Indoors - MKH40 or CMC4/MK41?

Max Hirtenstein

These two seem to go for a similar price used, whereas an MKH50 holds most of its value. I'm leaning away from the Schoeps because I've heard of RF trouble with the CMC4 and I believe it's T-power only. But then again it's a Schoeps...

I can't find too much info on the MKH40 here and would love some opinions on its usefulness for interviews and interior booming, in contrast to the MKH50. How's the reach? Pickup pattern too wide to be useful on set?

Cheers.

There is so much info on both these mics on this site and many like it that it's not funny.

Both the Mkh40/50 and the MK41 are brilliant mics. If you were to go the schoeps route, I'd suggest a cmc6, as they are more resilient to rf noise (ballasts, video TX's, zaxcom TX's etc).

Do a bit of searching, but more importantly, get access to both mics and listen to them.

FWIW, the pattern of the MKH40 is closer in 'width' to that of the mk41 than the 50 is.

I think both mics are about equal in term of 'reach' (which is very hard to quantify by the way). My definition is based on a quality of sound as the mic gets further from the source, not on rejection characteristics. Obviously the 50/40 and mk41 reject from different directions, but I feel they have a similar operating range.

Both great mikes. This is a BMW vs. Mercedes comparison (also both German).

The MKH40 typically sells for about $500 less, if that's a consideration. I own both, use them all the time, but usually go for the Sennheiser if I think we're going to be in more hazardous situations. If we're in a studio and things are fairly controlled and predictable, I'll go for the Schoeps every time.

I agree, I use the 50 more than the 40. But Glen Trew gets great results with the MKH40.

It'd be interesting if somebody did a high-quality Vimeo or YouTube video that compares all 3 mikes -- MKH40, MKH50, and CMC641 -- with the same material, shot in identical places at the same time.

I would say yes because a 40 is hard to use in anything but very quiet locations. The 50 with wind protection can still be used outside or in larger spaces. It's tighter pattern keeps just a bit more ambient noise out making it more versatile. And on that note I would vear away from the schoeps unless you get the cmc-6, get the 41 capsule then buy a new cmc-6. Not only is cmc4 t power ( which I think is inherently noisier than phantom) they are notoriously susceptible to rf and moisture. It is great if your working only in the studio and you can listen to it before buying it and make sure it's not noisy. Again for music it would be great but when you start transmitting rf you might find yourself in trouble.

I say get a new MKH50, a very versatile and amazing sounding mic that you'll always have in your kit, you will never regret that purchase. Later on you will probably want to have the Schoeps as well and they are both awesome, the 50 is just more rugged and can take knocks and humidity/moisture better I think.

The Schoeps sounds better (more natural and detailed) than the Sennheiser but it's hard to notice (but do get the CMC6 preamp).

The Sennheiser has much less noise which is great for quiet (indoor) scenes (whispering or not talking at all).

I have a whole collection of Schoeps and I haven't noticed the CMC4 as being any noiser than either the CMC5 or CMC6 (newer 6 model with improved RF resistance), or sounding any different. I also haven't had RF issues, but I make it a practice not to strap myself next to broadcast transmitters any more than I have to.

Sometime I'll do a test specifically looking for differences to see if any reveal themselves.

The Schoeps sounds better (more natural and detailed) than the Sennheiser but it's hard to notice (but do get the CMC6 preamp).

The Sennheiser has much less noise which is great for quiet (indoor) scenes (whispering or not talking at all).

I was 100% decided on buying the CMC641, I'm gonna have to go into the store and try them all (MKH50, MKH8050, MKH8040, MKH40, and CMC641). Most of what I do requires quiet backgrounds, and full focus on the person talking.

Between the MKH50 and CMC641:

If you're going to leave the mic in your car overnight during really humid conditions, then get the 50 and live happily. If you can keep it under more controlled conditions, then pick whichever one sounds best to you and live happily.

As far as noise, I've never noticed any of my Schoeps as having objectionable self-noise. However, if you're mostly in a studio with extremely well controlled acoustics and talent has a really soft voice, you'd notice a bit of difference -- either would still be suitable, though.