Boom Recorder 8 released

takev

Hello everyone,

I have released the latest Boom Recorder, version 8.

This is the first time I will charge for an update to Boom Recorder and I will try to get it on Apple's App Store.

It is not yet in the app store, but if you like you can now buy Boom Recorder 8 from my own website: http://www.vosgames.nl/

One last thing, version 8 will only work on OS X Lion.

As I mentioned before the biggest changes are in the meter bridge, with vertical meters and maximum peak meter.

Below follows a complete list of changes:

- Adding AppleScript state property, which may be polled to show the current Boom Recorder state.

- Boom Recorder is now build with xcode 4.1, which means that Boom Recorder will

only run on OS X 10.7 (Lion) or higher.

- Fixes depricated API calls.

- Removed divide by zero error when loading foreign audio files.

- Increased contrast of buttons in the patch-bay.

- Click through enabled for transport buttons and patch bay.

- Scroll wheel now functions in the patch-bay.

- Maximum attenuation is for input/output mixer 114 dB, or infinity of course. This may reduce CPU time a little.

- Renamed BoomRecorder to Boom Recorder, make sure you update your AppleScript applications.

- Added Boom Recorder Lite and Boom Recorder Pro applications for Apple's App Store.

- Renaming menu items in case of other names.

- Removing Register menu item, and preferences panel for App Store and for value added reseller versions.

- Fixed incident reporter to be able to take screenshots again (maybe it was only a problem when running inside the debugger).

- Boom Recorder is now a 32 bit and 64 bit application.

- Application will now be signed by Take Vos's developer key.

- Vertical meters

- Channel name on meters can be removed for more space.

- Saving and loading of input and output patchbay has been fixed when using more than 128 channels.

- Show maximum peak value in meters, click to reset.

- Remembers which utility windows are open, and shows these as pushed buttons on the main window.

- Enabled full screen mode on main window.

- CoreAudio callback starts an release pool so that the "leaking" error message don't show up in the log file.

Cheers,

Take

post-123-0-39097500-1312137076.png

That looks awesome.

I really loved using your application before downscaling my rig's size by removing the computer and RME interface, and switching to the 788T.

If I find myself on a show needing more than 8 tracks (hopefully never), I'll be right back to Boom Recorder and Mackie FW.

Congrats on the new release.

filen : File class

elements

contained by channels.

properties

enabled (boolean) : File enabled for channel

outputn : Output class

elements

contained by channels.

properties

attenuation (real) : 0-254 dB attenuation, 255 mute

inputn : Input class

elements

contained by channels.

properties

attenuation (real) : 0-254 dB attenuation, 255 mute

channeln : Channel class

elements

contains files, outputs, inputs; contained by application.

properties

name (text) : Channel name

foldern : Folder class

elements

contained by application.

properties

path (text) : Folder path

applicationn : Boom Recorder app

elements

contains folders, channels.

properties

state (text) : Current state

project (text) : Current project

scene (text) : Current scene

slate (text) : Current slate

take (text) : Current take

roll (text) : Current roll

note (text) : Current note

timecode (text, r/o) : Current timecode

counter (text, r/o) : Current tape counter

frameRate (text) : Current frame rate

bitDepth (integer) : Current bit depth

preRecordTime (integer) : Current pre record time

autoCommit (boolean) : increase performance of channel layout commands

recordv : Start recording

record

stopv : Stop recording or playback

stop

abortv : Abort recording

abort

playv : Start playback

play

The BR site says that V8 requires a new license.

phil p

Hi Phil,

I was just hoping that was short-sightedness on my part.

Rarely have we seen "pro" software (until the advent of the app-store) require a "new" licence to upgrade an existing seat to a new version thereof. Until the last year or so, software upgrades were almost always less than half the cost of a new license.

It's just my opinion and yes, the 7.x series (which is quite robust and extremely reliable) works fine on Lion so I will keep it down and just continue using that. No biggie. Just surprised.

Thanks for the library. My take on upgrade / purchase, if we were talking about a $1000 piece of software, sure, I'd expect an upgrade path. If the price of the software is low or new version is low (like FCP-X), I don't see a justified reason for an upgrade path. If anything, I thank Take for providing the software at an economical price point to begin with, utilizing the lower curve of the cost-profit ratio rather than pricing it at a premium (same profit, just fewer buyers). He's a software developer, his time is valuable and should be compensated accordingly.

Thanks for the library. My take on upgrade / purchase, if we were talking about a $1000 piece of software, sure, I'd expect an upgrade path.

A fair point Tom.

On the other hand I use tons of utilities from third party indie developers (Get Backup 2 Pro, Back In Time 2, Mindnode) on my Mac and price has never had anything to do with upgrade-path pricing (we're talking $10/$20 upgrades on $50 software.)

But I do agree a business is a business and the owner should absolutely run it as he/she sees fit. BR is very very good.

Take was kind enough to respond to me personally.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

And if you happen to know how to do it, why not attach a little contact info to this Take person guy? Give a dog a bone.

He's not exactly in hiding. Take's been a member of the board for at least the past 5 years. His webpage is listed in his profile as well in the signature on his posts, like a half dozen or so posts further back in this thread. Complete contact info is on the contact page of that website.

Best regards,

Jim

I thought if I asked on here, he might respond, there is a thread talking about midi control from 2010, but no implementation. I thought the next version would include it. I have read on other threads that Take is very busy on other projects and had to put boom recorder on the back burner for a while. Being busy on projects is always a blessing. I would definitely jump onboard with BR as long as i could have hands on control. I have a UC33 that would be a great controller for it and cheap enough that i could have 3 backups for it. I will never understand why the hardware controllers for all our Recorders are so expensive. I'm even thinking "conspiracy theory" on the fact that, that older thread is not talked about here. Maybe our "Usual Manufacturers" had a lot to lose if boom recorder came out with midi support. call me crazy, or just rambling here, but to me, BR with MIDI or even HUI or any other protocol would be a total game changer. Even a BR dedicated hardware with a proprietary protocol would rule.

And if you happen to know how to do it, why not attach a little contact info to this Take person guy? Give a dog a bone.

OMG, I have no clue as how to do it, I would think if someone could do it it would be Take, or the good people at Vos games. Either way, I for one would be willing to pay for a control protocol license as a separate product.

Anyways I hope Take gets around to putting this in at some point in time.

Happy New Year to Jeff and all the JWSOUND contributors!

Indispensable tool for me, this blog....

;D

He's not exactly in hiding. Take's been a member of the board for at least the past 5 years. His webpage is listed in his profile as well in the signature on his posts, like a half dozen or so posts further back in this thread. Complete contact info is on the contact page of that website.

Best regards,

Jim

My comment was aimed at Senator for just telling Beta Sound to "contact Take" and not helping out, by for example attaching a link like you did now.

I myself am not a Boom Recorder user, yet, so I have no need for contacting Take. I knew Take was a member and that I could look up his info on here, but others might not and it's not hard to attach a link or other info in a post.

Happy new years!

When wil midi control be implemented?

You can use a MIDI controller to mix into Boom Recorder by using an audio interface with a software "go-between". For quite some time, Graham Gardiner used a BCF-2000 with both an RME FF400 and TotalMix; and, later, a Metric Halo 2882 and MH's MIO software.

There's a little info about that system

-Brian