5D MII Firmware

Celac

Canon announces firmware for the 5D MII that supports 24/25P:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10030201canoneos5dmkiifirmware.asp

The announcement was made in Europe however and the Canon USA website does not (at this time) have this press release up:

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDPressReleaseAct

It seems worth a read, the release notes that in light of user feedback 30 FPS is now 29.97.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good news.  I'm hoping the 24P will actually be 23.98fps...

--Marc W.

I hope it does BOTH.  But:

"The addition of new frame rates expands the camera’s video potential, providing filmmakers with the ability to shoot 1080p Full HD footage at 24fps (actual 23.976fps) – the optimum frame rate for cinematic video. "

Philip Perkins

my students no longer want to shoot on RED,  they all want to shoot on 5D's, and I'm conducting boot camps for them on double system sound -- and that is as good thing!

but that may not last, either:

" 2.0.3 meets the demands of both professional movie producers and aspiring filmmakers alike by adding 24p video acquisition and changing the 30p video frame rate to 29.97 to comply with TV production standards. In addition, audio capability is enhanced for professional use, adding manual audio level control, and increasing the audio sampling frequency to 48KHz from 44.1KHz "

of course consider this:

" As a cinematographer, I can take bad photography if the story is interesting, but bad sound is not acceptable. Pointing a Sennheiser shotgun mike at someone does not make anyone a sound person or provide good sound. "

They may have change the audio on the camera to be more professional, but the means of getting the audio into the camera still leaves a lot to be desired.  You'll still have to put some sort of box on the camera for a better connection, and you won't be able to monitor the signal that is being recorded to camera.  I wouldn't even attempt to use the camera as a means to record the audio.  I would expect that the majority of the people on this forum wouldn't either.

J. Hemmerlin

my students no longer want to shoot on RED,  they all want to shoot on 5D's, and I'm conducting boot camps for them on double system sound -- and that is as good thing!

That's interesting. It seems like the big digital studio cameras are now the equivalent of 35mm, the Red is 16mm, and the DSLR's are Super 8! Suddenly, the little dinky cheap cameras are the new, hip thing.

Somebody should tell them, though, that the DSLRs use a very, very compressed capture format, plus it's only 8-bits. 8 bits really sucks for color and dynamic range. Having said that, there've been some national shots done on the EOS-5D, and they actually look OK -- with a great DP, good lighting... and needless to say, good sound.

--Marc W.

That's interesting. It seems like the big digital studio cameras are now the equivalent of 35mm, the Red is 16mm, and the DSLR's are Super 8! Suddenly, the little dinky cheap cameras are the new, hip thing.

Somebody should tell them, though, that the DSLRs use a very, very compressed capture format, plus it's only 8-bits. 8 bits really sucks for color and dynamic range. Having said that, there've been some national shots done on the EOS-5D, and they actually look OK -- with a great DP, good lighting... and needless to say, good sound.

--Marc W.

Back in the day they tried to tell me all that about 8mm film.  I didn't listen because I couldn't afford 16mm, and the size and complexity of the gear didn't suit my style anyhow.  Seem familiar?  I'll bet some of the most interesting new projects that get made in the next while will be shot on 5D.

Philip Perkins

I agree with Old School,

I'm betting this firmware upgrade is a bit of a stop gap measure to keep 5D users happy, until they finalize a new hardware upgrade/replacement that incorporates more professional features film makers keep asking for from the 5D. XLR connectors ? Or at the very least TA3 connectors ? maybe even (Gasp !) Timecode in / out capabilities ? Capabilities to roll more then 12 minutes at a time ? A proper way to monitor audio ?

" for a better connection, "

the connector is only the tip of that iceberg...

what about the 2 cent chiplet for audio input??

"  Capabilities to roll more then 12 minutes at a time ? "

this limitation allows for import into the USA as a "still photo camera" product, with significantly lower duties and taxes.

" for a better connection, "

the connector is only the tip of that iceberg...

what about the 2 cent chiplet for audio input??

" Capabilities to roll more then 12 minutes at a time ? "

this limitation allows for import into the USA as a "still photo camera" product, with significantly lower duties and taxes.

Absolutely. The 12 minute limit has nothing to do with an auto shutoff due to heat as some have guessed in the past.

Eric

" Capabilities to roll more then 12 minutes at a time ? "

Interesting - if that's the case (that the 12 minute limit might be firmware controlled) it sounds emminently hackable I'm surprised it hasn't been hacked or maybe it has? I've assumed it was a file system limit of some kind - anyone know the details?

" maybe the 12 minutes restriction have something to do with the 4-Gig FAT32 limitation. "

maybe they wanted it to be more like 35mm film cameras!!

once more:

" that means there is a Japanese or European version of the 5D "

probably, or ,more correctly, it may be that: this limitation allows for import into the USA, and many other countries,  as a "still photo camera" product, with significantly lower duties and taxes...

what difference does it really make?? what difference does it make to Movie Sound folks??

and what difference would it make if it were 15 minutes??  and what difference if it was 34.7 minutes??

OK, OK... if it goes over 62 minutes, then we could call it a Feature Film DSLR; "features" could then be completed in a single take! Hey, we could now completely eliminate post production!

sheesh!

I was under the impression that the 12 minute limit had something to do with battery power consumption. The chip uses a lot of power and will quickly drain a ton of power.  I believe the limit was done so that people who may have been using the video feature would actually still be able to have some power left for taking still photos as well.

The video feature was added mostly because canon could do it.  They have had video on all of their point and shoots for a long time.  They probably figure that it may be seen as useful and added it.  I wouldn't believe they added with the idea that anyone would want to shoot a movie with it.

J Hemmerlin

I think Canon has made a good start with the 5D, however I think they missed the mark when they failed to include a WAAS enabled GPS system, which would allow for precise repositioning the camera-corder in case reshoots are ever needed.

Canon also should have made it ambidextrous, or else offer a left handed version, as there are a lot of really talented shooters who are lefties.

The night shooting capability falls short, starting with the lack of IR capability, and an IR light source which could be an accessory.

The camera also lacks slow-motion -aka hi-speed- shooting capabilities, and there is neither built in editing, or color correction. (Huge oversight).  I'd also like to see a built in full function character generator, and be capable of genlock for live, multi camera shoots...the size of the shutter/ start stop  control is also way off!  I think they could have incorporated some quality sounds to go with the control operations, and a built in 3G phone/browser should at least be an option, if not standard.

The audio connector should really be the sub-mini-T-R-R-S so that it could include not only the two audio channels, but also the SMPTE TC, which also is, sadly, lacking!

As to the shape, I'd really prefer something more like a Hasselblad.

otherwise, almost perfect...I understand that our government is looking into issues regarding ADA, as the 5D still does not include descriptive video for the sight impaired, nor does it have closed captioning for the hearing impaired. In addition, the current administration believes Canon pays some of its executives too much...

besides those things, and only having 2 channels of audio, they did an adequate job, although the packaging could be greener...

I think Canon has made a good start with the 5D, however I think they missed the mark when they failed to include a WAAS enabled GPS system, which would allow for precise repositioning the camera-corder in case reshoots are ever needed.

Canon also should have made it ambidextrous, or else offer a left handed version, as there are a lot of really talented shooters who are lefties.

I understand that our government is looking into issues regarding ADA, as the 5D still does not include descriptive video for the sight impaired, nor does it have closed captioning for the hearing impaired. In addition, the current administration believes Canon pays some of its executives too much...

besides those things, and only having 2 channels of audio, they did an adequate job, although the packaging could be greener...

And considering the popularity of 3D movies you would think they would have made it capable of shooting 3D.  I thinkI read somewhere that they're working on the ability to shoot into the future.  This could really make things go much faster on a shoot.  An entire feature length movie shot in 1 day.