Microtech Gefell anounces new modular mic system

Sebi

Some of you might have seen it already but since I didn't find it on the forum yet I thought I might just post it. Don't know anything more than what can be found on the website. Specs look decent with RFI shield and the size of the preamp seems to be between the CMC1 and CMC6, even though the Gefell is a bit heavier.

https://microtechgefell.de/mikrofon-alle#

image.png

Thanks Sebi, I used the UM70 quite a bit in music many years ago and liked it. Will be interesting if/when anyone tries some of these out and lets us know how they sound and feel to work with. Couldn't see any RRP price info on the MG site but I'll try to see if any German places are offering them yet (guess too early for many UK sources).

Jez

I’ve never used any of their mics before so please excuse my ignorance. But I feel like even though their mics are apparently excellent sounding, it seems like everyone I know that has any of them are always frustrated by having to get them serviced at their headquarters and it taking an unreasonable amount of time. Is this true or is this just the impression that I’m left with by hearing it any time this company is mentioned? If it is then I would guess that a modular system used in the field by a brand known for needing service rather frequently seems like a bad idea. But I’d like someone with more experience to weigh in and set me straight on this matter. 

I too have read reports about MGs long repair times, but I have not heard that the mics need to be repaired more frequently than mics from other manufacturers. 

I‘m surprised people need such a long time to come up with their own modular mic systems. Schoeps have been doing it for such a long time, and Neumann as well, to an extent, and with such success that I‘m really curious why it’s only catching on now. 
And by now I mean the last 20 years or so, with Sennheiser and DPA getting into it a while ago, and now others catching up. 

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

I‘m surprised people need such a long time to come up with their own modular mic systems.

To be fair, Gefell had their modular system for quite a while already with the MV200 preamp and M2x capsules. So the new line is just the next generation.

image.png

But of course I see the point of service times. They're a small company and pretty far away for the majority on this forum. I had the impression though that there are indeed some people from outside Europe here who use Gefell mics, especially the M310.

14 hours ago, Sebi said:

To be fair, Gefell had their modular system for quite a while already with the MV200 preamp and M2x capsules. So the new line is just the next generation.

image.png

But of course I see the point of service times. They're a small company and pretty far away for the majority on this forum. I had the impression though that there are indeed some people from outside Europe here who use Gefell mics, especially the M310.

The Gefell M310 is a great dialogue  mic IMHO, almost the same pattern and sensitivity as my mkh50 but a slightly flatter response at 10khz, very god off axis no colouration..