Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

I'm starting to weaken however. Should I just go with a Nomad instead? No, I don't think so.

Tom

"Weakening" should never be an issue --- if you want the SD 664 (and it looks like you already know you want TWO of them), then just wait. If you are weakening, or possibly you are really not that sure you want the 664, keep your name on the list for the 664, rent a Nomad for your job, then you can make informed decisions.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a little impatient. I have a job the end of this month where I could REALLY use the 664. Instead I'm going to have to make due with a Sound Devices 552 and a Tascam DR-680. I placed my pre-order for the 664 and the CL-6 just 2 days after it was announced. Even so I understand there are a lot of people above me on the "list". Now I'm thinking I might want to order a second unit as a back up and so one can stay on my cart and one can stay in a bag.

I'm starting to weaken however. Should I just go with a Nomad instead? No, I don't think so.

Tom

Most dealers should have their 664 demos now and are all awaiting their first shipments of sell-able product. Shipments should begin THE LAST WEEK OF OCTOBER. And we expect that we will only see a few units per week the first month or so until production ramps up. So when you get yours will depend on where you might be on your dealers list and, of course, what leverage or extortion you may use against him/her to move up the list. Our list is pretty big but, we hope to move through it quickly.

The Calrade made Sound Devices bags are done and will ship when the 664's ship. the Portabrace bags will be shipping this week and should be here before the 664's arrive. The Petrol bags are in the "design and photography" stage and will not be ready until the first of the year.

Cheers

I think we folks here pretty much respect that SD manufacturers, and thoroughly supports quality products, and thus selects quality components, which they stand behind (warranty)...

I also suspect that if there were some quality issue with faders in any of their products we would have heard about it here on jwsoundgroup...

it is also not unusual that during the manufacturing life of products, the sources of specific components may vary, for numerous reasons that are really of no consequence to the end users.

Does anyone know if it is possible to record the "Link I/O" input to ISO and mix tracks? For example, could I add a mixpre or mm-1 to record a boom in addition to using the 6 built-in pres for wireless mics? Can this be routed to the x1/x2 tracks as well as the main L/R?

Thanks,

E.

Good question!

Does anyone know if it is possible to record the "Link I/O" input to ISO and mix tracks? For example, could I add a mixpre or mm-1 to record a boom in addition to using the 6 built-in pres for wireless mics? Can this be routed to the x1/x2 tracks as well as the main L/R?

Thanks,

E.

Ethan,

No, the Link I/O input will only appear on the L/R Mix tracks.

For those who really care about potentiometers (as we do), are curious, and don't have a 664 or 552 to pull apart, the fader pots on both mixers are the same. These are sealed, conductive plastic, 1,000,000 cycle life, 12.7mm, RoHS compliant, temperature rated between -55°C to +125°C, and IP 66 rated controls.

Thanks Jon. Good info.

Can anyone comment on power consumption as compared to a 552 running a similar setup? I know this depends on phantom power, recording tracks, etc, but I guess more specifically on if it would need its own NP like a 788 or is it much less power hungry? Or is this something that's still being refined?

For those who really care about potentiometers (as we do), are curious, and don't have a 664 or 552 to pull apart, the fader pots on both mixers are the same. These are sealed, conductive plastic, 1,000,000 cycle life, 12.7mm, RoHS compliant, temperature rated between -55°C to +125°C, and IP 66 rated controls.

Please, Jon, try and be a bit more specific next time!

Can anyone comment on power consumption as compared to a 552 running a similar setup? I know this depends on phantom power, recording tracks, etc, but I guess more specifically on if it would need its own NP like a 788 or is it much less power hungry? Or is this something that's still being refined?

Power consumption is approx 6-7W when recording 6 mics, 10 tracks simultaneously to both CF and SD.

9 hours or more is possible when using an NP1

Paul

Thank you John!