Deity TC-1

Michael Kocab

11 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

What I noticed is that I couldn't set the yy:mm:dd:uu format in the app at all.  Maybe you have a more recent version, and this is a bug in the app?

What version of the app & TC-1 firmware are you on?

iOS app version: 1.2.1 

Firmware version: 1.8 (2022-12-16)

Yes, all available preset formats in the app are without UB (yy/mm/dd, dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy), however, user bits are always the last two characters, which you can edit manually. Because of a bug, they’re output as the first two.

15 hours ago, EMP said:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share a bug I found on TC-1. User bits set in Sidus Audio app are being output in the reverse order.

For example, if you set UB to yy:mm:dd:uu in the app, TC-1 will output uu:dd:mm:yy. Confirmed with Zoom F8n Pro and Tentacle Sync E.

Not sure if this issue is with the TC-1 or Sidus Audio app.

Did anyone notice this as well?

Hi @EMP, confirmed. We are working on it, we have a solution already, final stages of testing at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just broke my first TC-1.  Cracked screen.  This is not a fault of the unit; it's definitely an L&D situation due to on-set abuse, but having a screen definitely creates a failure mode that doesn't otherwise exist, which isn't something I was thinking about when I bought it.

The unit still functions fine, so it's really just cosmetic (for now, anyway).

Now to find out what Deity's repair options are like.

signal-2023-11-21-21-49-58-021.jpg

2 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

Just broke my first TC-1.  Cracked screen... Now to find out what Deity's repair options are like.

I'm thinking that with the app, you don't really need the screen. I've been using the app daily just to set TC on my Scorpio with the MASTER unit that lives in my bag.

I hope they can fix it for you at a reasonable cost. Please keep us posted!

Cheers,

Tim

Even without the app, the screen is functional enough.  I prefer not being dependent on an app, and my normal workflow doesn't use it.

My bigger worry is long-term longevity once the screen is cracked.  I'm kind of expecting the screen to come off in bits, and it's probably not as water resistant as before.

13 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

My bigger worry is long-term longevity once the screen is cracked.  I'm kind of expecting the screen to come off in bits, and it's probably not as water resistant as before.

I would try applying a smartphone hard screen protector cut to TC-1 screen size. Might just hold the cracked glass together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2023 at 5:45 PM, Tim Norris said:

I hope they can fix it for you at a reasonable cost. Please keep us posted!

I'm afraid this hasn't been a good experience so far.  I e-mailed their support two weeks ago.  Heard nothing, so I bugged them after a week.  This did produce a response asking for a photo of the damage and some particulars about the item.  I send it promptly.  Since then, nothing.

So, to sum up, it's been two weeks since I first enquired, and I still don't know whether they can repair it, despite sending them the information they requested.

I'll keep bugging them, but this isn't stellar service.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:53 PM, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

I'm afraid this hasn't been a good experience so far.  I e-mailed their support two weeks ago.  Heard nothing, so I bugged them after a week.  This did produce a response asking for a photo of the damage and some particulars about the item.  I send it promptly.  Since then, nothing.

So, to sum up, it's been two weeks since I first enquired, and I still don't know whether they can repair it, despite sending them the information they requested.

I'll keep bugging them, but this isn't stellar service.

Unfortunately, this has been my experience with Deity support in the US up to this point. Every interaction I've had with them has taken months to resolve. Hopefully their service will improve. I own 6 of their lavalier mics and associated microdot connectors, and 3 TC-1's. I'll stick with my Denecke slates until I know I can get reliable service.

I’ve only ever gotten replacement of my mics and adapters, never repair. 
It does seem that Deity, as a company, is not actually located in the US, which may have something to do with their inability to respond quickly. Their US offices may only handle sales and distribution. 
This is all only conjecture. 

As far as I know, Andy Jones runs the company from L.A., but the manufacturing is all done in China, which makes me doubt that in-house repairs are possible.  I just wish they would tell me that straight-up instead of making me guess.  My support inquiry was literally just that question, and the only message I've had from them simply asked for more information without answering the question.

In any case, thanks for sharing your experience.  It's one more data point.

I like the cel phone screen cover as a stopgap.  But eventually you'll be working out in the rain....or dust...

In the MI electronics world, replacement while under warranty and no help at all after has become the norm, with no fixing type service ever.

The Deity stuff seems to come from that part of the manufacturing world.

5 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

Can you answer the simple question that they haven't for me?  I.e. do they in fact offer repair service for their products, or is it strictly a replacement programme?

This won't help... it's only $200 to buy a new unit. It is almost disposable gear.

If it cost a couple grand, repair would be cost effective.

Cheers,

Tim

30 minutes ago, Tim Norris said:

This won't help... it's only $200 to buy a new unit. It is almost disposable gear.

I have come to the same conclusion.  But the PM for my L&D wants to know if it can be repaired, so I'm seeking a definitive answer.

I don't like treating gear as disposable, so I guess I'll buy something else next time.

3 hours ago, Tim Norris said:

This. 

No matter what the brand, be it Deity or anybody else, then if a piece of complex hardware costs merely sub $200 to buy, then it would never ever make financial sense to repair it. 

I'd argue that most repair costs today are by far labor costs.  I'd doubt anywhere would charge less than $100/hour for labor these days alone so even if it was a $20 screen that broke (guestimating), I couldn't see it being economical to ship --> fix (labor + parts) --> ship back.

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

hardware costs merely sub $200 to buy, then it would never ever make financial sense to repair it. 

Yes, don't repair a flat tire on your childs bike. Get as new one.

9 hours ago, codyman said:

I'd doubt anywhere would charge less than $100/hour for labor these days

So, you mean my income is 15.000 USD a month?

17 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

I'd be happy if they would ship me the screen and *I'll* repair it.

At $50 rental per day, it's making money on rental day 5. If it still works just fine with the app, I might use it as the one that lives in my mixer to set TC and is the master unit, and probably get an extra one.

Such tiny complicated items can't easily be repaired.

Cheers,

Tim

Just received this reply from Deity (on a Sunday night ... their support team must be in China):

Hello Devon,

Thanks for your patience.

We want to express our sincere gratitude for your patience during this process. We understand that waiting for a resolution can be challenging, and we appreciate your understanding.

From the photo,  the damage is on the protective lens, it is easy to replace, we'd love to send you a few ones freely, you just need to bone the freight from China to Canada of 45 USD, would it be acceptable?

In order to ease the customs clearance, the price in the shipping invoice would be 5 USD. Please let me know if it's unavailable.

Any concerns pls feel free to contact us.

So, it does seem to be repairable after all.