A Bad day on the shoot

sounddguy

So a video buddy of mine called the other day to say he and another were going to be doing a hexacopter

test shoot very near my house the next day and invited me to drop by.  I passed because I had a job to  work that afternoon.  Next day I'm heading out the door for my gig and there's my buddy working up and down the street.  He says they lost the hexacopter.  Now this $12k rig has gps, remote camera control, return video etc.  If it looses remote control signals it will return to within 10 feet of where it took off.  So how did they loose it?

Turns out they flew a morning test then after lunch reloaded new batteries and started to do an actual shoot.

About 3 or 4 seconds into the flight they lost video return, then all control.  The copter was at about 100 feet, tilted to a 45 degree forward charge and took off.

About 2 and half hours later they finally found the rig, having crashed into a telephone pole.  Further investigation found that the battery the runs the gps, remote control, video return etc had not connected firmly.  The motor batteries were doing just find. 

Damage:  camera gimbal mount - destroyed, camera lens - cracked (fixed 
lens, so it's history), retractable landing gear - toast, two rotor arms - damaged.

And of course, they didn't record the morning test flight.

I'm glad I'm a sound guy.

These drones are actually dangerous in the wrong hands. I'm sure your friend is highly professional but the thing could've killed someone.

Anyone can go and buy the little one designed for gopro (can't remember what it's called) and attach an explosive to it and fly it into anywhere to terrorise. They have very good range.

Man, I'm just waiting for some horrible accident to happen where one of these drone/helicopter camera supports falls on top of a person. I was part of a project in the 1980s where they were testing out the Skycam (cable camera system), and there was a pretty nasty accident with that, and luckily it didn't hit anybody, but it did wreck the hell out of the camera. 

They also don't tell you that the miniature helicopter-based camera platforms make a helluva lotta noise...

I just saw something where a law DID NOT pass allowing people to shoot down drones....  Colorado....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/colorado-town-shoots-down-drone-hunting-season-n69721

Interesting....  and, beats killing birds and animals....  LOL...

Somehow it did not seem safe....

I always saw news helicopters over a freeway near my home looking at traffic.... the other day I saw it was now a drone.... or a Hexacopter  (same thing?)....  Interesting they saw the cost savings and went for it...

Man, I'm just waiting for some horrible accident to happen where one of these drone/helicopter camera supports falls on top of a person. 

What if its not an accident….? The idea of a weaponized camera drone is disconcerting, to say the least.

http://io9.com/athlete-struck-by-potentially-hacked-aerial-drone-1560728218

Man, I'm just waiting for some horrible accident to happen where one of these drone/helicopter camera supports falls on top of a person...

I've seen close calls with droners flying low over sports events. And now there's this:

Triathlete injured as drone filming race falls to ground

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-07/triathlete-injured-as-drone-filming-race-drops-to-ground/5371658

They also don't tell you that the miniature helicopter-based camera platforms make a helluva lotta noise...

I saw that white quadcoptor drone that everyone uses for GoPro cams at NAB. They were flying them around. LOUD. You'd never get usable sound with one of those zipping around. Imagine a multi-drone-cam shoot. Might as well pack up the sound gear and go home.

I saw that white quadcoptor drone that everyone uses for GoPro cams at NAB. They were flying them around. LOUD. You'd never get usable sound with one of those zipping around. Imagine a multi-drone-cam shoot. Might as well pack up the sound gear and go home.

You think they're noisy now? Just wait until these autonomous drones figure out how to open the window at Penn and start breeding in the wild.