Roland R-88

VASI

• 3 months later...

With the SD 664 and the R-88, it looks like the end for the Tascam Hs-P82 considering price and flexibility.

J.D.

Maybe. Maybe not. We are a Roland dealer and, will certainly sell some of the R88's, However, for $1,000.00 more you get The Tascam mic pres, which are excellent, color touch screen interface, rock solid TC generator and two removable media slots vs just the one for the Roland. I also much preferred the Tascam build quality over the Roland. We had a demo of the R88 in here yesterday and, while a nice unit for the price, at $2,500.00, it was not really priced low enough in my opinion to draw customers away from the HS-P82 at $3,500.00. One thing I noticed also was that the permanently tilted screen on the R-88 was tilted away from you went put into a bag, making it difficult to see. You could , of course, flip it around. But then, all of the controls and metering would be upside down. On the Tascam, the screen can be adjusted down into a flat position for better viewing. I think the Roland will be a very nice tool for the user who wants to move beyond a Zoom or FR-2TC, but still see's the HS-P82 and certainly the SD 664 as too much of a financial reach but, I am not sure it is enough to kill off the Tascam completely.

I've used the R-4 Pro many times, and while it had some structural problems (file naming, headphone monitoring, placement of buttons etc) I thought it was overall pretty solid for the relatively low price. If this builds on the same analogue parts as the Pro (which is not the same as in the r-44) and have better controls, it could be quite decent and I would probably not object to use one if it was given to me for a job.

I wonder if it has analogue filters and limiters? The R-4 Pro didn't, which made them quite useless on set.

Ultimately though, it's obviously not a recorder made solely for use on film sets, so there are drawbacks. It could be a great backup recorder, and if the price holds for the European market, maybe of interest for people new in the game that need many channels. For those who do a bit of everything - location, fx, music etc - it might be a very good value.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...