my newly arrive nomad have problem on ch3

joinwoo

I just have test my newly arrive nomad in location, however i discover that the input 3 channel have problem or easily overload, when i turn the trim above around 10 db , it starting missing sound and suddenly have few clipping and miss sound again..... i havetest other device on ch 3 , same problem, i test the device orginal use in CH3 in input 4, no problem occur.... what should i suppose to do? the limiter setting are same in every channel..... my firmware is 2.71

I sense that you are working at a considerable distance from Zaxcom in New Jersey and, probably, also from a dealer familiar with the product. Under ordinary circumstances, one would take the machine back to the dealer so that you and the dealer representative could carefully go over all the settings to confirm that there was no user error that might contribute to the problem. For example, is that input accidentally set for 12-volt phantom power instead of 48-volt phantom? (Unlikely, I know, but I cite that as illustration not as an actual probable cause.)

It is also helpful in the same way to carefully review all settings with another professional sound recordist. These things, particularly when there are many complex settings, can become like proof-reading; one passes over the same error time and again without seeing it.

If that sort of collaboration is not readily available, there is a next-best-thing. According to page 43 of the User Manual (available online from Zaxcom.com), all of the user-settable parameters may be saved to your mirror CF card. This is to make it easy to move from one Nomad to another while maintaining consistent settings. It may also serve as a detailed record of all your settings so that a technician familiar with the machine could review all the settings to confirm that there is no operator error. Save your settings to the CF card and then e-mail that data to customer support at Zaxcom.

If they are not able to find a source of your problem, you may then need to send the machine back for service. But, first confirm it isn't a configuration problem.

David

david...thanks for ur advice... i use wirless mic in the ch3,so no phantom is set...i use another wireless both are lectrosonic 400 and dpa 4060 lava mic... when i shift to ch 4,5,6 ,problems seems not happen, and i also try to figure out what pattern of it occur...i just conclude that in sometimes it is in good working status.... it seems like software bug causing latency or the plug easily get overheated, but all that i guess.....

After few times different testing, seems still point to hardware problem.... because other channel never occur similar situation..

Do u have any advice for this issue? or could you plz share your experience

?

The issue went away and so far hasn't come back. So it seems to be intermittant. I just rebuilt all of my interconnect cables and I'm not sure but it seems to have helped. I'm updating my firmware to 2.68 and will check back in after I do that.

Best,

Bernie

Bernie

For my case , it seems irrelevant to the cable , since i have try same cable and same set on other channel seems ok....But honestly speaking , i guess that is hardware problem.....because my testing is not using nay precise tester , and do u problems happen more than once?

Bernie

For my case , it seems irrelevant to the cable , since i have try same cable and same set on other channel seems ok....But honestly speaking , i guess that is hardware problem.....because my testing is not using nay precise tester , and do u problems happen more than once?

The problem came and went twice. I've got the latest software installed (2.74), new cables, and now I'm going to leave the Nomad on until the external battery runs down to see if the problem comes back. Right now its working with no issues.

I already updated to 2,74 and my situation is the meter stuck up and have some digital bit signal as i move the trim ...... but sound is miss during the triming.....i discover the problems mostly occur when no phantom power apply, wireless set....

That's exactly what mine was doing. The issue seems to be gone now. I took Jack's advice about restoring to factory default. He also suggested that I manually reset the settings not recall them from the saved version on the card. Good Luck!

I have call factory setting and test again.... same problem again ...and I tried this for already 4-5 times .....

After than ,

and I try route Card mix . Input 3 to Ch4 post fader by other setting still is factory setting

and Input3 prefader to Ch3 ...

by no other input connected...... only input 3 connect to my tascam dr 100.... both Ch3 and 4 stuck up after few minute and no sound with Headphone........

I even try pull out all card ,then rest factory setting..... the problem is exactly the same...