Panasonic EVA1 Timecode

Hey everyone,

I hate these kind of posts, but here I am in a Mexican hotel room with a camera that's not co-operating. Panasonic EVA-1 is shooting PAL, is in 25fps (on speed and recording audio), but is locked in record run and won't take a timecode jam from my tentacle. The menu item that allows you to switch from free run to rec run is greyed out and un-selectable. Anyone used this camera before?  I've been through every menu setting and nothing has allowed me access to freerun. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

Parker

Got it!

Turns out the below setting must be OFF.

Camera settings/fps/vfr sw - OFF/ON

Hope this can save someone else a massive PITA. 

Pb

Last year I would have been the first soundie in my country to shoot with the EVA1, and I even got to steal it away to do one of my vlogs with the EVA1:

I have no problems at all in using it with my Tentacle Syncs. 

It is quite normal on many cameras that you need to ensure VFR is switched *off*. 

• 3 months later...

Who did you shoot with? I know quite a few people locally have been buying a EVA1! As it is indeed a great camera. Although I don't think it will ever come close to being as common place as the FS7 is, the EVA1 was released too late in this generation to dominate the top spot (I do wonder what camera will replace the FS7? Like the FS7 did to the C300mk1). 

But I reckon if I was to ever be foolish enough to buy a new camera in this price bracket (I wouldn't! The ROI would be horrible for me) then I'd probably go with the EVA1 (or maybe the UMP) because it isn't crippled like the FS5/FS7/C200 are. Has timecode and great codecs/resolution/framerate options.

Plus with the GH5S/GH5 then a shooter has the perfect little B cam to match with the EVA1 (although the EVA1 is already impressively small and lightweight! Would be a joy to shoot all day with that).

• 8 months later...

Thank you Parker for this post. Was booked for a six day shoot that normally uses C300 Mk 2's.  12 hours before anticipated calletime I contacted the 

DOP just to ask a few questions. Turns out he was bringing his EVA 1 ( return on investment and some convincing of the producer obviously). Your heads up

helped me right off the bat on Day 1.  We sound people are kept in the dark more and more. Gotta be proactive to the point of pestering.

• 7 months later...
On 8/21/2018 at 8:03 PM, IronFilm said:

(I do wonder what camera will replace the FS7? Like the FS7 did to the C300mk1). 

That would be the new Sony FX-9, it's the FF successor to the FS7. $10,999.00 and they will fly off the shelves. The new C500 MKII looks great but at $16K, it won't fly off the shelves as quickly. Guarantee all of us working in the lower to upper mid-range will become familiar with the FX-9 in 2020.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, Dan Brockett said:

That would be the new Sony FX-9, it's the FF successor to the FS7. $10,999.00 and they will fly off the shelves. The new C500 MKII looks great but at $16K, it won't fly off the shelves as quickly. Guarantee all of us working in the lower to upper mid-range will become familiar with the FX-9 in 2020.

I did post that back in 2018 😉 Well aware of the FX9! A friend has bought one already. Am sure it is only a matter of time until I find myself working with one, glad it has got TC I/O built in without needing the XDCA back that the FS7 required! 

Agree that the FX9 is likely to be more popular than the expensive C500mk2, but I'm skeptical as to if the FX9 will become as dominant as the FS7 (which is EVERYWHERE!)