Funny grip electric guys

AudioMTL

The sound mixer was sick and was probably coughing a lot. The joke was probably something along the lines of "he's coughing a lot like he has some terrible disease".

What is one of the worst terrible diseases one can get? AIDS.

I see no insinuation of a joke aimed at homosexuals.

I give you....

This video to finish the remainder of my response to this topic. (start it at 3:13)

[quote name='atheisticmystic' timestamp='1339416796'

post='126436']

From the sign Robert, it DOES associate gay men with the disease. Thats the whole heterosexist point of the "joke". It wouldn't be considered a jab (friendly or not) to insinuate that someone is from sub-saharan Africa, or suffered contraction from a blood-transfusion. In this culture, men of that ilk (and apparently, now some women as well have been co-opted) insult other men by either giving them feminine traits (you hit like a girl!), or calling them a "fag" in some way.

The sound mixer was sick and was probably coughing a lot. The joke was probably something along the lines of "he's coughing a lot like he has some terrible disease".

What is one of the worst terrible diseases one can get? AIDS.

I see no insinuation of a joke aimed at homosexuals.

I've got to say I agree with this assessment. The sign is not very funny or original, and perhaps in poor taste as I mentioned before, but as I also mentioned we ought to be beyond the direct association of AIDS and homosexuality.

Your friendly neighborhood screaming liberal,

Robert

What's unfortunate in this situation is that you've elected this person, the sign writer, to be the foremost representative of Grips and Electricians everywhere. I think you would have served the situation better by merely stating, a sign was posted on our truck/trailer by one of the most insensitive and homophobic people on our crew, period. It makes no difference what department he/she was/is in.

Do you really think that a Grip's education goes something like, "Okay, remember this, lefty-loosy and righty-tighty. And whenever a sound person has the sniffles, we call it AIDS!"

I've known many great people who were/are Grips and Electricians alike. I was also brought up in a family that had many gay people, both men and women, in and out of our lives.

I'm shocked that RPSharman feels that we're "beyond...." any association of AIDS and the GAY community. Unfortunately, we're not, if you really want to break it down, CrewC's joke is homophobic, why, because it insinuates that you contract "hearing AIDS" by listening to too many "assholes." Gay men engage in the act of sodomy, anal sex, and it was originally thought that this had a direct link to contracting the disease, or correctly the HIV-virus. So to infer, that by listening to an asshole, you'll contract AIDS, is homophobic in my book.

There is nothing funny about AIDS, Magic Johnson does NOT have AIDS, he is HIV positive for the VIRUS that causes AIDS. AIDS is what kills you after you've contracted the virus, it attacks your autoimmune system, and you die a slow and painful death.

Ricky Gervais is a "shock comic," in my opinion, and the video posted is in poor taste. They show how uncomfortable they are within the scene and no one's laughing, and that's his idea of presenting AIDS in a funny way. I prefer to disagree.

This is not about Grips, or Electricians, or even Neanderthals, this is about living amongst one another in a civilized and respectful way.

By the way, those jokes you tell as "Grip Jokes," the Grips tell the same jokes as Sound Geek jokes, believe it.

RVD

RVD, I certainly see your POV. I never looked at the joke as anything other than a play on words and stereotypes myself. I thought it was clever when I heard Paul Mazursky tell it. Just as I thought the one he told about Jewish American Princess's having a new strain of AIDS called MAIDS. "They will die if they don't get one." They are just jokes. Funny? All in the mind of the audience I suppose. Sort of like the "Red River" tape we laughed at so many times. Good taste, poor taste? Hard to say. The use of humor for those in war, disease, death has a long and useful tradition in many cultures. A coping mechanism if you will. I'm not condoning poor taste but I like to laugh as well as cry personally. As many others, I have lost friends and family to AIDS, Cancer, you name it. I respect all but I can laugh at and with them and myself on most days, Here is a joke sure to offend all. Do you know how they make films in Poland? Just like we do....

CrewC

Well I am not shocked that RVD is shocked at my POV. I've become accustomed to it.

My mother's best friend when I was a child was gay. He was a great friend to our family and a great man. I found out at a young age that he was gay, after repeating the word "fag" I had heard in school, when my mother said to me, "Peter is gay. Do you want to start disliking him now?"

I gew up doing lots of community theatre, and lost friends/mentors to AIDS. My kids were brought up to believe that homosexuality is just as natural as heterosexuality in the sense that people are born being attracted to the gender they are attracted to. We don't tolerate racism or homophobia in our household.

My statement about being "beyond" associating homosexuality with AIDS was made based on the hope that we SHOULD be beyond it. Oversensitivity to "liberal" issues has stalled progress by continuing to associate one issue with another in a negative way, perpetuating the perception by continuing to draw it in that light.

An AIDS joke will always be a gay joke if people continue to whine about it. People make jokes about all kinds of diseases. People make jokes about death, disease, rape, child molestation, and all sorts of other horrible things. For some people, it's the only way to make sense of it. AIDS is a horrible thing, and as I stated twice, I believe the photo in the original post to not be very funny, and perhaps in poor taste. But as for it being homophobic, well...

And for the record, I laugh just as heartily at jokes the grips make about sound guys as I do about the jokes made about grips.

People have truly lost sight of the big picture. We ought not to take ourselves so seriously. Step back and smile once in a while.

And Ricky Gervais is a genius. Funny. Relevant. And completely supports my point that closemindedness is the root of negativity, be it in one direction or the other.

Robert

People have truly lost sight of the big picture. We ought not to take ourselves so seriously. Step back and smile once in a while.

Robert

+1

I would see the sign posted on the grip truck as a chance to joke back with them and build the camaraderie that is needed between two departments. Working on a gig where the soundies are fighting with the grips is going to take its toll on the "big picture".

+1

I would see the sign posted on the grip truck as a chance to joke back with them and build the camaraderie that is needed between two departments. Working on a gig where the soundies are fighting with the grips is going to take its toll on the "big picture".

+1

Relax...