Bang for the buck bag power?

Chase Yeremian

Hey all,

My nomad 8 will be here monday and I am trying to put together a good bag powering system. What I have so far is this:

Remote Audio BDSv4U

2x IDX NP-L7s 68w

IDX JL-2Plus 2ch multi format charger

NP-1 cup

misc power cables from BDS

I like this setup, but I am wondering if anyone is using different setup's.

This setup is about $1100. I think it's kind of silly the charger costs about as much as 2 of the batteries, has anyone found more economical charging options for these?

Are there more efficient weight/power ratio batteries out there than these?

I will eventually be running at minimum the nomad 8, 2 QRX100's, probably a comtek 216 tx with bat elim, then whatever else is neccessary.

Any input is appreciated.

-Chase

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.batteries4broadcast.com

I use the AM-4060 $235.00 (90wh) and the charger- TC-C1 $115 (combo is $325, $25 savings) lasts a couple full days (302, CS3e, 2 x 411's & Zax Stereoline)

The website says the NP-1 style battery (60wh, $115 each) can be charged with the TC-C1

So- 2 NP-1's and a charger would cost you $345.

Mine has been rock solid, no issues whatsoever.

Depends on how lo-fi you want to go. I use hard-case Li-Poly battery packs (designed for RC helicopters) as my bag power source, fed through a bds3. The batteries cost around $50-100 each ( good quality 5ah, you can get higher capacity ones/cheaper ones) and a good quality charger for them is about $40 on eBay. This year I'm going to be swapping them out for hardier LifePo4 battery packs.

Stepping up from there, check out GlobalMediaPro and SWIT brand batteries and chargers.

I use Switronix NP1 Batteries (about $179 each) and I have several Switronix single batttery chargers ($45).

The batteries have been incredible for me so far. The chargers take a while, but the price cannot be beat.

I bought the batteries from ProSound in New York, but they didn;t have the chargers, so I got those from B&H.

Hi Chase

If you're wanting to power a 788 plus additional bits I wouldn't recommend getting anything with less Ah than lion NP1 setup. On doco shoots where I'm only running a few Rx and zaxcom linkI can make do with one NP1 for the lot, and cycle thru three batteries over a 10 hour day.

On shoots where I have more than four Rx (plus other Tx) running I use two NP1s, one for the 788 (with safety batt on the back so I can swap batteries while recording) and one for the Rx, Zaxcom and IFBs. Five NP1s see me thru a long day.

I have Swit batteries and charger but have recently bought three Globalmediapro batteries and one of their chargers. Pretty happy with the Globals; much cheaper than the Swits.

I like the NP1 form factor but am interested in the higher capacity of the V-lock format. Not sure how I'd fit it in the bag?

Batteries are not a particularly sexy equipment purchase but when they start going wrong everything else stops working.

Something I found interesting were these LiFePO4 batteries here: http://www.batteryspace.com/Customize-LiFePO4-26650-Battery-12.8V-9.9Ah-126.72Wh-7A-rate-with-PCB-1.aspx

12.8v, 9.9 Ah (126 Wh) LiFePO4 battery. Its only 180 bucks, has a huge capacity and a big cycle life. I'm thinking about giving some of these a go. The charger they sell for it is only 22 bucks...

This is a 30Amp rate, they also have a 7Amp rate. I'm guessing I would never draw more than 7 amps, so I would probably go with that. (or do i have the purpose of their Amp rating wrong?)

Something I found interesting were these LiFePO4 batteries here: http://www.batterysp...with-PCB-1.aspx

12.8v, 9.9 Ah (126 Wh) LiFePO4 battery. Its only 180 bucks, has a huge capacity and a big cycle life. I'm thinking about giving some of these a go. The charger they sell for it is only 22 bucks...

This is a 30Amp rate, they also have a 7Amp rate. I'm guessing I would never draw more than 7 amps, so I would probably go with that. (or do i have the purpose of their Amp rating wrong?)

How do you fit that in your bag? It's nearly 30cm long? Also, I'm not expert on the charge and discharge routines of Lithium batteries, but this unit has no in-built balancing function, and no ability to connect it to an external one.

How do you fit that in your bag? It's nearly 30cm long? Also, I'm not expert on the charge and discharge routines of Lithium batteries, but this unit has no in-built balancing function, and no ability to connect it to an external one.

It would fit perfectly inside the bottom of my bag actually. I did do a bit of reading up on the Balancing function you were describing though. I found out the same company sells Balancing circuits for custom batteries. I suppose if you are a DIY'er you could make a LiFePO4 pack that's 12.8v 16A with cell balancing for about 100 dollars.

Guess i'll have to do a bit more research before I undertake something like that.

you can keep lifepo4 batts fully charged during storage and no need to discharge or "cycle" ever. if your not drawing high amps balancing the packs become less of an issue. Lifepo4 tech is awesome, I want some for my electric skateboard but they are $$$$$!

It would fit perfectly inside the bottom of my bag actually. I did do a bit of reading up on the Balancing function you were describing though. I found out the same company sells Balancing circuits for custom batteries. I suppose if you are a DIY'er you could make a LiFePO4 pack that's 12.8v 16A with cell balancing for about 100 dollars.

Guess i'll have to do a bit more research before I undertake something like that.

Throw this puppy in a backpack and run a power line to your bag. no more swapping Np1's and its only 4lbs.

http://www.batteryspace.com/Customize-LiFePO4-40160S-Battery-12.8V-16Ah-204.8Wh-16A-rate-with-PCM.aspx

Have not received the Nomad yet. Waiting and waiting....

Outputs are regulated at 12V as standard,

SO I dont see why the nomad would not work....

The distro uses 2 batteries.

Also, Rado, the L type sony batteries are 7.2v (11.8 or so fully charged iirc) and the Nomad likes 12v DC, Has this been any kind of issue for you? How low can the voltage drop before it powers off?

you can keep lifepo4 batts fully charged during storage and no need to discharge or "cycle" ever. if your not drawing high amps balancing the packs become less of an issue. Lifepo4 tech is awesome, I want some for my electric skateboard but they are $$$$$!

I was aware of this before you mentioned it, which is why I found the shorai batteries that Jeff W played around with for a while to be really interesting. They are designed to deliver high amps (albeit for a short time - unlike an RC motor) and are recharged without balancing (via the bike or cars alternator). The batteries did have a balancing port on them though, so I doubt there would have been an internal balancer...

Throw this puppy in a backpack and run a power line to your bag. no more swapping Np1's and its only 4lbs.

http://www.batterysp...e-with-PCM.aspx

I think I'll actually make it into a backpack and pretend im a ghostbuster haha!

But really this LiFePO4 stuff seems incredible and quite cheap for its power/size/weight.

I also just found this http://www.batteryspace.com/customizelifepo426650battery128v68ah8704wh20aratepcmwithseparatechargeanddischargeterminals.aspx

12.8v, 84wh, 16A. with a balancing circuit built in. Charger again is only 22 bucks.

I've had one of these cheap NP1 chargers for about 9 months now and it's been fine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Charger-Sony-BETA-CAM-KV-5300-SL-2000-NP-1-/330655575637?pt=UK_Camera_Chargers_Docks&hash=item4cfc9bae55#ht_3078wt_1159

I made my BDS myself by getting a similar sized box to the remote audio one and wiring all the connectors in parallel

I use Hawkwood Sony L type cups/distro combo. Sony L-types are cheap and charger is $20. Get a charger that shuts down when the battery is charged. Lenmar make one like that.

DV-SQN4S_Large.jpg

That looks really cool. Looks like a goo solution for a couple 7800mah L-series batteries to power a 702 and 302. Ill contact polecamusa.com and see what they can do for me.

Also, any chance you could post a link to that Lenmar battery charger you were referring to? I have gone though a couple of cheap L-series chargers and I want something better made. Lenmar usually makes good stuff from my past experience. Might it be this one by chance: LINK

If you can get the Sony L dual charger great. That what I upgraded to.

Any Lenmar switches off when the battery is full.

THis is the one I use to use...

http://www.amazon.co...5983703&sr=1-10

That looks really cool. Looks like a goo solution for a couple 7800mah L-series batteries to power a 702 and 302. Ill contact polecamusa.com and see what they can do for me.

Also, any chance you could post a link to that Lenmar battery charger you were referring to? I have gone though a couple of cheap L-series chargers and I want something better made. Lenmar usually makes good stuff from my past experience. Might it be this one by chance: LINK