AA Battery Eliminator for Sennheiser G3/EW-D SK Transmitter?

D Clay Audio

Hey all,

I'm currently using a Sennheiser EW-D SK Transmitter as a camera hop in my sound bag. 

I want to leave it tethered to power via the BDS in my bag -- as opposed to using AA's or rechargeable AA's, or the BA70 batteries. 

So my question is:

Is there a battery eliminator that would be compatible with this Transmitter that I can leaved plugged in to my BDS? 

There's also an open USB slot, if it's possible to go that route as well (USB AA Battery eliminator?)

I've found this Bucky-Duo one, but that's about it. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193467068503

Not looking to make one myself either. 

Remote Audio is located nearby. I've thought about seeing if they can custom make one for me. Not sure how much that would cost. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Derrek

Beware of the Senny battery eliminator. I have four of them. If they share a BDS or any common battery distro you will get an audible whine. There are several threads here explaining the situation of common power and unbalanced audio with G2/3/4. You either have to have a DC to DC transformer inline with the power feed or a seperate battery. You can minimize the whine by using line level transmission rather than mic level.

If you go the ebay route, ask if they have power conditioning/isolation in their design.

I have attached a pic of the guts of a Senny battery eliminator. No isolation  transformer. I had to take it apart to attach a new power wire.

20231114_165755.jpg

9 hours ago, PMC said:

Beware of the Senny battery eliminator. I have four of them. If they share a BDS or any common battery distro you will get an audible whine.

This is interesting. I have had 5 in my bag without whine. I am wondering if it’s because I use the balanced 500 series.

Before experimenting, be sure that your transmitter will switch on when the batteries are put in again. All Sennheiser devices I know (I don't know EW-D SK) remember if they had been switched on or off when the power supply was cut. I hope it's the same with the new digital series, I'm curious - please let us know here.

If so, don't get frustrated by experimenting too much and order an isolated converter, make a battery dummy and it will work. It's quite easy. The electrical circuits in the converters are ready-to-use, so you just need to solder the connections.

The specifications of the EW-D SK and EW-DX SK are the same: 

Input voltage 2.0 - 4.35 V / Input current < 300 mA

I guess this one will do:

TIM 2-1210 | Traco Power

13 minutes ago, Mungo said:

Before experimenting, be sure that your transmitter will switch on when the batteries are put in again. All Sennheiser devices I know (I don't know EW-D SK) remember if they had been switched on or off when the power supply was cut. I hope it's the same with the new digital series, I'm curious - please let us know here.

If so, don't get frustrated by experimenting too much and order an isolated converter, make a battery dummy and it will work. It's quite easy. The electrical circuits in the converters are ready-to-use, so you just need to solder the connections.

The specifications of the EW-D SK and EW-DX SK are the same: 

Input voltage 2.0 - 4.35 V / Input current < 300 mA

I guess this one will do:

TIM 2-1210 | Traco Power

the EW-D will power itself back up if you pull the batteries without powering the unit down.

also, beware that the battery eliminator for the G3 / G4 wont work with the EW-D because the batteries are oriented differently for the two systems.

Evolution wireless have the +ve terminals both facing the same way. 
EW-D have the +ve terminals facing in opposite directions. 
so the terminals of the G3 battery eliminator at best wont line up with the terminals of the EW-D, and at worst, may short out.

41 minutes ago, rich said:

the EW-D will power itself back up if you pull the batteries without powering the unit down.

also, beware that the battery eliminator for the G3 / G4 wont work with the EW-D because the batteries are oriented differently for the two systems.

Evolution wireless have the +ve terminals both facing the same way. 
EW-D have the +ve terminals facing in opposite directions. 
so the terminals of the G3 battery eliminator at best wont line up with the terminals of the EW-D, and at worst, may short out.

Great catch! I didn't even notice this. looks like I'll have to go the custom route. I live near Remote Audio, so I'll be paying them a visit pretty soon. 

I got one of the Sennheiser battery eliminators for free. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use it as it would require making a hole in the door or getting the kit (with replacement door)nto which Michael posted a link. Seemed like a good idea. I'll test out this whine before I use it. Thanks.

batt elim.jpg

Michael Render,

Glad to hear you aren't getting the whine. The reason IS because you are using a balanced audio line, from what Sound Devices told me years ago.

Eric,

Making the notch and whole is very easy. When I purchased my first Senny battery eliminator if came with a new door with the notch. The next three, I notched myself. Use a small rat-tail file.

I use the Sennheiser brand one and send unbalanced line level to an SK2000 transmitter. Never had a problem with noise. Sennheiser SK transmitters do not have a balanced input. It’s either mic input or line input and that is selected by the cable wiring itself. 

The specs direct you to ground the unused input so maybe check your cable. Pretty sure mic level is tip and line is ring but that’s going off memory. 

I tried a 12V to 3V adapter. It took 12V from an NP-F battery plate which runs my mixer in the bag. While the 7.4 to 12V booster in the plate is dead silent, the 12V to 3V converter adds a whine with the G3s.

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

Pretty sure mic level is tip and line is ring but that’s going off memory. 

Correct.  Tip= Mic, Ring= Line  (though a true +4dB nominal feed is a little to hot for the 100 series SK Tx and will need some external attenuation.

I have bought my battery eliminator on pinknoise. I don't know the brand anymore but i switched back to batteries. First reason is that the battery eliminator was getting its power from my SL2. As soon as i turned off the recorder, the transmitter switched off too causing severe noise on the receivers as it picks up some others signals. Even raising the squelch sometimes didn't help. 

--

Follow my learning platform @learn_audio on Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/learn_audio/

🚀 Educational news about on location sound and audio postproduction 🎥

✔️ How-Tos

✔️ Equipment updates

✔️ Problem solving tips

25 minutes ago, locationsoundvie said:

I have bought my battery eliminator on pinknoise. I don't know the brand anymore but i switched back to batteries. First reason is that the battery eliminator was getting its power from my SL2. As soon as i turned off the recorder, the transmitter switched off too causing severe noise on the receivers as it picks up some others signals. Even raising the squelch sometimes didn't help. 

--

Follow my learning platform @learn_audio on Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/learn_audio/

🚀 Educational news about on location sound and audio postproduction 🎥

✔️ How-Tos

✔️ Equipment updates

✔️ Problem solving tips

that isnt a fault of the battery eliminator. thats because of the background / competing rf on your transmitters frequency.

that said. i do tend to leave my IEM transmitters running over lunch to avoid the potential occurrence of that issue, because its easier to do that than retune 15 receivers.