A smaller ERX1TCD with TC only for slate use.

RadoStefanov

Or the TSC is too small for the ERX1TCD... Get a TS-3 instead. Generally, Editors dont care about user bits, so not sure what your point is here.. & BTW the cable u r using is ridiculously huge... :blink:

The cable was made for TS-3.

And I love the size of the TS-C. The numbers part on both slates are the same size.

rotate the erx1 90 degrees to the left?

I tried that but did not like it.

I tested how much the Nomad/ERX1TCD drifts from the Denecke.

First test gave me accurate TC 3 & 1/2 hours after Jam.

I have to test a little more. If both Zax and Denecke gear are pretty stable together maybe I would not even worry about sticking ERX1TCD on the slate.

I"ve found Denecke time code to be more accurate than Zaxcom's. Of course, Denecke is the time code standard, so that's the way it should be.

I've just recently calibrated several of my time code devices (Deva V, Nomad, two SB2A boxes, and a TS3) to all be within about three-tenths of a frame of each other, and a GR-1, in a six hour period. The Nomad was originally a little over a frame out in six hours -- now it's within a tenth of a frame in the same time period.

All measurements were made relative to a Denecke GR-1 which is in almost perfect sync (less than a tenth of a frame out in six hours) with both of my two SB2A boxes that were calibrated by Denecke not too long ago. The TS3 was calibrated at the same time, and was still within Denecke's published specs (about 2/3 of a frame in six hours), but is now more than twice that accurate. The Deva V was out of spec, and well due for a re-calibration, but is now also within two or three-tenths of a frame in six hours.

I definitely geeked out on the perfectionism, but like the confidence of knowing that all the devices are tightly calibrated.

I've just recently calibrated several of my time code devices (Deva V, Nomad, two SB2A boxes, and a TS3) to all be within about three-tenths of a frame of each other, and a GR-1, in a six hour period. The Nomad was originally a little over a frame out in six hours -- now it's within a tenth of a frame in the same time period.

I'm curious how you calibrated the Nomad. There is no mention of calibrating the clock in the manual. Can you provide instructions?

Mark O.

I hesitate to offer adjustment instructions as I don't want to be held responsible for encouraging people to fiddle with the insides of their machines. Having said that, anything you do in that regard is entirely at your own discretion and risk, and I'm only discussing my calibration, and am not recommending what anyone else should do, or that anyone else should even consider following my example. Please note that if you should deem to undertake such foolishness, your mileage may vary and your world may come to a cataclysmic end.

In case it wasn't obvious, THAT WAS A DISCLAIMER.

There is an adjustment on the crystal oscillator that I tweaked inside each device. I made an adjustment tool by filing down a jewelers screwdriver to fit (and they're not all exactly the same size). I used a Denecke GR-1 to make the comparisons over time and kept a comparison log, hour by hour, for each device. The process took a lot of trial and error, but I'm quite satisfied with the results. I set up a situation where I could test all the devices simultaneously over a several hour period for each test -- and it took many tests to get everything dialed in. This is something I did over a few day period.

Like I said, I geeked out.

FINAL DISCLAIMER: Kids, don't try this at home.

Also the ERX will give you a very slight latency. If I recall correctly I believe it is something like a tenth of a frame - or something like that - due to the zaxnet processing and transmission.
i have notices that the erx1tcd is very inconsistent with the tc display. I have had from 1 to 4 frames difference in the same unit. But that is not important as long as the tc output is correct

There is an adjustment on the crystal oscillator that I tweaked inside each device. I made an adjustment tool by filing down a jewelers screwdriver to fit (and they're not all exactly the same size). I used a Denecke GR-1 to make the comparisons over time and kept a comparison log, hour by hour, for each device. The process took a lot of trial and error, but I'm quite satisfied with the results. I set up a situation where I could test all the devices simultaneously over a several hour period for each test -- and it took many tests to get everything dialed in. This is something I did over a few day period.

Like I said, I geeked out.

Geeked out indeed. Although this piques my interest, I think I can live with one frame drift every six hours (the manual claims 1.54 PPM or 1 frame out in 6 hours, page 67). Imagine the kind of damage the average user can do with a small screwdriver and a $XXXX unit.

I am happy to report that after 12 hours after jam my slate and nomad have 3-4 frames difference. the Nomad was shutdown the entire time.

This is expected behavior. From page page 21 of the Feb 2012 manual, "Be aware, the Nomad’s timecode clock continues to run, with reduced accuracy, after the power is turned ‘OFF’."

Mark O.

I had timecode issues a while back with my Fusion and Denecke slate/sync boxes. The Fusion, based on my own tests, is about 2 frames out compared to the Denecke gear which is rock solid against each other over 12 hrs. I happen to also have 2 Fusions in my possession at the time and noticed they drifted against each other in 6 hrs. I came to the conclusion that Zaxcom's clocks are not as stable as the Denecke gear. Also, when the Fusion was powered off and back on for more than 15 mins or so, there is approximately 4 frames of drift.

So, to solve all the inconsistencies in timecode, I bought an extra Denecke SB-3 and attached it to the Fusion. Problem solved. Everything stayed in sync throughout the day. I don't have to worry about the Fusion's timecode drifting after power down.

I really wish Zaxcom would work with Denecke to incorporate their clocks like Sound Devices did with Ambient. The SD788T and 744T is very accurate against the Denecke gear.

Now that I have my Deva V and Nomad in skin tight calibration with my Deneckes, I'll be interested to see how solid they are over time. If necessary, it's easy enough to feed my cart (Deva V and backup machine) from a Denecke box, so I'm not concerned.

For now I have six devices that are all within a fraction of a frame over six or more hours, so I'm content.

This is expected behavior, correct? From page page 21 of the Feb 2012 manual, "Be aware, the Nomad’s timecode clock continues to run, with reduced accuracy, after the power is turned ‘OFF’."

Since then the TC accuracy has been worked on and greatly improved. In version 2.88 or 2.89 or so the clock that keeps the TC when Nomad is powered down was tweaked in software. So it is now should be pretty damm accurate. I did a test a while back with Nomad powered down and in 8 hours I had a one frame drift compared to my Deneke.