Daniel Ignacio

Zoom F8n.

Thank you all for the very detailed replies! 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:04 PM, Rick Reineke said:

If you can live w/o some of the new features, you can probably save a lot of $$. Depends on what new features are important to you. For instance, I frequently need +4dB outputs for ENG work and the work-around would require some kind of line driver.

"I believe that: headphone amp is the same"

- Allegedly, the HP circuitry has been improved.

That's my situation right now. I'm leaning more towards the F8, because I haven't been in need of the +4dB output, and I don't really feel it will come soon. Until now, my only use for the outputs was to make a wireless camera hop. I choose the Sennheiser SK / EK - 300 model, for a scratch track. 

On 10/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, daniel said:

F8N: Switchable line I/P on XLR and pro level line O/P are worth the extra as the work rounds for either are not great for location people. Eg F8: carry different cables if you want the option to switch mic/line I/P and then add some redundancy to that (not to mention re-patching cables in the bag). Or for some reason your producer/director/camera op want line into their camera and a radio hop is not an option. At c. €1000 the chances are your radio channels and boom rig each cost more.

For now I'll be renting all my wireless systems, so I can choose my receivers output level to my need (limitation). I'll be using it the most for mic level inputs. 

So thank you very much everyone! I think I'm buying the stuff today. Wish me luck for not getting caught in buying triple of what I needed without having the money. 

https://wavreport.com/2019/02/27/review-zoom-f8n-the-full-realization-of-the-f8/

Final Thoughts

I would take, and have taken, the F8n into battle.  It not only held up to expectations, it in many ways exceeded them.  With a robust build quality, intuitive user interface, clean gain staging, great accessories, and shiny LED’s, I think that Zoom knocked it out of the park.

For a company that most pro audio users steered clear of in the past, they have certainly come a long way.  Stigma is a tough thing to surmount.  Because of the general climate of the industry as well as their past, it will take some time before Zoom can totally escape being thought of as prosumer.  However to those who spend some real time with the F8n,  I believe that the majority will see what a supreme effort that Zoom has given to delivering a product which professionals want and need at a shockingly low price, given its features.

The F8 was a novel effort, and they got a lot right with it.  But in the end, it felt like a prototype or a proof of concept for what would become the excellent F8n; and excellent it is.  I think that anyone wanting to build an indie kit would do very, very well with the F8n.  Keep going Zoom, because there’s still room in the world for more options.  Your presence in the higher end fields will only cause everyone else to innovate more.  Kudos to a job well done, and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

I didn't read the article because I am leaving for work right now, but why exactly the F8 is an "experimental" device? I choose the F8 and I believe I saved quite a lot (1200€ vs 700€).

Is the original any inferior than the n in build quality? I wouldn't think so..

Yeah, I think maybe he is being a little harsh about the original F8

But he is kinda right about the F8 in terms of how it was originally released? But of course the F8 in 2019 with all the many firmware updates is a very very different device!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I didn't read the article because I am leaving for work right now, but why exactly the F8 is an "experimental" device? I choose the F8 and I believe I saved quite a lot (1200€ vs 700€).

Is the original any inferior than the n in build quality? I wouldn't think so..

I would say it depends on your needs; If you NEED the (software) switchable line/mic inputs, +10dbV line out, running 4S batteries (16.8v charged), you can not find that on a F8, you NEED the f8n. If you can work around that, which is totally doable, the original F8 is all fine.

Does the automix feature on the F8 work when you're in standby, or do you have to be in record mode?

I don't think I can hear it working at all, but I wasn't sure if that was be cause it's so subtle (some adjustment parameters sure would be nice), or because it doesn't run if you're not recording. I'm mixing live to broadcast in this case.

Did I mention that the tiny sharp faders on this thing are terrible? 

AW

13 hours ago, Adam White said:

Get the F Control :-)

14 hours ago, Adam White said:

Does the automix feature on the F8 work when you're in standby, or do you have to be in record mode?

I don't think I can hear it working at all, but I wasn't sure if that was be cause it's so subtle (some adjustment parameters sure would be nice), or because it doesn't run if you're not recording. I'm mixing live to broadcast in this case.

AW

There are at least 2 solutions for bigger ones (3D printed).

One from Seattle with similar, but much bigger ones (try ebay), and one from Spain (EFKsound), which are round, multicolored and laser engraved which are the ones I preffered. 

Very professional made, very good communication and you get an invoice also (if you are EU based it may matters to you).

1 hour ago, daniel said:

For bag use?

Ha!

Welllllll.... I've seen people mount it on top of their bag! :-o

It is quite light.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Ha!

Welllllll.... I've seen people mount it on top of their bag! :-o

It is quite light.

Like a Cantar.