Sony Venice Timecode Connection alert

Here's a lame feature of the Sony Venice that the Sound Department should know about.

Timecode can be input at the BNC TC-in, but cannot be output there (What was TC-I/O on 5/55 is IN only))

Timecode Out is available at the AUX 5P Lemo which looks like ARRI/Ambient Lemo std 5P, BUT TC In is not connected at the Lemo 5P., so if you were expecting to lock Venice TC via the Lemo 5P~~~~ As Tony Soprano used to say:  "Fugettaboutitt"  

As a tribute to the Italian roots of the "Venice" can we nickname the camera

"The Sony Bennett"

tony-bennett.jpg

All the info is correct..... you missed that TC IN is not connected to the Lemo

The BNC TC connection is IN only-----Not switchable to an OUT like the 5/55

The Lemo has TC OUT only------No TC IN like ARRI/AMBIENT.

All this may change with Versions/Firmwares updates------ 5/55 went through a bunch before the camera became useable

• 1 year later...

I just finished 76 days with the Venice and never had a problem with the TC. I used the Denecke JB1 and camera left it plugged in at all times. We even left it on the steadicam. My only beef with the Venice is that it never really gets quiet. The fan will shut down when you roll but never off completely.

I am using nomad 12.  The camera we shoot is sony venice.  I'm using zaxcom erx2tcd to fix timecode.  Consist of 2 frame shifts as constant.  The same problem continues when I connect the cable.  I wonder why, but I could not find an answer.  When I set the timecode delay setting to -2 over erx2tcd, the problem is solved by the way.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:34 PM, Sound Intuition said:

My only beef with the Venice is that it never really gets quiet. The fan will shut down when you roll but never off completely.

How quiet does it need to be?? The fans can spin so long as they're almost silent.

As yes, during standby it is rather loud but when I came across a couple of Venice cameras this week I noticed once they were in recording mode they were very quiet from where I was standing a few feet away. (then again the studio I was in, was a bit on the noisy ish side which perhaps was masking it)

• 3 weeks later...

Working with 2 Venices today.  DIT mentioned the video files come in with 8 channels of audio recorded.  I'm feeding two analog line level via the 5 pin XLR.  I went through the menus with the 1st AC and couldn't find any option to choose what audio tracks to record or not.  Anyone come across a way to choose which audio tracks to include?

Yeah...... Sony's XDCAM/MXF for Venice format is 8 track embedded. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off tracks 3-8. Same with the F55. Annoyingly, yet easily able to delete tracks 3-8 either in Resolve or Premier. As easy as it may seem, I currently have 22 hours of audio to sync and edit. Easy, yes.... Annoying?... surely

2 hours ago, David Lezynski said:

Yeah...... Sony's XDCAM/MXF for Venice format is 8 track embedded. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off tracks 3-8. Same with the F55. Annoyingly, yet easily able to delete tracks 3-8 either in Resolve or Premier. As easy as it may seem, I currently have 22 hours of audio to sync and edit. Easy, yes.... Annoying?... surely

Have you ever gotten Venice files with more than 2 channels of audio recorded?  Do some folks use studio decks in XDCAM to record more than 2 channels of audio?

Also just a note for the US users with this camera, 23.98 TC setting on the camera will be labled "24 Fixed" when you see it on the overlay on a monitor in the upper right hand corner. It is just an other Sony labeling oddity, you can have the DIT show anyone who is worried that the Meta data from the camera shows the correct code. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...