Well.. if it wasn't sad enough..

Richard Ragon

I never ever ever just show up day of the mix.

Yet it seems to be quite frequent to get the "night before" call to show up and record.

(obviously an indicator of what end of the pool I'm swimming in)

I'm thinking part of the problem is schools... 

Yes and no IMHO.

Nobody comes out of a class with Tom Holman at USC and misses the importance of sound.

The so called "movee" schools ??? Well, maybe Richard has a point there

best

Even though I'm in my mid-30's now (damn...when did that happen?), I still remember college and my recent post college days vividly. You come out of school thinking you know everything, and you have no clue of what you really don't know. When I was freelancing I saw that a LOT. Lots of recent grads that think they knew it all but really didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. That's fine. It's a learning process, but I have heard and seen lots of kids being taught that all they need is a boom pole, mic, and a zoom recorder and they are all set. More high schools are doing this now as well. I understand school budgets are really tight, especially public schools, but when you teach kids "these are the tools we are using" and not explaining that the "real" tools are much higher end, all those kids know is "I make movies with this gear, and this sound gear is what I used and it is what I know and it worked for my school project, so it'll work for everything else", and then they get paying gigs and the sound isn't very good...and the dominoes fall as we all know. 

I think the big issue is a double edges sword. Making movies, be it shorts, episodics, or features, is much easier now than it was even back when I was in college. I don't mean easier in terms of the actual process, but easier in terms of access to affordable gear that works "good enough". The cost to make movies 15 to 20 years ago was the barrier to entry that most people didn't even try. That barrier to entry is gone now. 

I'm off to shoot a feature on my iPhone now!

>I heard Richard Portman who teaches at the Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, fails students if they have to do ADR for their class project<

Richard is Professor Emeritus at the Film School.

His mission is to teach the students to get the sound right at the creation

and yes, they do call him Dr Zero for a reason

>I heard Richard Portman who teaches at the Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, fails students if they have to do ADR for their class project<Richard is Professor Emeritus at the Film School.His mission is to teach the students to get the sound right at the creationand yes, they do call him Dr Zero for a reason

I wish more were like him.

re: first time producers burnt by inexperienced sound persons- "once bitten, twice shy." If they make the same mistake over again  regarding location sound, they will fail. Eventually.

If you are in that particular market and want to try and make a go of it, provide the producers with a quote for a reasonable and fair priced professional service for their next movie. If they go for it, or even half way, it means they have learned from their mistake and they might be worth getting involved with in the long term. If they do "get it", and continue to want it all for nothing, walk away because it will always be in their nature to fuck people over. They've probably been doing it their whole lives. Don't expect a change.

Coming from NYU, I'd say my experience working with student filmmakers was widespread. Tisch has excellent Production Sound classes, taught by Chat Gunter, and they are very valuable to each person who takes them as they learn to listen and truly value the weight of sound in filmmaking. That said, none of these craft classes are a requirement, and not many take them.

" I'm thinking part of the problem is schools... "

or this:

• NO BUDGET FILM SCHOOL COMING TO THE BIG APPLE! As previously reported, I will be teaching my "Art & Science of No-Budget Filmmaking" class in New York City, October 5-6, 2013. The class is being hosted by The Actor's Connection and will be taking place in their offices. You can register on their site. Be sure to use the Special Discount Code I've made available to my subscribers: EBIRD50 This will save you $50! I will have more to report on this class as we get closer, including guest speakers. If you're interested in attending, please register early--seating is limited!

No Budget Film School Presents "The Art & Science of No-Budget Filmmaking"
Oct. 5 & 6, 2013 - 9:30am - 6:00pm
The Actor's Connection - 630 9th Avenue, Suite 1410 (btwn 44th & 45th) | New York, NY 10036

For more information and to register, visit:
http://bit.ly/18SMA07

• NO BUDGET FILM SCHOOL BACK IN LA THIS FALL! I will be back in LA with both my class and Tom Provost's wonderful Cinema Language class in November (Nov. 9-10 and Nov. 16-17). This will be the last 2-day class I teach in 2013. I'm working on some great guest speakers that I hope to announce in the coming weeks, but for now, I'm incredibly excited to have filmmaker Destin Cretton to talk about his two feature films, the no-budget I Am Not A Hipster, which premiered at Sundance in 2012; and his new film Short Term 12, (http://shortterm12.com/ ) which premiered at the 2013 SXSW festival and was picked up for distribution by Cinedigm. Short Term 12 is getting fantastic reviews, (and even Oscar buzz for its star Brie Larson), and will be opening theatrically in select cities starting August 23rd. Also joining me will be distribution expert Peter Broderick and post production maven Matt Radecki. As always, subscribers get a 20% discount--use Promotional Code: SUBS More info to come!

No Budget Film School Presents "The Art & Science of No-Budget Filmmaking"
Nov. 9 & 10, 2013 - 9:30am - 6:00pm
Raleigh Studios' Chaplin Theater - 5300 Melrose Ave. | Los Angeles, CA 90038

http://nobudgetfilmschool.eventbrite.com

No Budget Film School Presents "Cinema Language"
Nov. 16 & 17, 2013 - 9:00am - 6:00pm
Raleigh Studios' Chaplin Theater - 5300 Melrose Ave. | Los Angeles, CA 90038

http://cinemalanguage.eventbrite.com

"

of course you must pay $$$ up front for these sessions and lessons!

Edited by studiomprd

Need to ask the people giving these classes if they will take a subway sandwich and a copy of your future released DVD as payment for the class. Promise them you will pay double on the next class they give and you will funnel more student their way if you're successful.

Two months ago I had a conversetion with a young line producer.

She tells me about the deferred payment method will be the future.

From my experience, deferred payment will never amount to being payed, therefore should be considered a freebee. 

I had one deferred payment job call back a couple of years later wanting to buy me out of the contract for $50.

They had managed to get the interest of distributers, but the distribution company would not take on a film in debt, Therefore the producers had to get every single person to agree on the $50, and sign a new contract in order to get the distribution deal. I never heard if they got the deal in the end.

Has anyone ever been payed in full for a deferred payment job?

From what i've seen its fundamentally flawed in respects to creating debt that may not be easy to get out of.

" I had one deferred payment job call back a couple of years later wanting to buy me out of the contract for $50.

They had managed to get the interest of distributers, but the distribution company would not take on a film in debt, "

exactly,  and, BTW, exactly why one should not re-sign for $50...

If it were me, I'd insist on what was "deferred", which would have been my full rate and equipment rental.

this shows how sleazy the producers really are.--and the emptiness of the original "differed payment"...

"

exactly,  and, BTW, exactly why one should not resign for $50...

If it were me, I'd insist on what was "deferred", which would have been my full rate and equipment rental.

this shows how sleazy the producers really are.--and the emptiness of the original "differed payment"...

Totally.

Pay me the original deferred rate.

Why should I care If the distribution do falls through if you don't?

It's no more money in my pocket if it doesn't.

I did a 1 day project for a special effects producer at ILM a bunch of years ago.  "twas a theater announcement to turn your cell phones off...... very clever concept with a submarine crew trying to elude a surface  ship and some knuckleheads cell phone rings...... they broke the 4th wall and shushed the audience.  About a year later I got a check for $1000.00.  Daily rate plus indignation fee. Imagine my surprise.  I keep scanning for those honorable producers that might have a conscience. I think his name was David Jensen.  Hats off.....

• 2 weeks later...