Timecode Buddy

Sebastian

Hi guys

I came across the new timecode buddy system which is due for release shortly. Thought I'd bring it to the forums attention for discussion.

Amongst other applications, it looks like a brilliant add-on for the SD 552. It will also interface with an ipad/ iphone with a free iOS app which is a pretty cool addition!

What I'm really thrilled about it the fact that the master unit has a backlit display screen. Something that's been lacking in other small time code units.

If it delivers all the web site promises, I think it will become a rather popular bit of kit to own.

http://timecodebuddy.com/

Check it out!

post-1674-0-24088600-1325976040.jpg

post-1674-0-89618800-1325976249.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timecode Buddy system looks really good. They have put a lot of thought into the whole system of transceivers and multiple ways to view, display and utilize the master timecode. I'm afraid it is going to be a very expensive, but truly elegant, solution, possibly out of reach for most of us budget-wise. It certainly would be useful for multiple cameras, for script person to log timecode and so forth, and the Timecode Slate app would be useful for those shoots that don't have a proper TC slate.

Hi Guys, I’d just like to introduce myself to the group. I’m a UK based Sound Mixer, and out of working needs I came up with the concept of the Timecode Buddy System. It all started when I purchased my 552 mixer. I wanted to be able to record timecoded backup audio for all shoots as standard. I got frustrated with having to swap between a lockit box for multi cam TOD shoots, my single channel RF link for REC RUN shoots and hire a DigiSlate for DSLR/music shoots. My RF link was useless when in proximity with other recordists using similar freq links , I needed a way of ‘buffering’ my RF link so that RF hits didn’t upset my 552, I wanted a display to check incoming T/C and FPS, be able to generate my own accurate timecode and wirelessly steam accurate TOD or REC RUN timecode to an iPhone or iPad to use as an instant slate by anyone on set, as additional 'production' cameras always seemed to turn up from nowhere to cross shoot the action! The idea of the Buddy System was born!

I’m thrilled that you like the concept for the system, please feel free to post any questions on JWSoundgroup, FB or via our website - I’d love to give you more details and answer any questions that you may have as we approach launch for the products. We are currently in the process of CE and FCC testing. As Tim rightly said, we're also launching officially to the US at NAB in April - very exciting indeed! We'll be near registration in Pro Audio, not far from Sound Devices. Look forward to meeting you all in person if you're attending. More updates soon. All the best.

Paul,

Looks great but I have one suggestion that would make it better. Audio. Being able to also have the audio going to the App would be wicked. Everyone would have there own IFB. Plus being able to send a guide track to camera.

awesomeness agreed.

If it would increase price it could be an option / add on, or a version with audio capability, so as not to price-out people who just want TC

Hi Guys, I’d just like to introduce myself to the group. I’m a UK based Sound Mixer, and out of working needs I came up with the concept of the Timecode Buddy System. It all started when I purchased my 552 mixer. I wanted to be able to record timecoded backup audio for all shoots as standard. I got frustrated with having to swap between a lockit box for multi cam TOD shoots, my single channel RF link for REC RUN shoots and hire a DigiSlate for DSLR/music shoots. My RF link was useless when in proximity with other recordists using similar freq links , I needed a way of ‘buffering’ my RF link so that RF hits didn’t upset my 552, I wanted a display to check incoming T/C and FPS, be able to generate my own accurate timecode and wirelessly steam accurate TOD or REC RUN timecode to an iPhone or iPad to use as an instant slate by anyone on set, as additional 'production' cameras always seemed to turn up from nowhere to cross shoot the action! The idea of the Buddy System was born!

I’m thrilled that you like the concept for the system, please feel free to post any questions on JWSoundgroup, FB or via our website - I’d love to give you more details and answer any questions that you may have as we approach launch for the products. We are currently in the process of CE and FCC testing. As Tim rightly said, we're also launching officially to the US at NAB in April - very exciting indeed! We'll be near registration in Pro Audio, not far from Sound Devices. Look forward to meeting you all in person if you're attending. More updates soon. All the best.

Hi Paul,

As bandwidth issues become more prevalent, I'd be interested to know in what frequency range they'll operate. Thanks in advance,

~tom taylor

" bandwidth issues become more prevalent, "

at the CES, the LVCC was a hotbed of activity on all the available (and more?) spectrum with thousands of devices, including a lot of cutting edge, and bleeding edge stuff, all humming along together quite well...

It did get me thinking (I'll mention this in a more appropriate thread, too) that our wireless mic's are not very efficient users of bandwidth, and that is another reason we don't get the "respect" we think they deserve.

We may need to adapt or perish!

Paul,

Looks great but I have one suggestion that would make it better. Audio. Being able to also have the audio going to the App would be wicked. Everyone would have there own IFB. Plus being able to send a guide track to camera.

A great idea, and one that should be totally feasible to implement - thank you! We have a spare pin on the 5 pin lemo socket of the Buddy:master that could be used as an Audio I/P. This audio feed would come from either the camera headphone output or an output from your sound mixer. We have spare ADC, uP and FPGA capacity to encode this as a 64kps mp3 stream. This could be streamed out on the WiFi alongside the SMPTE timecode data packets. The PA/Director would be able to listen to the cue audio from the headphone socket of their iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch at the same time as logging timecodes. Leave that idea with the team to digest all implications and I'll get back to you with an update on this concept.

• 4 weeks later...