Combining transmitter antenna

pvanstry

[snip].... but I was pretty careful about block and freq choice. There are "best practices" as lab tests and there are "best compromises" as actual working practicalities. The former is a guide and starting point and the latter is doing what you need to do to get an actual job done.

phil p

+1

Larry F

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are "best practices" as lab tests and there are "best compromises" as actual working practicalities. The former is a guide and starting point and the latter is doing what you need to do to get an actual job done.

phil p

+ another 1.

With my two Lectro cam-hop transmitters, I've removed the clips and put them back-to-back with very little spacing between, maybe a sixteenth of an inch for the rubber sheet between them. I've used this method for a few years and have found it to do the job well. Based on feedback from cameramen (and lack of feedback from post), drop-outs have been extremely rare.

Yep, it's the real world.

Sometimes, it's pretty simple: If it works, it's good; if it doesn't work, it's bad.

Many years ago I even used the same block for talent and cam-hops -- and in a small bag, at that. I lost some range on the talent side, but I can only remember one instance, out of hundreds, where it imposed an issue -- and that venue probably had other things going on RF-wise.

It worked well before, and for the several years now that I've been at least two blocks apart, it's even better. What's not to like?

I`m sound engenear of films. So we are going to buy lectrosonic transmitters and recievers for film sound recording.

I`m interested in one thing and i guess you can help me :

I need to know which models of wireless transmitter recievers i have to buy. coz when i was working on last project i use sennheiser G series and the signal was cutting in every 10 seconds. i had to be adjacent to artists to keep the signal. it was awfull.

So pleas if it is not difficult to you can you send me the model of Little Transmitter and reciever for pro Movie Shotting. thay must have good coverage range. and it will be better if you send me the links to put tham already in busket. links from site http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ Thanks in advance!

p.s. it will be cool if this wireless tr and rc will also have wired reciever.

i`m going to work with cos 11d and countryman lavaliers

thank you in advance ! With great Respect : SHandro

Just taking a minute to thank you all guys. I love this forum. Instant feedback ranging from theory to practical usage and even the Senator is helpful.

Larry specially, for a manufacturer to chime in on a Sunday with answer beyond the call of duty is very appreciated.

Should receive my spectrum analyzer next week and will play around.

I recommend buying them from a professional audio dealer, they can be much more help after the sale, such as:

http://www.trewaudio...7&cat=76&page=1

http://www.trewaudio...7&cat=76&page=2

http://www.trewaudio.com/

http://www.pro-sound.com/

So, contact them and they can help you decide just what you need.

To discuss it further here you may wish to start a separate topic.

" I need to know which models of wireless transmitter recievers i have to buy. "

Where are you located ?? Our "usual suspects" professional production sound dealers can, and do ship worldwide, but there may be dealers and distributors closer, and with the more appropriate models for your location outside the USA.

We are always discussing the wireless products, selection, options, and their use. do some searching around this site (be sure to search "forums")...

Of course the exact selections will be based on many factors, like your specific needs, work situations, and include subjective preferences.

Thanks Guys . I`m In Georgia (caucasus) there is no problem to find closer distributor. Mein goal is which transmitter and reciever works cool i mean coverage range. coz senn make drops. :( i think we have to make a special of most common sound on field equipment.

my list is :

Sounddevices : 8channel

transmitter : Lectrosonics SMQV Variable Power

reciever : Lectrosonics UCR411A Digital Hybrid

lavalier : cos 11 d Sanken + countryman b6

Boom ? which is good? maybe stereo ? wright a model.

" coz senn make drops. :( "

The Sennheiser Evolution series wireless have been hugely popular and very successful around the world.

Consider this a warning that there may be more to this than just choice of brand.

" whcih are the best headphones for film shooting? " + " which is good? "

there is no agreement on which is best, for anything! there are lots of alternatives that are popular, and good, even excellent...

there are many factors in these choices, and these are individual, subjective choices we all have to make ourselves. (Your example of wanting a microphone with battery power is just one example of the individual specifics of making these choices, not to mention that Lectrosonics makes a plug-in transmitter that provides full 48v Phantom power)

There are already lots of threads here discussing all of these pieces of kit, and the many good (and some poor) alternatives available.

You keep asking questions that are really answered best by: it depends.

There are lost of reasons to choose one over the other, mostly in the direction of the more expensive choice being a higher level of performance, as the rule is: Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

OTOH, for those on a limited budget, the Sennheiser Evolution series is a terrific value for the price. As I noted there are thousands of success stories of them every day.

Shandro you should go with what suits you best!

If a product in inferior to another product, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll always get inferior results.

The G3s are good value, great battery life on normal alkaline, BUT; they are uncomfortable to use in a bag as the display is on the side and they're heavy.

The lectrosonics sound good (awesome), are sturdy and extremely well built, not just run of the mill, but they are expensive. Price point is always the hardest one, but there's one way of thinking that always beats me as the smartest:

What you're comfortable with.

Why buy something you don't know how to use properly, just cus someone else told you it's "the best"

"the best" product is/should be based on your needs and your knowledge. Buying a BMW or Porsche doesn't make you the best car driver.

So buy what you're comfortable driving. Eventually you'll be able to consider better products, cus theres always a better product. :)

You'll be fine

Buying a BMW or Porsche doesn't make you the best car driver. BUT - my problem is DROPS. Senn G2 DROPS in 5 meters . this is y i want to buy lectrosonic. my question was simple. does G3 works in 10 meters ? without drops ? coz i have heard that lectrosonic has no problem in 10 meters. - i`m talking about wirleless ones.

Hey Shandro,

Lectro's can also "drop" within 5 meters depending on conditions. There are several variables at play, probably the most important of which has to do with existing RF signals in the area, and frequency coordination(especially your own frequencies)... you can have the best wireless system money can buy, but if (for instance) the camera department is using a Modulus or follow focus system in the same frequency range, and right there on set next to your transmitters, guess what -- you'll probably have drop-outs and RF hits. If a TV station has a transmitter nearby that operates within your frequency block (or range) then you'll likely experience a lot of interference as well.

The best thing to do is research as much as possible -- start by finding out what TV/radio stations are operating in the area, and in what frequencies and amplitude (all information that is readily available online)... and also coordinate with the other departments (especially camera dept.) as to what kind of RF equipment if any they will be using. If they're transmitting anything, find out what frequencies they're using, and coordinate accordingly -- if they are using Modulus, etc. to transmit video signal, they should be able to set it to frequency well away from yours (they should have greater latitude in this respect as most video tx/rx systems cover the entire TV/UHF range, while your systems are likely limited to a smaller range of frequencies.)

There are also other factors, like the Senator, Larry, and others pointed out, such as your own frequency coordination, and transmitters (camera hops, etc.) creating problems for your rx's. If you don't find the answers here on JWSound, I would suggest taking a look at Lectrosonics' website -- there is a wealth of information there regarding the successful implementation of wireless systems -- for any location.

Research, research, research -- there is a huge degree of "voodoo" where RF systems are concerned -- regardless of the brand. Knowledge is power -- eliminate as many variables as possible -- and even then, you'll want to cross your fingers. Yeah Lectro's are great -- so are Audio LTD's, Zaxcom, and Sennheisers... they are all merely tools though -- ultimately, it's up to the person using those tools how much of their potential can/will be realized.

~tt

" Senn G2 DROPS in 5 meters "

Yes I heard (read) you the first time...

Many of us, including me, have used Senn Evolution series wireless systems for uears, in various applications with excellent results.

At one of the colleges I am at, we have numerous Sennheiser Evolution Series 100 wireless packs (w/lavs) and several handheld units, including the original models (G1, if you will) as well as G2 and G3 units. These systems have been in daily use for years in all cases routinely providing trouble free operation at typical ranges of 15+ meters.

you really need to do some more reading, including the excellent wireless guides available from several manufacturers (including Lectrosonics). There are many factors that affect their operation, and range,

" at Lectrosonics' website -- there is a wealth of information " Almost all of that information applies to any and every brand and model of wireless microphone.

" Lectro's are great -- so are Audio LTD's, Zaxcom, and Sennheisers. "

and those are the brands we tend to favor in "Production Sound" for movies. There are other brands, like Shure, Audio-Technica, AKG, Sony, and more that are wildly popular in other applications like music and live performance.

thank you very much Guys :* And sorry for toooo much questions :) i know that you r right Senator . But i thought that lectrosonics was much better than senn . Better without discussion :) but now i see that everything is not as i was thinking :)))) anyway thank you Bros :* U really Helped me :*

...and those are the brands we tend to favor in "Production Sound" for movies. There are other brands, like Shure, Audio-Technica, AKG, and more that are wildly popular in other applications like music and live performance.

Exactly... Sennheiser hasn't been around as long as they have by making sub-standard products. Many productions swear by them, and prefer Sennheiser over Lectro and/or the other brands. Personally, I've always used and preferred Lectrosonics, but it would be foolish of me to discount Sennheiser or any other long-standing brand simply because I use Lectrosonics. I've used Zaxcom, Sennheiser, Sony, Sampson... wireless systems -- all with great results.

With RF anomalies, there are simply too many factors involved to simply blame a particular brand or product. Good luck to you Shandro -- you'll figure it out, I'm sure ;)

~tt