recomend slate mic.

Richard Ragon

• 1 month later...

Glad this thread was resurrected.

Have been less than happy with my slate mic for a while, and it's had me thinking (for next Winter's work) I'd mod my AD255 mixer for a better on-board slate mic (that's been modded with a bit of anti-wind / anti-dust Undercover fabric).

In the interim, I could add the SM58 VOG-modded mic to an AD255 fader to have that one-button instant on / instant off feature I've come to love. I'd just leave the 255 fader partially open, pot down the public IFB Aux, and turn that 8th input on the 788 on just for slating purposes to keep the editors happier so I won't ever need to tell them to FO.

Mr. Sharman reminds me that the DT250 is modular. Is there a left ear module one could switch out that has a boom mic and proper headset/mic cable? Off to Google it. A headset boom mic would work, but I'd have to engage a fader rather than a spring-mounted button.

Hmmm.

More coffee.

-- Jan

My RE50 is on the Solice fader 8 for the PL, and my slate button on the Solice serves as the public line and track ID mic.

My gear is enclosed in a rack, so wind noise is not really an issue, and the Solice mic sounds pretty good.

My boom guys and I like to chat sometimes, so it's nice to be able to leave the PL open. And a headset mic requires wearing the headphones all the time, which I hate. Speaker, please. Also, when I used to utility for mixers with boom mics, and they were out of the chair, it was a pain to lean into the little mic to answer a question for the boom operator.

Robert