Nagra Stories Sound-men won’t ever tell

On 10/24/2020 at 10:10 PM, Philip Perkins said:

Well, we DID have Big Drinks the day Nixon resigned.....

If what you say was the general feeling Philip, then it's a good thing I had the bottle of scotch in the picture, more true to form.  Look's like the unseen agent had BIG drinks also.  I was going to say I drank the bottle trying to get those f-ing cigarettes to smoke on their own. The cigarette would not give off enough smoke to show up in the picture. 

Did you know you have to puff on a cigarette to light it and get it to smoke fairly well?  Can't just hold a match to it in the ashtray. Even then, after puffing, very little smoke after you put the cigarette down.

I ended up using some model train smoke oil to keep it smoking so the camera could catch it. 

Did you know if you put just too much or too little Christmas tree smelling train oil on a cigarette either it bursts into flames or it won't light at all?  Let's just say I lost a lot of 30-year-old (newly opened) vintage cigarettes that day.

A big learning curve on capturing sitting cigarettes giving off smoke.  I should have drunk the scotch.
The house all smelling like ashtrays and burnt Christmas trees.   And I don't even smoke!! 😡

In the end as much of a hard time I had with the cigarettes, I do think the smoking cigarette adds life to the picture and puts it in the moment.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice! Thank you for posting this link. The "Nagra Stories Sound-men won't ever tell" from JBond is probably the best long running thread on the site, always providing such a wealth of history and inte

Both the bias and HF adjustments have to be made for each tape type. On the Nagra III this requires components to be changed.

As you can see from the previous video, everyone everywhere time and time again referrers to the old Nagra SN myth, the wrong story, told so many times over and over on the internet.  I have yet to

Posted Images

Hi,  I was wondering if anybody could help with this.   I just bought a Nagra E and the sound is only recording and playback on the left side.   I know the unit is a mono, but should not the sound be in the middle?   Is there something I'm missing?  Thanks, Aidan

How do you know, It's only recording on one side?
There is only one output speaker on the Nagra E, so it works as it should. 

Or, If you mean you want to add the output of the Nagra E to a stereo, if so you have to output to the input on both channels of the stereo.

Or, and most likely you mean it's only recording on one side of the tape?
The Nagra E is not a full track recorder. You have both sides of the tape to record on, in mono.

Or, Maybe I'm the one missing something here. 

On 11/4/2020 at 4:53 PM, Halo said:

Hi,  I was wondering if anybody could help with this.   I just bought a Nagra E and the sound is only recording and playback on the left side.   I know the unit is a mono, but should not the sound be in the middle?   Is there something I'm missing?  Thanks, Aidan

In the middle of what?   Your headphones? 

If you’re talking about your headphones, maybe you need a mono to stereo headphone jack adapter. Plugging stereo headphones into a mono Nagra will result in sound only coming out of one side, unless you use an adapter. 

• 2 weeks later...

There must be hundreds of channels in play here--I see small mics on individual string instruments, each BU singer with a handheld and so on.  Whoever put this on really put a lot of resources into it, and it sounds really good....except for the piano.    Gary Brooker used to play a real grand piano in PH live shows.  These guys had a whole orchestra+drum kit+rock band playing live, why have a flat-sounding digital piano?   The fidelity of the other instruments, esp the Hammond and the drum kit, just slaughter the sound of the piano.

13 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

except for the piano.    Gary Brooker used to play a real grand piano in PH live shows.  These guys had a whole orchestra+drum kit+rock band playing live, why have a flat-sounding digital piano?   The fidelity of the other instruments, esp the Hammond and the drum kit, just slaughter the sound of the piano.

I said the same thing about Eric Clapton’s 1994 album “From the Cradle”