Sound advice/magic?!

Alan Gerhardt

Since the advent of cheap HD cameras I would imagine that most people on this board have been approached by the newbie cameramen/producers/directors seeking advice on how they can get good sound!

My latest inquiry came from a close friend who conducts leadership development courses. He is busy doing courses with people from the corporate world where he puts them in a Naval Bridge Simulator and films them with his GoPro Hero III+. The students then go to the classroom where he shows them the footage and analyses their reactions in an emergency situation.

What he wants to know is "What external microphone can I plug into my GoPro to record audible sound of what the students are saying?"

I hate to have to break the news to a very dear and close friend that the situation is not a good one. There can be up to 10 uncontrolled students in an area of approximately 9 square metres talking all over each other. Since the footage from the GoPro is viewed shortly after shooting there isn't the possibility of multiple mics on multiple tracks and a complex mix in post.

One also then has to point out to them that what we consider a decent microphone in our world would cost way more than their fancy camera.

Naturally they are disappointed by my response and now I find myself wondering whether there may perhaps be a new beast out there that can help these "initiates to the sound world".

Any suggestions?

A bunch of plant mics/shotguns and an auto mixer feeding the GoPro? Still very messy.

Why not make it dual system? It can't take that long to sync up the audio. 

Or just get the camera to feed into somewhere else that the sound is going too. Kind of like an external webcam, then the computer just syncs up the A/V.

Also, if you really want to make sure their REACTIONS are miked, why not have them wear headsets? It doesn't matter if they're seen, plus it could totally add to the environment of a naval bridge.

If you present him with a full solution and make it more of a sales pitch, I feel like someone from the business world might appreciate that and be more open to it. It'll help him out in the long run, and he could charge more for the courses.

I thought the same thing for a second...

Record multitrack into a laptop, then drop/sync the video into an edit system. Then the instructor can solo tracks live to focus on specifics.

Not likely to happen I guess.

Why not make it dual system? It can't take that long to sync up the audio.

Or just get the camera to feed into somewhere else that the sound is going too. Kind of like an external webcam, then the computer just syncs up the A/V.

Also, if you really want to make sure their REACTIONS are miked, why not have them wear headsets? It doesn't matter if they're seen, plus it could totally add to the environment of a naval bridge.

If you present him with a full solution and make it more of a sales pitch, I feel like someone from the business world might appreciate that and be more open to it. It'll help him out in the long run, and he could charge more for the courses.

...a close friend who conducts leadership development courses. He is busy doing courses with people from the corporate world where he puts them in a Naval Bridge Simulator and films them with his GoPro Hero III+. ...

Any suggestions?

My "close friends" are NOT gentle with each other, so it could actually sound like, "Bro-Heem, you're a professional, leading other professionals...stop using toys as your tools."

Thanks for responding guys!

The observation that it is more like surveillance than a production is spot on.

My initial response was that one of the mics we consider professional would cost more than his camera.

I did tell him that multiple mics and an automixer could be a solution; but would cost.

I think it's just a case of over-enthusiasm brought on through witnessing good quality images from negligible outlay and expecting that to hold true for sound as well.

It's wonderful to observe the learning curve experienced by people trying to hear the sound they expected to happen as automatically as their picture did.

If all Production Managers had to go and make a dialogue driven movie with a cheap HD camera, they might end up understanding sound equipment budgets........................!!!

Ignore that last sentence. I went into a dream...........zzzzzzzzz

Or you could stick a JuicedLink/BeachTek/DR60 under the camera and feed at least two mics of your/his choice. Put them up left/roght in the room and the audio will be not good, but better than the camera's on-board audio. Depends on what the guy wants, but hopefully he doesn't wish for perfect sound to match his "GoPro" picture