Bubblebee Sidekick & Comtek 216 issue

Anyone using the Bubblebee Sidekick (ver 1) with a Comtek 216 RX?  It appears it doesn’t want to play nice. No sound at all coming through. Tried multiple RX’s, no luck. Sidekick seems to be functioning, tried direct connection to headphone out of mixer (664) and also works connected to iPhone. So unit is functioning. BB says the Sidekick has a “universal 1/8” jack” and looks to be TRRS ....not TRS.. and current unit is “Left Ear/ Mono.” Using a Mono adapter on the Sidekick  “fixes” the issue but not ideal or what i expected. Comtek 216 Rx is mono out ...so what am I missing? My dealer is looking into the issue at the moment but I’d thought maybe I could dig up some more info w/ the JWSound brain trust. ....

Thanks Rado...this all makes sense in words...but where are these options located- Not on the BB site.(or my usual suspects site) Sure i know I can get anything custom made..Why would it be wrong to think a MONO earpiece would not work on an MONO output -comtek? Rado-do you/ have you used the Sidekick w/ comtek 216? If you can please post a pic of the magical cables you speak of. Thanks! 

Comtek's headphone output is set up to play out of phase in stereo headphones – this is their workaround for making their unbalanced headphone amp work for both mono and stereo connectors. Bubblebee likely sums the tip and ring of the headphones as 99.999% of trs jacks are wired in phase (and if stereo, it'll sum mono), and audio 101 tells us that when you sum an in phase signal with an out of phase signal you get nothing.

Using a mono adapter is the standard procedure for making stereo wired headphones play in phase with the Comtek mono connector.

This is a Comtek issue, use an adapter, or modify either your comteks or headphones/BB ear piece. It isn't Bubblebee's problem they went with the industry standard.

2 hours ago, Shastapete said:

Comtek's headphone output is set up to play out of phase in stereo headphones – this is their workaround for making their unbalanced headphone amp work for both mono and stereo connectors. Bubblebee likely sums the tip and ring of the headphones as 99.999% of trs jacks are wired in phase (and if stereo, it'll sum mono), and audio 101 tells us that when you sum an in phase signal with an out of phase signal you get nothing

Thank you for this explanation. Helpful. 

Using a mono adapter is the standard procedure for making stereo wired headphones play in phase with the Comtek mono connector.

BUT....if you purchased a single ear earpiece, labeled MONO....would it be silly to think it would NOT work with a Comtek? - see my frustration? It appears that there isn’t any Sidekick variety  that works w/ a Comtek w/o using a mono adapter. Using an adapter,  in my professional opinion, Using a mono adapter is the standard procedure for making stereo wired headphones play in phase with the Comtek mono connection  adds a break/ failure point in the system. I would think that with the few IFB systems we use (Lectro/ SENN/ COMTEK) that there should be a some kind of notice from BB that it will not play nice w/ Comteks w/o an adapter. I have a hard time thinking that  BB doesn’t know  this is an issue.  Obviously I’ve reached out to BB, and my Usual Suspects.... radio silence. Full disclosure...I’m a HUGE BB fan...I use SO many of their products on a daily basis. Fantastic design, materials and functionality. I was SO stoked to have a Show to utilize the Sidekick on and I feel a bit let down.