PROBLEM SOLVED - new thin cable DPA 4063 has RF problems

RadoStefanov

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen,

Not sure if I'm reading between the lines but does this mean that you are considering a move to 5v? I'm only asking as I'm thinking of moving to zax radios and at the moment this means having to buy all new dpa's even though I have lots of 4060's from my current system, just because of the difference in voltage....

I've used both 4060s and 4061s into Zaxcom transmitters with good success.

I've found some that exhibit RF noise, but quite a few others that don't. If you have several that are currently wired with TA5F connectors, I'd recommend making a TA5 to Lemo 3-pin adapter and see how well each performs with the Zaxcom transmitters prior to changing connectors. Either that, or make an adapter for each to be able to use them with either system.

Thats a bit of a stretch I think. I have bought my 4063 years ago and there was some RFI all the time which the 2k notch minimized. It was a very small amount and hardly audible (only when using the 4063 as plants and using more gain on the TRX).

I have not been listening to the latest (faulty) version but from this thread I would expect some RFI which made the 4063 completely useless.

Mark described precisely the issue i have experienced, that's what i was referring to. I suppose my statement was a little too cut and dry.

I just got off the phone with my DPA dealer and the official response from DPA is that they will not replace my affected 4063 microphones, even though they are still well inside the 2 year manufacturer warranty. Furthermore, the apparent fix DPA has come up with for this rf interference issue requires the micro dot connector, and thusly the use of micro dot adapters. My dealer said rf interference issues could persist with a new mic if it was wired directly to the lemo 3 pin for Zaxcom.

I will not use microdot adapters. There are too many on their reliability.

This is obviously very disappointing from a customer service perspective. When coupled with DPA's lack of presence here on jwsound, this response speaks to their level of concern for us as users and customers. Unfortunately, I will not be using DPA mics anymore.

Mark O.

PS - on the bright side, I will be selling some DPA 4063 mics in excellent condition. Lots of accessories too.

It seems the word isn't spreading as fast as it could. I just spoke with Erik Mayer and he confirmed the microdot is not required and a hardwired mic will be fine. DPA will be reaching out to dealers in the next few days. As I understand it, the revamped mics aren't in the US yet, but should be arriving soon. 

I've found some that exhibit RF noise, but quite a few others that don't. If you have several that are currently wired with TA5F connectors, I'd recommend making a TA5 to Lemo 3-pin adapter and see how well each performs with the Zaxcom transmitters prior to changing connectors. Either that, or make an adapter for each to be able to use them with either system.

Thanks for the advice... In that case I'll test with my current mics before shelling out on new ones.....

Hi John,

I am making a neckless and my adapter of choice is TA5. Have you made one? If so any pointers?

I am thinking to just wire TA5 ground on pind one and signal on pin 3.  

Have to say, regardless of needing to be careful where I put the excess cable to avoid RF,  

Just finished a shoot with hte DPA 4063 on a couple  TRX900LANC  and it was awesome.  Loved the sound.

As close to a boom as i've heard from a small little sucker.

Will be happy when these new 'fixed ones' land in the states.  

To my ears, it's far more open in the top end compared to the cos11d and far less brash in the sibilance range.  bottom end being neutral and well just right.

Going to get all 5 wireless going with the 4063,  the only way for me now.  Thanks to Jeff and a few of you fella's for speaking highly of it.

Well, contrary to my previous posts, DPA has changed their stance. My dealer has now told me that not only has DPA solved the rf interference issue in such a way that they can be wired directly to a lemo, they will also be repairing warranted mics. Since they cannot repair affected mics, they will issue replacements.

For me, this is a complete 180 turnaround and changes my impression of this company substantially. It seems I will be using DPA mics in the future.

As I understand things, the new mics are not yet available for purchase/replacement. Maybe in the next few weeks...

Mark O.

I spoke with Shan Siebert at DPA. He said they are expecting the new mics next week and will be replacing mics as they receive them. If anyone has an affected mic I suggest contacting their service department to obtain a work order/return authorization number.

He also said that if I send them in with the Lemo 3 pin wired for Zaxcom, the new mics they send back will have the Lemo 3 pin wired for Zaxcom. Bonus!

DPA Microphones: 303-485-1025

Mark O.

Well, contrary to my previous posts, DPA has changed their stance. My dealer has now told me that not only has DPA solved the rf interference issue in such a way that they can be wired directly to a lemo, they will also be repairing warranted mics. Since they cannot repair affected mics, they will issue replacements.

For me, this is a complete 180 turnaround and changes my impression of this company substantially. It seems I will be using DPA mics in the future.

As I understand things, the new mics are not yet available for purchase/replacement. Maybe in the next few weeks...

Mark O.

superb, because i Just bought another one,  and it's got RF problems...   

glad they are replacing them,  it will be profitable for them due to reputation for sure.

superb, because i Just bought another one, and it's got RF problems...

glad they are replacing them, it will be profitable for them due to reputation for sure.

It may have taken a bit of time to come to this response, but I think it shows that DPA is a reputable company.

Part of the delay, domestically speaking, is probably because of communication issues due to distance and language differences. Let's assume the revelation of an rf interference issue originated in the USA. The chain of communication may have looked like this:

Owner -> Dealer -> DPA USA office -> DPA Denmark.

And the reverse coming back. Affected mics from end users had to be shipped to DPA Denmark before their engineers could perform research to learn the source of the problem.

It all leaves a lot of room for miscommunication and delay.

Mark O.

I would like to thank Mikkel  and the entire DPA team

1: for making the best sounding little mics

2: tackling the problem with using zaxcom TX

3: finding a solution as fast as they did

4: letting me keep the 4063 they send me to test free of charge

Keep up the good work DPA

Just an update. DPA has said they will replace mics with Lemo connectors, but they will only wire them with the locking style, not the push-pull style. I opted for pigtail leads and will wire the Lemo connectors myself.

Also, white color 4063 may take a bit longer to be replaced.

Mark O.

I had a previous beta unit that was faulty and I returned, but DPA made good on a swap and I'm happy to say this new mic works well with TRX900LA w/ XR modulation. Apologies in advance for my non manicured workman's hand.

13155807694_c7d0fca6e3_c.jpg

The newer units have been re-designed at the microdot connection (red plastic). As you can see on the adapter end, the gold connection points are crimped instead of a solid ring and there is no more rubber gasket at the base of the threading.

On the microdot end, the shield is a little thinner and there is a little more distance between it and the center pin than on the previous build. The strain relief is also much longer on the wire. Not sure if it is part of the solution, but it's a little nicer.

13155520245_3b25c8387a_c.jpg

• 3 months later...

I had all 3 of mine replaced as they all exhibited varying amount of noise. They were one white and two black. One of the black replacements had worse noise than the one it replaced and had to go back again. I thought I was going to have to explain the whole situation about needing to replace a replacement, but Shan told me right away that they had some bad ones get out as replacements. They took care of it, it just took some time.

Just as a side note, the bad ones had a more flexible and rubbery jacket than the good ones, which have a stiffer and less tacky feeling jacket.

I don't know if dealers still have some "noisy" ones left over. I guess you'll have to try them and find out. The noise is pretty obvious, especially when the cable is coiled near the transmitter. I personally wire them directly to the Lemo 3 pin connectors.

Mark O.