Radiomics on pregnant ladies

Manel

Hi all.

I'll be working on a TV Series soon where everybody gets a radio as we work with 2-3 cameras and God knows what they will do (sounds familiar?)

One of the main cast is pregnant and I'm a bit reluctant to bug her... although I thinks putting the transmitter on her ankle should be fine, costume permitting.

I know that if she uses a mobile phone the radiation is the same and all those urban legends that run around, but:

Does anyone know for sure if it is ok to radiomic pregnant ladies???

Thanks,

Manel

Just because you've done it "many times" does not mean there is no risk, although I think it is extremely minimal.

It's something we need to be mindful of.

The least you must do is ask her if she is willing to accept the risk, perceived or not.

The ultimate decision is hers alone.

I've done ankle straps many many times and I've never had a problem. I always ask if they are ok to carry the transmitter, but I was curious about what people thought about it. I know different people has different views on this. As per bra strap... I guess it will depend of what she is wearing...

Thanks all

I work on a show called Sweat Equity on the DIY Network. The show is on hiatus right now because Amy the host is due this month. If she was wearing jeans and boots we would put the transmitter on the inside of the boot with the cord running down the inside leg of the jeans. We also used the back of the bra strap as well. We couldn't use a strap or clip the tx on the back of the pants because of the elastic waistband.

Doubt if there is any real danger from the tx.

Bernie

There was a rumour about Australian legislation a couple of years ago that you were not allowed

to put transmitters on children or pregnant women but it seemed to not be enforced.

'There is no issue with miking pregnant women, I've done it many times.'

Please explain pverando ??

mike

Are you concerned about comfort, concealment, modesty, or RF exposure? The first 3, don't we all encounter these issues every day? Handle those issues however you handle them. RF exposure? For the length of time worn, frequency, power and proximity, it's a non-issue. Compare this with what's been reported about daily cell phone RF exposure, and its even less of an issue.

I'm sure you could raise the question to the pregnant talent and make it a big issue very quickly, and production will love you for that!

Regarding the "many times": A few years ago, I did a series of instructional videos on breast feeding and natural childbirth, and mic'd many, many pregnant women. Currently, I'm working on a show that also has many pregnant women on camera- for months, up to, and during delivery. They even wear a mic while the baby's delivered.

But, pverrando, did you EVER ask them if they felt OK with it, and, more importantly, explain the risk, however minimal?

I beleive the risks are minimal too, and Mike, the Aussie government, in a moment of nothing else to think about, decided that the ABC, (nat broadcaster), were not allowed to mic children and Pregnant women.

The edict didn't last long when the sheer impracticality of the ruling was pointed out.

Concealing is not the question. I have miked many many people and I consider myself a good "radiomiker" is that is a usable term...

My question is if anyone considers or has any evidence/advice/medical experience/grounds on weather it is safe and ok to radiomike a pregnant woman.

Of course I'd ask if she is ok. In fact, I ALWAYS ask if is ok to radiomike someone, male or female.

I was thinking in using the SMV at 50mW.

Not to hijack the thread but it reminded me of my irrational fear of contracting diseases from vampire clips. I always manage to stick myself with them and I know that many many others have done the same with those clips. It's totally irrational right? RIGHT?

I think that is a bit much... haha

There have been many studies of cell phones that have higher frequencies (more absorption by the body) and higher power than wireless mics. For every cell phone study showing some small effect, there have been other studies showing no effect, many using the same data (!) and even some showing health benefits (!). Obviously the data is very imprecise. Even with large studies, the data is in the noise and subject to interpretation. All of us are exposed to RF, magnetic and electrical fields at work, home and on movie sets. Wireless mics make up a tiny part of that total. The difficulty is that it is essentially impossible to prove a negative, i.e., that something is not dangerous.

It is a given that I come from a biased position. On the other hand, it has been studied nearly to death and the various governments around the world would jump on this in a second if there were any semi-solid proof. The FCC has a SARS level requirement that restricts the RF power that can be absorbed by a person using the RF device. Even though there is no evidence of long term danger for moderate RF, the U.S. and Canadian governments have set the SARS levels to an even lower level just to be conservative. Even Lectro's 250 mW units meet the FCC and Canadian SARS restrictions.

It is a given that I am biased about this "danger" but on the other hand there is very little profit to be made in micing pregnant women. Certainly, if I had the slightest belief that it posed some danger, we would easily recommend not using the mics in that situation. The tiny profit foregone would be minuscule compared to the horrible losses that would be possible. Plus it would just be wrong. So, here is an opinion that it is safe, from someone in the RF field, that keeps a beady eye on the studies that come up in the general literature and news.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Concealing is not the question. I have miked many many people and I consider myself a good "radiomiker" is that is a usable term...

My question is if anyone considers or has any evidence/advice/medical experience/grounds on weather it is safe and ok to radiomike a pregnant woman.

Of course I'd ask if she is ok. In fact, I ALWAYS ask if is ok to radiomike someone, male or female.

I was thinking in using the SMV at 50mW.

Not to hijack the thread but it reminded me of my irrational fear of contracting diseases from vampire clips. I always manage to stick myself with them and I know that many many others have done the same with those clips. It's totally irrational right? RIGHT?

No not at all. You could catch scurvy, hoof & mouth disease, terminal dandruff, bunions, saddle sores, impotence, incontinence and who knows what other fatal and semi-fatal ailments. :wacko:

Eric