Zaxcom Nomad - It's Alive.

Jack Norflus

You're right, what I said was not nice directed at you. I understand your sentiment, not being able to incorporate new stuff in to an older and different model of recorder from Zaxcom, I just felt that you were bring a little unrealistic and a little harsh with the use of the phrase "a slap in the face".

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be helpful to know from Zaxcom which features will not be ready on the models that are shipped out first and when they plan on issuing updates. It would be unfortunate for people to receive their recorder expecting certain features but not have access to them. It would also help to know when those features can be expected in an update.

I gather from the conversation last night - the automixer is not working yet. The IFB will not be implemented on the first machines, but should come a month or so later. The USB is not working yet, and is due a month or so after the IFB.

Simon B

Simon pretty much covered it. With the exception of Zaxnet, automix, and the USB recording - Nomad will be a fully functioning mixer recorder. Zaxnet should be available about a month after release and automix and USB recording shortly after that.

Jack

" all going into the latest/greatest/cheapest NEW product. "

that is at least 100% of how it is.

Vehicle manufacturers only recall their products to fix known, mostly safety related issues, they don't upgrade, they introduce newer, better models. New computer's and chips come out several times a year, and computers are not upgraded. When new software is released, older model computers get left behind and newer models are required for all the new "stuff"

When I was a kid, the term was "planned obsolescence"! You should have seen the computers I used then (you can google them: IBM system 360, then came IBM system 370, Burroughs B5500, then B6500, then B6700. Honeywell 600, then GE (bought them) 635... the list goes on!)

Your face was not slapped, -Nobody's face was slapped-- you are just participating in progress,

It would be helpful to know from Zaxcom which features will not be ready on the models that are shipped out first and when they plan on issuing updates. It would be unfortunate for people to receive their recorder expecting certain features but not have access to them. It would also help to know when those features can be expected in an update.

From what i could glean (and remember) most features will be available on all machines at release. The better spec'd models will ship with the linux unit (which manages zaxnet and mp3 recording) and those functions will follow shortly (october?).

Pending features:

~ currently no false start (metadata) procedure - glenn said it was an over sight to be corrected shortly.

~ currently no daisy chaining of recorders - glenn said it would be possible through the serial port and maybe through an iphone app.

~ currently no keyboard support (for meta data entry) - glenn said NOMAD is designed for the bag (primarily) and is NOT a replacement for DEVA, it maybe possible to work keyboard support into the firmware, again the idea of an app was mooted, to allow metadata input with an iphone.

Things i really like:

~ UK servicing for most things at everything audio (elstree).

~ limiter display - a meter bar on the respective track 'pushing down' from 0dbfs (showing how much work it is doing).

~ size / weight / build quality: medium large hardback book, a little bigger than an SQN, recessed XLR i/ps, flat.

~ Firmware update procedure.

~ ERX1 / ZAXNET - simultaneously send a mono audio mix and time code, digitally and wirelessly to a camera/video village with a box costing 500usd. Lots of options in the menu of ERX1 including; audio gain - fixed (for camera) or variable (for monitoring), TC - output level and channel select(L/C/R). Audio delay and TC offset. No cross talk either.

A slight drift off topic:

The question ERX1 raises for me is could a MONO camera link become the defacto standard for getting sound to camera from a mixer-recorder if the link includes TC? Given that most of us (ENG/PSC) are sending audio to a card based video (and increasingly stills) cameras which usually means down loading picture rushes to a laptop on set. On the day, how 'inconvenient' would it be to integrate a download of the multi track audio rushes into this procedure (and therefore reducing the importance of a stereo hop)? how long does it take for an editor to ingest and conform double system media when the camera media has (a decent) audio scratch track and TC on the spare channel or master on TC i/p? From a production POV does the process take long enough for the 60euro/day that we should be charging for the stereo link to be worth paying?

things i wished i asked/tried:

~ more details about the automixer, eg. is it at the input stage and therefore opening/closing channels or is it assigned to a mix bus that you select the record channel for and allowing for manually controlled iso's.

~ should have brought lectro 411a to do a RF scan and check the spillage.

Many thanks to Roger and Glenn.

atb,

Dan Rosen.

~ currently no keyboard support (for meta data entry) - glenn said NOMAD is designed for the bag (primarily) and is NOT a replacement for DEVA, it maybe possible to work keyboard support into the firmware, again the idea of an app was mooted, to allow metadata input with an iphone.

The fact that a keyboard isn't supported isn't a big deal for me. I would not be a fan of carrying around a small keyboard in the bag. This is one of the best features of the 788T - metadata entry from the iphone/ipad. How this would work with the Zax system...? The 2.4ghz signal is being used for the IFB/TC/Remote Control fuction, and to my knowledge, doesn't create a adhoc network for something like the iphone to connect to, which is what is necessary to get such functionality. Would require a re-write of Zaxnet?

~ limiter display - a meter bar on the respective track 'pushing down' from 0dbfs (showing how much work it is doing).

This is great. I like SD's implementation on the output limiters (progressively brighter LED with more limiter activity), but if this shows ACTUAL dB reduction, that's great.

~ size / weight / build quality: medium large hardback book, a little bigger than an SQN, recessed XLR i/ps, flat.

Bigger or smaller than a 788T?

Stick in a USB stick?

~ ERX1 / ZAXNET - simultaneously send a mono audio mix and time code, digitally and wirelessly to a camera/video village with a box costing 500usd.

Timecode and audio is only available with the ERXTCD, which is $600USD, unless Zax has recently revised their pricing. Discounts for orders over 5 units? I think this is still happening.

Lots of options in the menu of ERX1 including; audio gain - fixed (for camera) or variable (for monitoring), TC - output level and channel select(L/C/R). Audio delay and TC offset. No cross talk either.

The gain level on the ERX's I has pretty much sits at full the whole time, for monitoring, unless I crank more gain into the QRX i'm sending from, which distorts the signal on peak dialogue. This is using 24ohm Sony headphones.

Trying to use the ERX to feed timecode and mono mix to an Alexa, I fixed the audio gain at maximum, and got the timecode sorted (this is all I use the units for now). I sent tone from my mixer, added 8dB to this signal in the QRX, then plugged into the camera, and had to add another 24dB (from unity) on the camera to get it to line up at -20db. I know it's only guide track, but where's all my signal gone?

I definitely hear cross-talk of the timecode signal, even when I don't add any gain at the QRX, and even on the ERX1, which is not capable of outputting timecode. Maybe it works better with the IFB100...

Also, range is still an issue out of the bag for me, and this won't change with the NOMAD, as it uses the same 50mW IFB TX as the QRX. For range similar to a Lectro T4 etc, you'll need a 1W amp, and matching antenna, neither of which are an option for in the bag.

~ more details about the automixer, eg. is it at the input stage and therefore opening/closing channels or is it assigned to a mix bus that you select the record channel for and allowing for manually controlled iso's.

According to a recent post from Jack Norflus, the auto-mixer isn't ready yet, and won't ship with the first batch anyway.

That would be interesting, but again, according to Jack, there is little RF spray from the unit. Hopefully better than the yucky stuff coming from the STA100/150 units and all that...

Hi Peter,

you can assign any IP to any fader, or any IPs to any fader, so the simple answer to your question is YES!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

going back back a few posts... Might there be the ability to gang more than a stereo pair, ie 3 channels (or more) for something like DMS recording?

thanks

My replies in tahoma bold.

The fact that a keyboard isn't supported isn't a big deal for me. I would not be a fan of carrying around a small keyboard in the bag. This is one of the best features of the 788T - metadata entry from the iphone/ipad. How this would work with the Zax system...? The 2.4ghz signal is being used for the IFB/TC/Remote Control fuction, and to my knowledge, doesn't create a adhoc network for something like the iphone to connect to, which is what is necessary to get such functionality. Would require a re-write of Zaxnet?

I seem to remember something about WIFI file transfer and using a phone to email so i think nomad and iphone can 'talk'.

This is great. I like SD's implementation on the output limiters (progressively brighter LED with more limiter activity), but if this shows ACTUAL dB reduction, that's great.

I can't confirm that detail.

Bigger or smaller than a 788T?

Deeper, but across the front about the same, maybe a little wider. Depending on what you're doing with you O/Ps i'd say the recessed I/Ps will keep the bag compact.

Stick in a USB stick?

Mirror card and boot.

~ ERX1 / ZAXNET - simultaneously send a mono audio mix and time code, digitally and wirelessly to a camera/video village with a box costing 500usd.

Yes, i got the model code incorrect there. ERXTCD and i think ERX2(?) are the models supporting TC and they are $600.

Timecode and audio is only available with the ERXTCD, which is $600USD, unless Zax has recently revised their pricing. Discounts for orders over 5 units? I think this is still happening.

Lots of options in the menu of ERX1 including; audio gain - fixed (for camera) or variable (for monitoring), TC - output level and channel select(L/C/R). Audio delay and TC offset. No cross talk either.

The gain level on the ERX's I has pretty much sits at full the whole time, for monitoring, unless I crank more gain into the QRX i'm sending from, which distorts the signal on peak dialogue. This is using 24ohm Sony headphones.

The fixed level setting prevents accidental adjustment when using it as link. The headphones i tried yesterday worked fine.

Trying to use the ERX to feed timecode and mono mix to an Alexa, I fixed the audio gain at maximum, and got the timecode sorted (this is all I use the units for now). I sent tone from my mixer, added 8dB to this signal in the QRX, then plugged into the camera, and had to add another 24dB (from unity) on the camera to get it to line up at -20db. I know it's only guide track, but where's all my signal gone?

I definitely hear cross-talk of the timecode signal, even when I don't add any gain at the QRX, and even on the ERX1, which is not capable of outputting timecode. Maybe it works better with the IFB100...

My cross talk test was not scientific but if it was there it was not obvious. I don't know about QRX with ERX1. Can TC bleed during (single carrier) transmission? Im guessing the output from the ERX1/2 is unbalanced so could you be loosing some signal going into ALEXA because the input is balanced (different impedances)?

Also, range is still an issue out of the bag for me, and this won't change with the NOMAD, as it uses the same 50mW IFB TX as the QRX. For range similar to a Lectro T4 etc, you'll need a 1W amp, and matching antenna, neither of which are an option for in the bag.

My camera snakes are 5 meters (minus repairs), if ERX2/TCD gives 10 meters i'm be happy. Would raising the zaxnet antennae (onto the shoulder) help?

According to a recent post from Jack Norflus, the auto-mixer isn't ready yet, and won't ship with the first batch anyway.

Also, is the automixer an all or nothing arrangement or can some channels be auto mixed and others not?

That would be interesting, but again, according to Jack, there is little RF spray from the unit. Hopefully better than the yucky stuff coming from the STA100/150 units and all that...

Yeah i read jack's report, it still would have been good for me to confirm with my own kit.

dr.

Just to follow up on a few items in the past few posts.

Yes the Linux processors that will give Nomad 8 and 12 the ability to record to the USB or to the micro SD card and allow Nomad to record MP3s directly will not be available for initial release.

The automix feature will allow you to choose which channel you want to include - its not all or nothing.

Software updating is super easy and very quick. All you need to do is - from the Zaxcom web site download the appropriate software version and save it on a CF card. Put the card in the mirror drive, power on Nomad while holding down the star button. About a minute and a half later after a re-boot and a restore to factory default you are done.

Regarding using the serial port for an external keyboard or daisy chaining - Nomad has a lot of processing power and there is a lot Nomad can be capable of in the future. Currently all the engineering efforts are being placed in getting Nomad delivered. After that the future possibilities are endless. In that sense Nomad is truly a work in progress.

Jack

Raising the antennas could well show an increase in gain of potentially a few dBs. The short piece of extra cable that one would use to get the antennas up there is unlikely to show a loss of even a dB. If you used the (albeit quite fat) low loss cable then the loss would be negligable.

I have been testing numerous radio mics and antennas over the last year or two with Roger Patel of Everything Audio. We have a regular walk test route, and are able to make unscientific comparisons as to one system against another. The one thing that we have found makes huge fifferences in range particularly, is body absorbtion at the transmitter end. Send someone off with a Tx in their breast pocket. At the point where the splats really become bothersome, have them turn around and face you - hey presto - almost always a good or more useable signal!!!

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

The only problem being that the cable losses to get the antenna up onto your shoulder might be high enough to make it not worthwhile.

whats the method of monitoring a single input(post fade of course)? is it a simple and quick one button push?

Nomad has 14 user selectable headphone matrix - in addition to pre-fader listen. So you can essentially create any monitoring set up you like with any combination of output, returns, or card tracks to either left or right ear or both. Then by pushing in the headphone knob you will be able to cycle through the headphone selects.

And by the way the 2nd headphone out has its own matrix so you can assign a separate feed to it.

"whats the method of monitoring a single input(post fade of course)? is it a simple and quick one button push?"

I have never heard of monitoring a single input POST fade. The fader level is the level that the input is going out to a mix buss or track. I think any solo/input function you would want it to be PRE fade, subject only to the input gain trim.

As Jack points out, Nomad has incredible flexibility for its monitor functions and many, many headphone selects that can be stored.

really? am I alone in wanting to hear a solo track is its being recorded? when using my 552 and tascam dr680(iso's post fade and record mix on 552) i run the headphone from the 680 into the return on the 552 and i'll bounce back and forth between listening to headphone return, prefade and then solo'ing certain tracks on the 680. but to solo a track on 680 you have to press and hold the button for 1.5 seconds, which is kind of a pain.

Given that he Nomad will replace, for many, a 442/744t or similar combination two box configuration, why could the vertical height of the Nomad control surface have been designed to accommodate AT LEAST momentary prefades if not also pan and gain pots? Even if the face plate of the Nomad is a little larger than a 442 or 552, it's still smaller and lighter than a two box mixer and recorder combo. I expect most Nomad owners will put their Nomads in two or three slot bags like the larger Petrol PEGZ bags so an extra half inch could easily be accommodated.

Given that he Nomad will replace, for many, a 442/744t or similar combination two box configuration, why could the vertical height of the Nomad control surface have been designed to accommodate AT LEAST momentary prefades if not also pan and gain pots? Even if the face plate of the Nomad is a little larger than a 442 or 552, it's still smaller and lighter than a two box mixer and recorder combo. I expect most Nomad owners will put their Nomads in two or three slot bags like the larger Petrol PEGZ bags so an extra half inch could easily be accommodated.

The physical size of Nomad has little to do with the lack of knobs on the face. It does affect it but more so it has to do with the function of Nomad. If there is a pan knob and trim knob the flexibility of Nomad would highly limited.

I too was very concerned with the lack of these two knobs. But Glenn specifically designed the auto-trim and pan feature to make up for the lack of hardware. I'll be honest I was a bit skeptical with these features but I can say, after using Nomad for several weeks now, auto-trim and the pan feature both work great. I really don't miss the knobs plus it keeps the face of Nomad simple and uncluttered and if you have fat fingers like I do no really small knobs to mess around with.

Jack

Yes the Linux processors that will give Nomad 8 and 12 the ability to record to the USB or to the micro SD card and allow Nomad to record MP3s directly will not be available for initial release.

Jack

So I've asked this a couple of times to no avail. Will the Nomad 8 and 12 be able to write a BWF to a Memory stick plugged into the USB port?

So I've asked this a couple of times to no avail. Will the Nomad 8 and 12 be able to write a BWF to a Memory stick plugged into the USB port?

The Linux processors are not in my current test Nomad - but the answer is yes. You will be able to choose to record either BWAV Poly or BWAV Mono. Or you can record MP3s at 32k, 64k or 128k. The Nomad 8 or 12 will also give you the option to record to a micro SD card via the internal slot.

Jack

The Nomad faceplate is smaller than the 552. Petrol will have a Nomad specific bag soon. I met with them at IBC. Nomad is exactly 2 inches thick.

Glenn

Isn't there a Sonosax product that ticks most of those boxes? Sounds like Nomad is not for you, Sir ;-))

Kindest regards,

Simon B