Two lavs, one with the phase flipped?

cory

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order for that to work even slightly the capsules would have to be side by side, i.e. the lavs would basically have to be taped together, and that means the voice will also be affected by the phase flipping. Unfortunately there's little you can do to improve sound in an uncontrolled bar.

The idea of phase flipping is to have a second mic.just recording the unwanted sound. I don't know if it would do much for crowd wala.It did work for me once with a constant generator hum.There's no dangerof screwing it up if you use separate tracks and experiment in post.It probably would be more trouble than it's worth and unless your doing post,they will screw it up.

J.D.

The one instance where the out-of-phase trick can work is with a vocalist -- typically, with rock. Two 58s strapped together, wired out of phase, with the singer's lips right against the grill of one of the mics. What allows this to work is the ratio of the distance from the mouth to each microphone. It will color the sound some, but is a trick that can be employed to improve gain before feedback of loud stage monitors.

In the current era of more sophisticated and better tuned sound systems, and the widespread use of IEMs, I doubt that you're likely to see it deployed.

So, how you'd manage to have a pair of lavs picking up the same exact sound field, while achieving a high ratio of dialog discrimination between the two lavs, is beyond me.

Much better to spend time learning the craft than trying to trick it.

For the polarity-flip technique to work, the 'distant/flipped' mic has to be far enough away from the mouth that voice doesn't get picked up and cancelled, yet close enough that it picks up interfering waves while they're reaching both mics in the same phase.

Then, and only then, will the flipping cancel the offending waves. 

It worked for the Dead because Garcia was eating the close mic, and inverse square made that mic a -lot- louder while still keeping both mics together. Can you shove lavs into the actors' mouths*?

Physics tells us this is only likely for low frequencies in the offending noise... well below normal walla frequencies, which is what presumably you're trying to get rid of. It's possible at other frequencies as well, but the effect will be so random and depending on frequency/distance as to be unpredictable, 'phasey', and useless.

Bottom line: there are good scientific reasons for other peoples' advice to skip it.

--

*Want clean sound in an actual working bar? Convince the director to shoot profiles, and use E6 or similar head mics.

Sometimes in a musical theatre show a reversed polarity lav can solve some momentary problems when you are designing a show and your scene is so crowded and you don't have enough fingers to mix. But use this technique very carefully, it can do more worse than better. Head to head situations, choose one mic and mix to taste.

Killing the music will also (sometimes) make the walla get softer, because everybody doesn't need to shout over the music, and over each other.

The clue to shooting there is, like others have said, to get the lav as close to the mouth as possible.

You might set up a "background" mic (or two) to pick up only the walla. This can help a lot to smooth out edits when on separate tracks. Don't include that mic in your mix.

And: make sure production and post know about that location's sound issues. You don't want this to fall back on you.

You mean polarity 

Yes, I mean flipping the polarity (which shifts the phase by 180º).

From the 552 manual:

"The polarity (sometimes referred to as a phase inversion) of inputs 2 and 4 can be reversed"

From the SQN 5S manual:

"The [PHASE] switch acts on CH2, independently of the settings of the other switches. When it is moved to the right (arrow), it inverts the phase of the signal"

If this is not scripted, and not a fiction project, I would go so far as to consider headworn b6 mics.  and even if scripted.. perhaps b6 on top of ear hidden with medical adhesive/hair/hats

Or... b6 in brim of hat..again.. this amounts to getting the lav as close as possible to the mouth of speaker..

Also, tell the producer that if you leave the  bar music on, they will pay a fortune in clearances on the music.