First days with the Sound Devices 552 Mixer/Recorder

Chris Durfy

I got my 552 yesterday. First things first, let me say wow, as a first impression it’s freakin’ awesome.

So, what is the 552? Well, take a 442 mixer, add an extra input channel, then add a 2 channel recorder with time code input, then make it way more configurable and easier to operate, add a bunch of informative LEDs, add a weird sounding talking menu system and while you’re at it, add a talk back circuit to boot… all in a package ½ lb LESS than the 442… and voila – the 552.

Here is a list of the most noticeable differences between the 442 and the new 552:

Front panel configurable

Remember all the switches on the left side of the 442? Well on the 552, they are gone. Instead, the options for mic/line levels and phantom power are all accessible on the front panel via use of the channels PFL(Pre-Fade Listen) switch in concert with the slate mic switch to toggle settings.

The Knobs & Switches

The Input Faders are now contoured differently and sport a silver knob on the tip of the fader for fingertip control. (I call it the “Suicide Stick”, because it reminds me of the old steering assist knobs on older style school buses from waaaay back in the day). I really like the feel and response of the new faders.

The Coarse Gain, L/R Pot & Low-cut Filter knobs all have the same look and feel, The only exception is that the Course gain has an additional 12db of upper end gain than the 442 had.

(22-72db on the 552 vs. 22-60db on the 442).

The Headphone Volume knob is now a digital knob with a built in button. Not only does it control the headphones volume, but it also controls MUCH more. When the Headphone knob is rotated, The VU meter reflects the level of the volume.

The volume controller also controls secondary functions such as the menu, LED brightness and return level control, depending on the button or switch being held down, then using the volume control to adjust setting and make selections with it’s push button. Simply pushing the volume button engages the zoom function on the VU meter (which is a mode where it shows you 0 to 20 on the mixer only, but spread over the whole VU).

The PFLs operate differently from the 442. Rather than the “press and hold” switches on the 442, when you slide the switch and let go of the PFL, the channel is soloed until you slide it over again.

The Slate Mic/Tone switch is slightly changed too. When you quickly slide the slate mic switch and release it, it solos the slate until you slide it again. If you press and hold the slate switch for more than a moment, it releases the slate mic when you release the switch. The tone switch no longer latches. Instead, it acts like a press and hold button, but when you hold it on for two seconds it stays in tone mode until you flip the switch again to release it. The slate mic level is adjusted by holding the slate mic and turning the headphone volume knob. A visual level shows on the VU meter the volume change. (This may SOUND complicated, but it’s very intuitive once you do it for the first time!)

The Return switch for A & B returns now have LED lights showing if they are active in the headphones. You can adjust the levels for the headphones by holding the switch for the return on and adjusting the headphone knob to raise or lower the levels. A visual level shows on the VU meter the volume change.

SVEN  (Synthetic Voice Enhanced Navigation)

SVEN is a voice driven menu system that talks to you through your

headphones. Frankly, he is a little hard to understand at first, but

as you become more familiar with”him” it starts to get easier to

understand him.

SVEN announces individual menu choices and options, record/play

status, time of day and recording time remaining on the card.

The first person who figures out how to hack the 552 to get SVEN to

sound more like a HELEN will get some serious kudos from fellow sound

mixers. ;-)

Built-in Recorder

The 552 incorporates a high quality two channel WAV/MP3 Recorder. It records in 16 or 24 bit and up to 96Khz WAV files.

It accepts incoming timecode, but does not generate it’s own. Timecode needs to be fed into the mixer via a TA3 connector on the right side to sync the device with a camera/s. This could be done a number of ways, such as hardwiring, or the use of a lock-it box in the bag with the 552, or even running a wireless transmitter on the camera sending timecode out to a receiver in the bag to the 552.

The 552 automatically changes it’s timecode settings to reflect the type of incoming timecode.

The file saving work flow saves each day of recording in a daily folder (Year, Month,Day, 09Y10M15) and records filenames in order of recording (Y,M,D, # – 09Y10M15-001.WAV). It also has a max recording size of 2gb and automatically splits to the next file when it reaches the limit.

Pressing and holding the Battery Check button enables SVEN to tell you how much recording time remains on the card.

You have to remove the card and mount it in either a Windows or Mac system to transfer the files. The USB connector that is next to the card is for factory use only and does not allow you to use it to transfer data.

Another nice feature of the recorder is the ability to playback files to headphone AND/OR to your source mix or IFB. To enable Output/IFB playback, hold down the Battery Button and press the play button.

There is a small chance of bumping the record toggle button, but I don’t think it’s that much of a problem, but a record switch lock might be a nice future addition.

The Menu

Getting into the control menu is much easier and can be done without having to turn on and off the device. In fact, it can be operated while actively mixing without interrupting the program! To access the menu, hold down the Battery Check Button and click the Headphone button. SVEN guides you through the setup of each function. He takes a little getting used too. Use the volume control to guide yourself through the menu items and use the volume push button to choose your selection. To exit the menu and accept your changes, simply push the battery check button.

Menu items are quite diverse and there are many more configuration options than with the 442.

Talkback Function

When the talkback function is selected in the menu, the 1/8” headphone jack is split off (from the 1/4”)

so that the slate mic appears in the right monitor of the boom operator’s headphones for discreet communication from to the mixer. In this mode, the slate mic does not go to program mix. There are various options for what gets routed to the boom op.

As of yet, I’m not sure if it can be configured to allow for a talkback from the boom op.

New LEDs

There are a lot more LEDs on the 552 than the 442. Whereas the 442 had Level , Headphone, Peak, Limiter and Power LEDs, the 552 has many more informative LEDs than it’s predecessor. Each pot has it’s own channel specific LEDs that show the status of the channels phantom power and line/mic status. Some channels have other LEDs for Phase, MS, and Channel Linking.

There is another LED directly above each pot that I particularly like: the Input Signal LED. Where as the 442 had a Peak & Limiter LED, the 552 now has a single LED the changes colors and brightness depending on the level pushing through the channel (green, yellow, red). It also changes to an off-yellow when the PFL is activated on channel to show that it is being soloed.

LED Brightness is controlled by holding the battery check button and turning the headphones knob left (-) or right (+). There are MANY more levels of brightness steps than the 442 five steps.

Other LEDs:

-The Record LED changes colors to reflect current recording/playing status. It blinks yellow if no SD/SDHC card is in the slot or if the card is in, but remains unformatted.

-The Zoom LED lights up when it is engaged.

-There is also a LED on the front that lets you know if timecode is actively being fed to the 552.

-Just like the 442, the Headphones LED will glow read when the headphone amp starts to overload.

Other noticeable differences:

-Supports AES Digital outputs.

-Return Loop back ability (Takes the A&B return and sums them and outputs to Tape Out and Mono Mic out)

-Split ear Return Monitoring (Listen to A Summed Returned in left and B Summed Return in your right ear)

-Left Tone Oscillator function (to check to make sure your left and right channels are properly set on cameras)

-Time of Day Date/Clock

What’s Missing?

Not much really.

One thing missing from the 552 vs the 442 is the option for T power mics. All you 416T users are going to have to upgrade or get a Phantom to T power converter.

I also wish the 552 had a built-in time code generator. Maybe the 552T is in the future? We can only hope!

In Conclusion:

I really love my 552. It is an huge step forward in field mixing.

May the 442 rest sweetly in heaven… and the X5 burn baby burn! Long live the 552!

(I will say that I used to have a Wendt X5 and it served me well for many years, even though I had many particular issues with it (limiters, channel bleed, etc.) )

You can view this post on my blog with the picture gallery at: http://blog.chrisdurfy.com/?p=130

More information can be found on the Sound Devices website at:

http://sounddevices.com/products/552.htm

Chris Durfy, ATLaudio.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my 552 yesterday. First things first, let me say wow, as a first impression it’s freakin’ awesome.

So, what is the 552? Well, take a 442 mixer, add an extra input channel, then add a 2 channel recorder with time code input, then make it way more configurable and easier to operate, add a bunch of informative LEDs, add a weird sounding talking menu system and while you’re at it, add a talk back circuit to boot… all in a package ½ lb LESS than the 442… and voila – the 552.

Chris Durfy, ATLaudio.com

Very complete description of the SD 552, and thank you, Chris D. It was very easy for me to get what seems to be an accurate picture of what it is like to actually use the 552. For those who are already even more familiar with the 442, your comparisons will be even more useful.

My only comment, and this was the case after I attended the Robert Kennedy/Coffey Sound demo of the 552, is that Sound Devices continues to be about as clever in design/function as anyone could ever be --- packing so many features and options into their devices (like the 442, the 7 series recorders, etc.) and then figuring out how to design in access to these features, the UI or the all important user interface. I am still concerned that this approach does require that you remember all sorts of "shortcuts" (actually, not shortcuts because all those key combination commands are the ONLY way to set up and access the machine's features) but I am not a veteran SD user and most probably everyone learns these things and gets used to it. I still find it cumbersome and somewhat annoying having to scroll through an endless roll of menus on the SD recorders --- I am spoiled, of course, by the touchscreen interface on my Deva, something which would obviously not be possible on the SD recorders (physical size limitation) or the SD 552.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review.

-  Jeff Wexler

The first person who figures out how to hack the 552 to get SVEN to

sound more like a HELEN will get some serious kudos from fellow sound

mixers. ;-)

I'll be in the market next year...Perhaps I can void my warranty and implement DANA:

Dulcet Aural Navigation Assistant.

Thanks for the review. The field tests are going to be interesting. I do worry about the complexity of menus, but I guess once one learns the system...

So how is working with SVEN instead of hardware switches etc when you are working/rolling etc on a real job?  That is probably my biggest concern--so much of what the box can do is only settable via SVEN--and Scott's comment about hearing SVEN over incoming audio is a major concern of mine.  Are you finding that you can mostly get the thing set up as you want and then not need to access the SVEN-ized features so much while working?

Thanks for the info. Re SVEN's voice, I vote for something more like the voices used in military aircraft, or, failing that, "Marvin The Paranoid Android" from "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy".

Philip Perkins

I'm also considering picking up a 552 next year.  (Or maybe a 442 for cheap!)  I second Scott's whole wishlist of revision features.  I can see Rec Run functionality being especially useful for some shoots.  Full TC gen would be nice but it's also nice that it's the same size as the 442 and even lighter..  I imagine adding more and more hardware would probably compromise those qualities..

Hopefully the mixer having a USB port will mean that the end-user will be able to update the firmware on their own so that frequent trips back to Wisconsin aren't necessary.. (no offense.. I love that place)  I'm also curious to see how much can and will be added to the 552's functionality via firmware updates.

Thanks Chris for all the info!

The 552 looks great, havnt got my hands on one yet... but also am not a fan of having important functions buried in menues. The 7 series recorders I can deal with, and find accessing menu items pretty quick and easy.. But for an ENG mixer.. when things get hairy on set and you need to make fixes in a hurry, its far easier to flick a switch than start going into menues and waiting for voice prompts to let you know where you're at.

I think SD have designed a great product, but am not thrilled about the SVEN thing and would actually prefer it if they had stuck to the layout of the 442 which I own and love. I dont even mind having my backup recorder external, it weighs almost nothing!

The 552 is no doubt a flexible tool however and is going to replace alot if not all Wendt X5's over the coming years.

Jon Chiles

Thanks vey much for the detailed review - interesting that there's another 12db of gain, that's a definite selling point for me.

Any idea whether the returns have been improved. I've always found the 442 returns to be poor with bad distortion on some sibilance and I've spent quite a bit of time and experimentation trying to find a solution without success (different wiring).

You can hear it by making a 'sssssss'  in to a mic. and listening to a return from anything -camera, another mixer etc. I've heard this from four other people with 442's as well so it's not just mine.

I'd love to know whether the return sound is now completely clean?

thanks

Mick

Thanks vey much for the detailed review - interesting that there's another 12db of gain, that's a definite selling point for me.

Any idea whether the returns have been improved. I've always found the 442 returns to be poor with bad distortion on some sibilance and I've spent quite a bit of time and experimentation trying to find a solution without success (different wiring).

You can hear it by making a 'sssssss'  in to a mic. and listening to a return from anything -camera, another mixer etc. I've heard this from four other people with 442's as well so it's not just mine.

thanks

Mick

One of my friends and collegues reports exactly this problem (with the 442). He remains unimpressed with the response from Sound Devices (that the problem is non-existent).

So, the 552 has AES/EBU outputs...does this mean I could send 2 sets of AES tracks (4 tracks of audio) to a video camera, such as the PDW-700?

-Jason

Yes, both the 10pin Hirose and XLRs can be set to AES mode.  There are 2 A/D converters in the 552 so you can send 4 channels.

---Matt

So how is working with SVEN instead of hardware switches etc when you are working/rolling etc on a real job?  That is probably my biggest concern--so much of what the box can do is only settable via SVEN--and Scott's comment about hearing SVEN over incoming audio is a major concern of mine.  Are you finding that you can mostly get the thing set up as you want and then not need to access the SVEN-ized features so much while working?

Philip,

SVEN is only used in the menu and to announce information (time/date check, record time remaining warnings, file names, etc.) in general use.  Think about how often you went into the menu in the 442 to change something.  Granted, there are more things in there, but not a lot of stuff you would change on a daily basis, except maybe changing record mode, selecting your recorder input, turning timecode on or off -- most of it is set it and forget it kind of stuff.

That said, there is still a menu cheat sheet that will come with the 552, so if you are looking at that and know exactly where you need to go, you can dial right to it and select the setting--no waiting for SVEN to announce the item or the selections available.

SVEN does duck program audio for announcements.

---Matt

Hopefully the mixer having a USB port will mean that the end-user will be able to update the firmware on their own so that frequent trips back to Wisconsin aren't necessary.. (no offense.. I love that place)   I'm also curious to see how much can and will be added to the 552's functionality via firmware updates.

Firmware updates will not require a trip to the mothership.

You can hear it by making a 'sssssss'  in to a mic. and listening to a return from anything -camera, another mixer etc. I've heard this from four other people with 442's as well so it's not just mine.

The returns have quite a bit more gain to them now.  In the past I had trouble getting enough gain out of Panasonic DVX cameras to hear the return well.  Now, I can crank the return gain up and match return level to my headphone level.

Not sure if any other changes were made to the returns.

---Matt

I'd like to have seen the variable limiter possibilities a la the 788T implemeted on the 552, if only so I could set the attack and release times to my beloved SQNs. (0.5ms attack and 100ms release, as opposed to 1ms attack and 500ms release).

I haven't had a chance to actually hear how much of a difference this makes in the real world though...

The SQN may have an export extra charge for Americas but even if you try to buy it in Europe, you'll still be paying big money (I checked a few years ago).

Same with Schoeps mics I'd pay around 1 1/2 times the price (if not more) in France as opposed to here in Canada.

Well, at that time, I figured I could save some dough cause I was going to Europe for a while but I ended up buying everything here in Canada or in the US.

Chris got a nice point there (the PDA options). I'll soon check the mixer as a friend is waiting for his (he's second on the list here) and I'm eager to see if I indeed dig this SVEN. Usually, these voice things get on my nerves real quick, especially if I have to wait 'til the voice is over to get to the actual parameter modification ...

what about a self destruct feature??

all really important equipment has one, and then SVEN could start announcing:" the mixer will self destruct in 5 minutes, the mixer will self destruct in 4 minutes 55 seconds, the mixer will self destruct in 4 minutes 50 seconds, ..."

I would suggest the voice of 'Mother' from the film Alien..."You have 4 minutes to reach minimum safe distance..."