was in Switzerland so that explains the time thing. But how does it determine when I last logged in? I keep the page open so would it judge that by the last time I clicked on anything, or refreshed the page or what? Maybe it will be better now that the time zone is set right, I did have cookies accepted and the "view all new content since last logged in" selected.

It's funny that will all these customizable options there's no way to view an entire thread in one page, nor a way to keep a generic list of the 18 most recent posts.

Senator - clearly I am dealing with it by posting my thoughts. Possibly speaking for others too shy to post criticisms. So if you were implying that I was somehow not dealing with it you should instead go talk to all the folks who haven't switched over - now they're truly not dealing with it! And what the hell is "quick reply"? I see no button or option to do this. Nor can I figure out how to multi-quote.

I think the color scheme is fine, it's all these options and buttons that bug me. For example why do we need the justify options? What kind of maniac wants to center or right-justify their post? And who needs to insert a numbered list? I know I'm not alone in missing the simplicity of the old site. But I am open minded enough to try to get sold on the new site, and once I am you can bet I will defend it to anyone!

And I'd prefer most recent posts at the top, like the old site. It makes sense for me to have to go back to "page 1" to see how the thread started.

Dan Izen

I think the color scheme is fine, it's all these options and buttons that bug me. For example why do we need the justify options? What kind of maniac wants to center or right-justify their post? And who needs to insert a numbered list? I know I'm not alone in missing the simplicity of the old site. But I am open minded enough to try to get sold on the new site, and once I am you can bet I will defend it to anyone!

And I'd prefer most recent posts at the top, like the old site. It makes sense for me to have to go back to "page 1" to see how the thread started.

Dan Izen

Okay, settle down (mostly the Senator, I think Izen Ears is being quite reasonable), I miss the simplicity of the old site too! There were lots and lots of compelling reasons to move to this new platform, and believe me, I spent weeks and weeks searching for something that would preserve all the things we learned to like with the old site. So, have I succeeded 100%? Hardly, but I think I've done all right and I am continuing work on anything and everything that concerns me and our members.

" What kind of maniac wants to center or right-justify their post? And who needs to insert a numbered list? "

it is included as part of the editor, anyone is free to not use this stuff.

Jeff has already explained "Multi-quote" (which you also do not need to use).

if you click multi-quote on several replies, all of the replies you clicked it for are quoted in your reply.

Fast Reply is located just below the last (latest) post in a thread...

...and of course there continues the raging arguments for latest (newest) post on top, or on the bottom. When I go through "View New Content" to threads, it puts the original post on top (however far back that is), but my view is set at the first post I have not seen, and goes down to the latest post. I personally find that verrrrrry intuative, and exactly how I'd like to read the forums, so I use it that way.

Having way too many options, BTW, is not simpler.