Sound Carts up on my Web Gallery

Jeff Wexler

Quite awhile ago Bob Marts gave me a huge collection of images of sound carts which we wanted to put up somewhere for people to be able to browse and get ideas. These are from sound mixers all over the world and there is quite as variety of carts and approaches, and quite an interesting array of equipment in use. I was somewhat reluctant to post these because neither Bob nor I have been able to identify many of the carts and their owners. I decided to put it up anyway and the easiest place to put them was on my Web Gallery. Here is the link:  < http://gallery.mac.com/jwsound#100100 >

Regards,  Jeff Wexler (and special thanks to Bob for gathering all these images)

Secondly, the link doesn't work for me.  I get an "A script on this page may be busy or may have stopped responding..." message.  I'm on a PC -- an IBM ThinkPad in this case.

John Blankenship

For those unable to get the Web Gallery link working, you can now go to my regular website, photo page and then to the View Sound Cart Gallery. This will work (although I posted images which display smaller than I intended... sorry).

My site:  < jwsound.net >

-  Jeff Wexler

Hey, Philip, I think I can set it so that you can add to the gallery, if what you are referring to is the Web Gallery, not the images posted at my website. I will look and see if this can be done --- I know I set it so that people can download the images from the Web Gallery.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

hey jeff,

quite a cool link.  one trouble i have is that if i click a pic to see it up close, the resolution seems to be pretty bad.  is that just because of the original pixel size of the images?

-greg-

Yes --- I screwed up when I batch processed all the images (some were very high resolution and quite large) so now I am left with uniformity, but uniformly bad.

-  JW

Would it be possible to add in the cart images posted to this site?  Some very innovative rigs have come thru here lately, it would be great to access the whole "library" together.

Philip Perkins

I have now set it up so you CAN upload images to the site and have them added to the Sound Cart Gallery. Make sure that "Options" are not hidden and you will see a toolbar of sorts that provides buttons to download images, download the whole gallery or upload your own images. I do not know yet what hurdles you may have to jump through to upload, so just go ahead and try.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 1 month later...

Cleaned up my 16 year old cart to get ready for my annual film. See it here: http://gallery.mac.com/jwsound#100100. Still gets the job done nicely. Equipment top to bottom: Lectro Venue, Fostex DC powered rack speakers (my modification), Deva 5 recorder, Sonosax SX-ST mixer, Drawer for transmitters and granola bars, distribution amp (I built it in 1979), TT patch bay, power amplifier, Comtek BST-216 basestation xmiltter, MEON power supply. (see the close-up to see how many amps I'm pulling.

Glen Trew

Cleaned up my 16 year old cart to get ready for my annual film. See it here: http://gallery.mac.com/jwsound#100100. Still gets the job done nicely. Equipment top to bottom: Lectro Venue, Fostex DC powered rack speakers (my modification), Deva 5 recorder, Sonosax SX-ST mixer, Drawer for transmitters and granola bars, distribution amp (I built it in 1979), TT patch bay, power amplifier, Comtek BST-216 basestation xmiltter, MEON power supply. (see the close-up to see how many amps I'm pulling.

Glen Trew

Glenn, what model of boom do you use as antennae mast?

Guest option d

Glen,

I drove down from Louisville a couple of weeks ago to pick up some equipment and I was admiring your cart.  I had asked about the availablility of the MEON.  We're finishing up our cart and still need a power solution.  Is it available for sell yet, or is it still in the works?  When I was there, you still had the DAT - the DEVA looks nice in there.

I'm currently using a K-Tek aluminum Avalon poll. It's inexpensive and strong. I'm also using a simple model of antenna bar. The one in the phone (but difficult to see) has two Lectro SNA folding dipole antennas for a Venue system and a modified SNA ( http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=868&cat=70&page=1 ) for my Comtek 216 base station transmitter. (sorry for the commercial link, but it's the only photo I could find).

Glen Trew

Hey Glen--do you ever take the door off your cart?  I remember an old Trew Audio pic of you w/ yr rig on a low-boy trailer for "Jersey Girl", and wondered if that door would be in the way.  Rockin' rig--very impressed that you are getting back in the saddle post your accident--have a great shoot.  Are you trying out anything new besides the Meon?

Philip Perkins

I'm currently using a K-Tek aluminum Avalon poll. It's inexpensive and strong. I'm also using a simple model of antenna bar. (...)

Glen Trew

Thank you Glen.

I just bought a Rode pole (as antenna mast) and I'm sort of dissapointed because you have to completely extend each section to properly lock it (!) So maybe the K-Tek Avalon would be great...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Philip,

Yes the front door of my cart does come off, but it rarely needs to. It's a simple matter of turning two latches and it's off. When taking it off I lose my video monitors (or have to relocate them) and I lose the desk. Sometimes it's a lifesaver, though, such as in a tight hallway.

Glen Trew

• 4 years later...

Sorry, folks, that is a REALLY old link to a non-operational site!

The best place for the Gallery of Sound Carts is either here at this site (use the "gallery" tab) or at the external gallery I have up using the SmugMug service: Gallery of Sound Carts - on the web