Which eSmart battery to get?

caliman

Researching which Smart battery system to go for. I came across the new Deity 95Wh batteries, which are very cheap. Then there are the 96 Wh Audioroot NEO ones, and the 98Wh Audioroot ones, which are about 100 euros more expensive than the rest. How much of a difference would a 98Wh battery make vs a 95/96Wh one in terms of runtime?

Not sure what to make of all of this. Would be great to hear your input on this. Which system are you using? Anyone using the new Deity batteries?

Cheers!

I'm using the Deity batteries now on my B rig. Single battery runs MixPre10ii,several Sony URX,hop,tablet for 10 hours. Used on a few shoots now and has been consistent and accurate. Bought direct from Apurture for $169. Also the DQC1 charger they make charges the S-95 in 3 hours from dead and it's only $69. NO issues with any of their BDS so far.

I was under the impression that the remote audio and Audioroot batteries are both made by inspired energy, but I can’t confirm that for sure.  I have a mix of Audioroot, Inspred Energy, and Remote Audio and have not seen any quality differences. 
I can’t speak to the Diety’s, but  2 WH won’t make a noticeable difference. Assuming a 6 hour runtime, that’s about 7 min. 

Deity seems intent on buying their way into market share, so I'm not surprised their pricing is aggressive.  They also seem to be working to shed their image as "prosumer", but that has been their reputation so far.  They also seem to have supply chain connections in China which most of our boutique manufacturers lack, which may be part of where that discount comes from.

Until they become better known, some of us will have to be guinea pigs, but my guess is they are probably decent quality given their desire to be taken seriously.

I like the price tag, but I worry about buying from a company whose business model is mass production rather than service to our industry.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:43 PM, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

I like the price tag, but I worry about buying from a company whose business model is mass production rather than service to our industry.

True.  Curious how their USB-C charger for batteries works.  Seems like that would be perfect for travel gigs.

17 hours ago, codyman said:

True.  Curious how their USB-C charger for batteries works.  Seems like that would be perfect for travel gigs.

I've done about 10 battery cycles with it so far. Have to feed it 45 watts via usb-c for maximum rate.

So when all the smart batteries came out I was cautious…I didn’t see the advantage over my IDX LS7’s I’d been using for years. The NP1 vs the HiQ / Inspired Energy shapes are similar,  one is longer but one is wider…the Hi Q’/ IE’s were slightly more powerful (68vs 98) however… IDX dropped the NP-9X and matched the power the HI Q / IE’s… I picked up 3 and LOVE them.   All of my old chargers- JL2-Plus- @$400/ each- work with the new batteries and I use my LS7s in my B Rig.  I also have a slim travel charger for the 9X’s that I pretty much only use anymore. The NP-9X also have d-taps for external power. IDX is a solid battery company with years of experience and service. 10/10 take my money. 

Batteries are not something I’m interested in buying at a low budget. No power. No Recording. As much as charging via USB c sounds great…I don’t think I trust it enough from a new game in town. Sorry. Call me old fashioned. I’m also not interested in dying via Lithium Ion fire….remember those hover board fires anyone?

I did a deep dive at NAB ‘23 on Deity…Sorry I don’t see any innovation from Deity …just undercutting price. Hey if that’s your style go for it.  You do you. I’m good

The Audioroot Li-96 & Li-48 NEO is kinda disappointment, I would say. I have seen at least 8 batteries not being charged in Audioroot eSMART Quad Charger (and Dual Charger as well); also display sometimes works - sometimes not. I have been told the same from three different sound mixers as well (Greece, Sweden, USA). The old ones didn't any issue.

IMHO, I would go for Inspired Energy which is the original one; it's more easier to buy it if someone being located in USA rather than in EU land. The Audioroot eSMART Quad Charger is the best one I have found so far.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:43 PM, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

I worry about buying from a company whose business model is mass production rather than service to our industry.

I would love to talk to you more about this idea and find out how we can better provide service to the industry as you put it. - Andrew@DeityMic.com

I switched from Audioroot to RRC, RRC being cheaper and showing a great performance so far (but still less than 50 cycles). Fully compatible with audioroot chargers and distros. RRC is a German company, batteries appearantly are manufactured in Taiwan. They are sold by a Dutch company called TEXIM.

Original audioroot batts behaved great, but now some are at only 60% original capacity after 5 years/300 cycles. Always tried to store them properly over downtimes. As a first replacements I got 2 Audioroot Li-Neos which are also good, but the necessity to shake them for a brief view of their charge I find annoying.

I can't speak directly for the batteries, but my Remote Audio charger says RRC underneath if you peel off the Remote Audio label.  The physical battery design looks very similar to RRC as well, so I'd say that's good circumstantial evidence that the Remote Audio batteries are RRC as well.  Not sure what the relationship with Inspired Energy is ... maybe they are all brands for the Taiwanese OEM?

What techniques are people using to track / estimate charge cycles?  That is information I'd like to track if I could find an effective way of doing it.  The best I have is labelling batteries and keeping track of purchase dates, and then making an estimate based on number of shooting days.  But which batteries get used and how much is pretty approximate beyond that.

I have the Inspired Energy NH2054 14.4v 98WH smart batteries, 2 from 2019 and 1 from 2022. The 2019 versions are at 35 and 40 charge cycles and will still last 1 full production day, going from full 16.2 v down to 13 v before I

swap them out, that's running the 833 and recording to all (ssd,sd1/sd2). If I am using my Wireless SRC 941,  I will get 3/4 day use with the older batteries.

The newest Smart Battery from 2022, 8 charge cycles, will go 2-2-1/2 days running 833 and recording at all three spots and nearly 2 days when running the SRC! I do find they self discharge if left unused for 2 or so weeks. Sometimes happens if I'm doing corporate stuff running 833 on AC.

On 6/19/2023 at 10:43 PM, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

I've burned myself on deity gear, causing a disaster in a shooting. Faulty microdot adapter, my replacement broke right after that one. And when it worked I caught phone interferences from the microphone, unless I used the crappy one that came with the duo rx.

So I only used the Duo RX once, literally.

Long story short, the last thing I would skimp on would be battery and power distro, because that could be an easy way to ruin your whole kit.

Like buying a cheap PSU for a high-end PC.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:46 AM, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

What techniques are people using to track / estimate charge cycles? 

# of charge cycles is part of the SMBus info that is transmitted from the battery to any gear (like SMBus capable recorders, power distros, chargers...)