RIP - Ritchie Havens

Jeff Wexler

Ritchie Havens was the opening act at just about every concert I went to when I first moved to San Francisco in 1967. At the Fillmore, the Avalon Ballroom, Winterland...   I will miss him.

post-1-0-57805000-1366668580_thumb.jpeg

(Reuters) - U.S. folk musician Richie Havens, who opened the historic 1969 Woodstock musical festival and energized the crowd with his version of "Motherless Child/Freedom," died of a heart attack on Monday at the age of 72, his talent agency said.

Havens, who emerged from the New York folk scene in the 1960s, died at his home in Jersey City, New Jersey, Roots Agency President Tim Drake told Reuters.

"The Roots Agency represented Richie Havens for many years and regrets to post of his passing on April 22, 2013," the agency said on its website.

Known for his driving guitar and soulful covers of pop and folk songs, Havens recorded, performed and toured for more than four decades, using acoustic guitar music to champion the causes of personal freedom and brotherhood. He retired from touring three years ago.

His family said a public memorial would be announced later and asked for privacy in the meantime.

"Beyond his music, those who have met Havens will remember his gentle and compassionate nature, his light humor and his powerful presence," his family said in a statement.

Havens' improvised version of the gospel song "Motherless Child" evolved into "Freedom" at Woodstock and became an anthem of the 1960s hippie generation. His performance of the song was included in the "Woodstock" concert movie and broadened his audience.

A different version of the "Freedom" song was included on the soundtrack of Quentin Tarantino's award-winning 2012 slavery era movie "Django Unchained."

Other Havens hits included versions of Beatles classics "Here Comes the Sun" and "Strawberry Fields Forever," and The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Courtney and I have a good Richie Havens story.  Fifteen years after Woodstock, we were both at Max Yasgur's farm prepping our (world's first computerized) teleprompters for a live NBC news show on a Sunday night (competing against 60 minutes) with Linda Ellerbee and Andrea Mitchell.  The theme, of course, was a Woodstock retrospective and the guests were William Kuntsler and a few others representative of that era.  As we finished the prep on the afternoon of the shoot it began to rain like a mutha.  We left for a long lunch and when we got back to the field late in the afternoon, no one else was back yet so we just sat in the van while huge rain poured down on us.  A limo pulled up, dropped off Richie Havens, and took off.  Richie's just standing there in the rain holding his guitar so we open up the door of the van and invite him in.  Super nice guy so we just sat there chatting for a while.  Very suddenly, the rain stopped and the late afternoon sun burst through a dramatic mass of storm clouds, sending bright rays streaking across the rolling fields.  It really was an incredibly striking image... and so reminiscent of the rain during the Woodstock concert.  We were in awe and no one said a word as the sun brightened... and Richie reached for his guitar and started to play "Here Comes the Sun".  I looked around and wondered if I would always be able to remember that moment.

I don't have a good story...only a chance to record Richie against a backdrop of the Arizona cliffs north of Phoenix.  A one person concert, it was just him, an audience of about 100 and his music echoing thru the canyons.  He was a total gentleman, a very cool person, and I wish I could find the DAT of that show that I rolled.  But alas, I can not!

RIP Mr. Havens...

cleve

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff:  Been a little jammed up as of late, and just now saw your post regarding Ritchie Havens. I had the opportunity to record him on a couple of occasions back in the '70's. Super nice guy, with loads of talent. Watching him play in that Woodstock segment always sent chills up my spine for the raw energy and spirit he exuded. One of the high points of the film, IMHO.

Not many left like him....

--Scott