My cherry was popped today.

ShubiSnax

Okay, I know the title might have been misleading.. :blink:

I've only been doing production sound for a couple years now.

I've invested in quality gear and I'm trying to learn new things about this profession every day, as it has turned out to be my passion. I take great care not to lower my rates for labor or gear to be competitive, as I completely understand that it's a terrible practice and affects sound mixers everywhere. The competition, is to get better sounding audio than other mixers.

That said, I finally heard my recorded audio on TV. It was a commercial for a local furniture company(Gardner White Furniture) on our local Fox channel. I have recorded audio for a few different shows that are already green-lit and slated to appear on MTV this year, but this was my first time hearing my audio on TV.

Even though it's just a commercial for a local company, I still jumped up and down like a little kid.

A great feeling knowing post did their job correctly and made me look good.

That's all. Just wanted to share my joy with others who have had the same experience.

Congratulations! Now the next big thrill will be hearing your sound on television, and then seeing your name in the credits at the end. That is if they don't squeeze them down to miniscule size and run them at double speed as they promo the next show. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

Best,

Bernie

Simply the best feeling seeing your work on TV, especially when you not expecting it. Also seeing your work on a big screen at your local theater is an epic feeling as well! The feeling of accomplishment shared, to see a finished product of everyone's talent is the reason why we all do it. Keep feeling the juice of work well done!

Best-

Chauncey Taylor

Congratulations! Now the next big thrill will be hearing your sound on television, and then seeing your name in the credits at the end. That is if they don't squeeze them down to miniscule size and run them at double speed as they promo the next show. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

Best,

Bernie

It's still fun for me too. It reminds of when we shot it, which is typically a good memory.

I still glue my eyes to the spot on the screen where I know my name will appear for a few precious milliseconds.

You next cherry will be the horror of the "added line" you didn't record on the day, and that they make no effort to match to your lovely production audio.

Robert

As I post sound/video game sound person I I remember this. For TV work it was my first episode of Fear Factor that I worked on. It was really exciting. But what really got me hopping up and down was a Doritos commercial I did several years ago that was entered their "crash the superbowl" contest. People voted on the web for the best one. Ours made it to the top two, and we found out who won by the commercial airing. We didn't win the year we entered, but Doritos liked our commercial so much they ran it the next year. As soon as we saw it we all started calling each other..."HOLY $#!T! THEY RAN IT!" It's such a cool feeling. Video games is even wilder because if you work on a big one, then your work is exposed to millions more people than tv or film sometimes. Gear of War was my first "big" game. That was a blast and a riot to "hear" when I played it.

But what really got me hopping up and down was a Doritos commercial I did several years ago that was entered their "crash the superbowl" contest. People voted on the web for the best one. Ours made it to the top two, and we found out who won by the commercial airing.

I remember -- the one where the giant rat smashed through the wall. Very funny and memorable!

I'm so neurotic, when I see any of my stuff on-air (either sound or picture), all I do is nit-pick the mistakes! And then on the rare occasions I get an on-screen credit, they'll misspell it. I think there's at least 11 ways to misspell my name. And in post, I've had situations where the credit the facility, but not the guys and gals who actually did the work.

But Jose is right: as long as they spell the name right on the check, what the hell. ^_^

I recently had an opportunity to watch a short film i did production sound for play at my all time favorite theatre, the Cinerama in Seattle. I think it has the best sound system in town. That was the most thrilling first time experience for me, and it still excites me.

Great topic, thanks for posting you're excitement.

K

http://wanderingear.net

Congratulations.

I started out in live television so I never was able to see my work for many years. I used to get calls on my answering machine from people who said they saw my name on TV. Then I started to get crank calls and other weirdness from total strangers. It was freaky enough that I changed my phone number to an unlisted/unpublished one.

I'm so neurotic, when I see any of my stuff on-air (either sound or picture), all I do is nit-pick the mistakes! And then on the rare occasions I get an on-screen credit, they'll misspell it.

Tell me about the name spelling! My name seems to stump everyone, and my husband, also a sound person, is Andrejs. Between the two of us... well, we've just given up. :)

I get really excited to see my work and go back and forth between excitement and criticism. I get such a rush to when I hear something I've done and it just sounds great. But, there always seems to be something preventing 100% perfection, somewhere... and finding those places are the key to improving. I have had a few occasions where the editor used the off screen sound for a line that they had in a close-up.... things like that can be frustrating when you know they had the right track for the line and they didn't use it.

I'm so neurotic, when I see any of my stuff on-air (either sound or picture), all I do is nit-pick the mistakes! And then on the rare occasions I get an on-screen credit, they'll misspell it. I think there's at least 11 ways to misspell my name. And in post, I've had situations where the credit the facility, but not the guys and gals who actually did the work.

But Jose is right: as long as they spell the name right on the check, what the hell. ^_^

Tell me about the name spelling! My name seems to stump everyone, and my husband, also a sound person, is Andrejs. Between the two of us... well, we've just given up. :)

The very first time I got my name on a poster, some 15 years ago, they forgot the "s".

Poster.jpg

I still get a big smile out of it today.

I was very proud of one of my episodes on a particular TV show. It was a tough episode logistically, and I was really happy with how it sounded in the end. They also mispelled my name. They spelled it Buck Robinson.

Buck was kind enough to come in and mix the last episode of the season for me so I could go back to my other show. They gave him credit a tad too early, however. Oh, well.