Show Unread Posts

Jeff Wexler

How important is the feature "Show Unread Posts" since last visit?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How important is the feature "Show Unread Posts" since last visit?

• Very important, use it all the time
    • Somewhat important
    • Not important, never use it
    • Never really worked for me

Yes I use it all the time and have it bookmarked as my main access.

It's much better than the SD forum where you have to scroll to the top of the thread, then back out to the main subsection using the mouse to register that you've read the thread, whereas on jwsound it registers that you've read it by simply opening it and returning with a keyboard shortcut, in my case backspace.

Jeff, what prompts the question? Not that I need to know.

In my search for a new alternative to this SMF based forum site, I have found a really good full-featured site platform (which I invited everyone who might be interested to look into). The one feature that it is lacking, however, is a solid equivalent to the "Show Unread posts since last visit" that we have here. I wanted to get an assessment of how people are using this feature --- I think I got my answer. I will continue to explore the possibility of incorporating that sort of feature in any new site I might be looking into for us.

-  Jeff Wexler

We're all adults here (mostly).  If this feature was not available, it would not ruin my experience.

In my search for a new alternative to this SMF based forum site, I have found a really good full-featured site platform (which I invited everyone who might be interested to look into). The one feature that it is lacking, however, is a solid equivalent to the "Show Unread posts since last visit" that we have here. I wanted to get an assessment of how people are using this feature --- I think I got my answer. I will continue to explore the possibility of incorporating that sort of feature in any new site I might be looking into for us.

-  Jeff Wexler

We're all adults here (mostly).  If this feature was not available, it would not ruin my experience.

You might be right, but I suspect participation would drop off if it became harder to find new posts. I visit a couple forums that run on vBulletin. One of those gets a lot of traffic (say, 3000 posts per day...I don't even bother with most threads). The interface is a bit less friendly than what Jeff's set up here with SMF. But I could live with it.

Good luck Jeff. Let me know how I can help with the move.