633 Leaves Me Stranded, Again

JBMangini

Having a backup is the way to go but I am not hauling a second recorder around.

In case shit happens my backup is on the zaxcom wireless TXs.

Oh yeah.... thats BRUTAL ... hauling around a 744T, Maxx or other another recording device....   I can't imagine the strain on my follow cart or on the suspension of my Van....   I could be locked up for abusing the van in that way... The horror of it all...

If I have a deck go down, I am not going to continue to roll as if everything is OK for the rest of the day on my nifty recording Transmitters... not in the real world... sorry...  In the real world, you swap the recorders...   I can see me now standing there with no recorder rolling, for an hour... as my little transmitters simply roll away.... Might as well go home till wrap... LOL

:blink: Note to post....  "My recorder went down, so I simply allowed my transmitters to roll....  You guys put it all together... I guess I could of replaced the recorder, but I didn't want to stress my Shipping case, follow cart or vehicle...Hope you understand."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying I don't have a backup recorder in my case. I always do. But in my bag if something happen I can finish a take and swap as soon as the situation allows. Nobody has to know.

And I will take care of the transmitter files before it gets to post.

Oh yeah.... thats BRUTAL ... hauling around a 744T, Maxx or other another recording device....   I can't imagine the strain on my follow cart or on the suspension of my Van....   I could be locked up for abusing the van in that way... The horror of it all...

If I have a deck go down, I am not going to continue to roll as if everything is OK for the rest of the day on my nifty recording Transmitters... not in the real world... sorry...  In the real world, you swap the recorders...   I can see me now standing there with no recorder rolling, for an hour... as my little transmitters simply roll away.... Might as well go home till wrap... LOL

:blink: Note to post....  "My recorder went down, so I simply allowed my transmitters to roll....  You guys put it all together... I guess I could of replaced the recorder, but I didn't want to stress my Shipping case, follow cart or vehicle...Hope you understand."

I can relate to not wanting to "haul around a second recorder". Always being on the road, I have a small backup mixer with me generally, but not a second recorder. If I were on a film perhaps but run and gun on the road. No. The production company doesn't rent a second camera everyday to have just in case...

I can relate to not wanting to "haul around a second recorder". Always being on the road, I have a small backup mixer with me generally, but not a second recorder. If I were on a film perhaps but run and gun on the road. No. The production company doesn't rent a second camera everyday to have just in case...

I disagree. If I'm in the road and my recorder goes down, I DEFINITELY want my backup recorder with me. If I'm working local, it maybe makes more sense to leave it at home as I could go home and grab it, but a Maxx or 633 is just about as small as any backup mixer now so why not bring it?

I disagree. If I'm in the road and my recorder goes down, I DEFINITELY want my backup recorder with me. If I'm working local, it maybe makes more sense to leave it at home as I could go home and grab it, but a Maxx or 633 is just about as small as any backup mixer now so why not bring it?

+1 I always bring both the 633 and 664 with me everywhere I go. Packed correctly a 1510 pelican can hold a small ktek pole a 633 2 411 np1 batteries and a 416 easiy. This is my back up kit if I am flying or traveling with production. If I am driving my van has everything I own in it. I also never leave home without  the Zoom H4N is seems to always come in handy. 

Having a backup in the van can serve many useful purposes. I have a second recorder fully set-up in a bag in my van. This is backup for the cart, and not just for recorder backup. There's another SRa in there, ifb, etc. So if anything happens to the cart, including power issues, I'm up and running again in seconds.

But this is also handy to have as a bag setup, for cars or anywhere I can't go with the cart.

I don't care about camera backups. If the camera fails, no-one will blame the AC, but if my recorder fails, everyone will blame me, fair or not.

Having a backup in the van can serve many useful purposes. I have a second recorder fully set-up in a bag in my van. This is backup for the cart, and not just for recorder backup. There's another SRa in there, ifb, etc. So if anything happens to the cart, including power issues, I'm up and running again in seconds.

But this is also handy to have as a bag setup, for cars or anywhere I can't go with the cart.

I don't care about camera backups. If the camera fails, no-one will blame the AC, but if my recorder fails, everyone will blame me, fair or not.

+1 Most shoots I am on these days have a DSLR of some type as a spare. But like it or not if your gear fails it will be your fault 

I once had my Fusion go down on

me in the middle of a job. We were on a short break and I turned it off. When I turned it on I wasn't getting signal to any of my inputs. Later when I sent it in they told me the A/D converters went on it.

I did have a back up, my 552. Went home and got it and saved the day.

Now I have a Nomad and MAXX. And a H6 just in case it all goes to hell.

Back up plans for all your gear is always a good idea I think.

Every day, every situation is different in the world I work. I try to be prepared, as much as possible, and this includes owning reliable equipment.

Although having a backup for each piece of gear is a great solution, it's not always realistic to have it attached to my belt.

When running onto basketball court for post game interviews, I'm not pushing a cart with supplies around the court, nor do I have an assistant to shine my shoes. Yes, I might have a pelican packed with backup equipment on site, but realistically, there isn't always a second take or another opportunity to switch out gear.

What leaves me baffled is that Sound Devices Tech Support assumed it was a hardware issue. It was explained that the day prior, the machine completely froze. The following day, none of the inputs would activate. SD offered to send me a loaner, for $80/day. This, along with the initial card and firmware issues, have left me with a different opinion about how this company operates.

Having a good backup plan is important.  That plan doesn't always have to be 2 of every piece of gear, but you need a solution ready to go if anything breaks.  Sometimes that's pulling another piece of gear out, sometimes that's changing the way you record a particular moment.  Either way you are there to record sounds, not f around with equipment, so make sure you can always do just that.

"What leaves me baffled is that Sound Devices Tech Support assumed it was a hardware issue. It was explained that the day prior, the machine completely froze. The following day, none of the inputs would activate. SD offered to send me a loaner, for $80/day. This, along with the initial card and firmware issues, have left me with a different opinion about how this company operates. "

Other than listening to your description of events, processing that info and trying to help out over the phone, I don't know what else one might expect... They offered a loner until the problem can be resolved... Card and firmware issues ?  YOU bought the card correct...  Firmware issues or having to reload the firmware are not unusual ... for almost all firmware related pieces of gear...  If that really bugs you, better get out now... LOL...

I have dealt with this company for YEARS... Great company, great service, great help by Casey and the guys and great gear... I don't know what else to say.... or what exactly you expect from them...  They can not properly fix the issue after trying the recommended procedures until they get a hold of the machine...  The phone help is good, but only so much can be addressed. You must understand that...

If you bought a $50,000 car, and it had an issue, are you going to think less about the company.... Are you going to call first and ask questions...?  are you going to drop it off for service?   Of course... will you then complain that the whole shabang is corrupted because you had an issue... ? JB, it's 2014.... things are very complicated...   Be patient, understand things happen... for all companies, for all gear for everything...  You hope... but sooner or later, it may be you and your gear. Try to understand...

Mangini: " realistically, there isn't always a second take "

yep...

CRAP Happens...

but this is not life and death stuff...

" What leaves me baffled "

guess you baffle easily...

what you describe sounds pretty customer service oriented (sending you a loaner for a reasonable price)...

now, you may have heard the old saw about catching more flies..?  I have the impression you may have been using vinegar..?

" It was explained that the day prior, the machine completely froze. "

HUH??  I did not see that in your OP you said:  " Arrived on location today, powered up my 633, and surprise! None of the inputs will work. "

fieldmixer: " like getting a loaner car when you bring it into the dealership. "

that is not automatic...(actually, not too common, either!)

"and I thought I had mentioned: the title of this thread would have been changed if it was: NOMAD leaves Me Stranded, Again"

Thats funny.... :blink:   I was thinking the same thing .... WAY in the back of my head...  But the "other guys" gear never has any issues, or problems... EVER.... How is that...   And when you call everything is magically fixed.... right over the phone... and if not,   don't they "same day out FED EX"  send new gear... for free?...   And then have a 2 day turn around?    LOL  

Guys, all the companies do the best they can....  All of them... Most do a damn good job for us.... we are actually lucky in our business...