Deity TC-1

Michael Kocab

21 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

If you want TC gear that can be serviced by its manufacturer then go Denecke. 

100% THIS.  

I’m sorry your screen broke- these things do happen…any info on what exactly happened? Direct hit w/ a BNC end?

The Denecke JB1’s have a recessed screen and the whole  face is covered in a thick protective plexiglass, the case is made of aluminum,  battery life is WEEKS and its physical size make the TC-1 look chunky.…the $92 price  difference in the JB1 vs the TC-1 is worth it every penny. 

I’ve used the TC-1 - well was asked to I try them…but that menu and all those buttons, made zero sense to me. Maybe the app is better than the units UI, but I checked out, and had all my JB1’s jammed and  running in 30 seconds. No app required. 

The Diety brand,  in my opinion brings nothing new to the (sound) table but low cost. If that’s your jam, then that’s your jam. 

Denecke has been around since 1974 and STILL hand made in the USA. 

On 12/9/2023 at 11:52 AM, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

Can you answer the simple question that they haven't for me?  I.e. do they in fact offer repair service for their products, or is it strictly a replacement programme?

We have a service center as part of our office in Los Angeles and plan to roll out regional authorized support centers in Atlanta, NYC, and Seattle in 2024. We also have service centers in Singapore, Amsterdam, and Seoul. 

Sadly, the part you need is not something we had in stock in our LA office so it needed to be shipped from overseas. We do have the TC-1 battery, 3.5mm PCB, and mainboard PCB in stock. 

Thank you for chiming in Andrew.  That's exactly the answer I was looking for!  And it does look like I'll end up getting it repaired, so I appreciate that.

2 hours ago, EnotsMedia said:

I’m sorry your screen broke- these things do happen…any info on what exactly happened? Direct hit w/ a BNC end?

That's my guess, but no first-hand information.  It came back from camera like that.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:52 AM, Philip Perkins said:

If you want TC gear that can be serviced by its manufacturer then go Denecke. 

+1

I had an issue with one of my JB-1s and they fixed it without hassle. I dropped it off at their place in the morning and they had it fixed by 1pm. 

I agree that the Deity tc1 UI is very non-intuitive and probably an afterthought to the Sidius app. I pre-ordered the tc1 before release because it was so cheap. (Maybe $139 IIRC). I have found that clients do like the onboard microphone for use with SLRs.

IMG_0036.jpeg

However, my charging station gives away my lockit preference.

+1 for Denecke products. Been using them since the mid 90's. I have only had one component fail on one of their products in all that time. The clap sensor in my TS-3 Slate (hall effect transistor, maybe). I asked them if I could buy the componet from them and replace it myself. They did. And I did. I think it was $14 with shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, in the end.  Today I received this in a package shipped from Hong Kong:
20231229_160414.jpg

That is a strip of five plastic screen protectors for the TC-1.  They are quite thin, which is how it managed to crack in the first place.  But they are also *protectors*, which means the screen itself was ok.

They are attached with a tape-based adhesive, so they are quite simple to replace.  No need to open the unit, just pry off the old one, clean off the old adhesive and stick the new one on.  I'd prefer that the protector was thicker (and therefore less prone to breakage), but in the end, it is, in fact repairable, and repairable at a reasonable DIY cost.  I'm glad they sent me extras; I foresee having to do this again...

The hardest part was cleaning the adhesive.  I used Q-Tips and Goo-Gone, which made a bit of a mess.  I was very nervous about getting Goo-Gone on the screen, but it happened anyway.  I had to use isopropyl alcohol to remove the greasy Goo-Gone residue, and that also got on the screen, so I finished up with plain water.  The screen is undamaged at the moment; hopefully neither the Goo-Gone or alcohol will affect it long term (will it go cloudy?)

In any case, it's fixed and good as new.

The cost was about USD$50, which I think was entirely shipping; Deity sent the part for free.  Hopefully these will become readily available if enough TC-1s end up out in the wild.

Other pics:
20231229_160426.jpg

Old protector removed; note the adhesive residue.

20231229_161755.jpg

Cleaned and ready for new protector.

20231229_161829.jpg

Ready for application.

20231229_161955.jpg

Protector applied.

20231229_162009.jpg

All fixed.