Nomad when?

cinetj

I can see the problem here. You guys are really debating a totally different issue. This has nothing to do with being impatient and just wanting a shiny new product right away like bunch of bratty kids. It's about MISINFORMATION. I could wait another year for the Nomad and be totally content. My 788t is great and has suited me fine for years. On the other hand, if retailers are offering the product, taking payment and deposits and saying they will ship in certain timeframe, then changing it, then changing it again, and again, and again...

That's wrong no matter which way you look it. It has nothing to do with being impatient. It has to do with expecting a reasonable level of communication as a customer.

In fact, when someone asks "when will it ship", just say "I don't know". Then the proper expectation has been set. See, it's that simple.

I'm one of those customers you speak of in the abstract. I guess I have special powers that allow me to understand that Zaxcom and its dealers got deluged with orders beyond what anyone anticipated. The reason they did: Zaxcom hit the nail square on the head with this product and the demand is overwhelming. Sure, I'm anxious to get my Nomad, but my "special powers" allow me to understand the situation.

My point is, if you want a Nomad, understand the circumstances, suck it up, and wait. If you are angry at Zaxcom for producing a high demand device, buy something else. The competition has excellent products, too.

These issues exist with many new products with high initial demand, not just with this one as has been claimed in this thread. Anyone who relies on a new, yet to be delivered product, for their key work, is setting themselves up for problems. Go with what you know.

I realize that since I have one on order, I'm part of the delivery issue. If you bought one, you are too. The difference is, I accept my complicity in this.

My rant was not aimed specifically at you, just my reaction to various things I've read here -- but apparently, Carly Simon was right.

Enough!

Please -- Enjoy your Nomad.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can not tell me that you have NEVER had another situation like this before? I have had this type of situation from MANY different retail shops - not just in our sound community. Take the iPhone for example. The iPhone 3G (2nd version) I had to wait 2 months to get, and had to wait 5 hours in a line just to preorder it. That was before they started dialing in pricing....and this is APPLE with a consumer device!!!

Also, the dealers that tell you they do not know are the ones at fault. They need to contact the company, and would be able to get a better time frame. Don't shoot the dealer - this time, SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

I can see the problem here. You guys are really debating a totally different issue. This has nothing to do with being impatient and just wanting a shiny new product right away like bunch of bratty kids. It's about MISINFORMATION. I could wait another year for the Nomad and be totally content. My 788t is great and has suited me fine for years. On the other hand, if retailers are offering the product, taking payment and deposits and saying they will ship in certain timeframe, then changing it, then changing it again, and again, and again...

That's wrong no matter which way you look it. It has nothing to do with being impatient. It has to do with expecting a reasonable level of communication as a customer.

In fact, when someone asks "when will it ship", just say "I don't know". Then the proper expectation has been set. See, it's that simple.

Tom you are correct. I've run into bad situations with companies before. In fact, probably not coincidently with Apple as you mentioned. Not very often, but every once in a while and fortunately never in the location sound biz. I've only been at it for 6 years now though. That being said, it still doesn't make it right. I have clocked quite a few hours in the customer service industry, 16 years as a bartender, and of course our industry is customer service as well, so I'm extremely forgiving when it comes things going wrong, to a fault usually. I don't like to complain, but this was just such a combination of errors that it surprised me no one had taken responsibility for it.

Regarding the dealer vs manufacturer misinformation- You could be right. I was told the same story by multiple people and vendors though, so I didn't have any reason to doubt them. They stated the info came directly from Zaxcom, even quoting the name of the person at Zaxcom they were talking to. It's a he said, she said situation at this point so who knows. I believe that was the whole point of this thread in the first place. It's just the customer that looses in the end.

You can not tell me that you have NEVER had another situation like this before? I have had this type of situation from MANY different retail shops - not just in our sound community. Take the iPhone for example. The iPhone 3G (2nd version) I had to wait 2 months to get, and had to wait 5 hours in a line just to preorder it. That was before they started dialing in pricing....and this is APPLE with a consumer device!!!

Also, the dealers that tell you they do not know are the ones at fault. They need to contact the company, and would be able to get a better time frame. Don't shoot the dealer - this time, SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

I've talked to more than one major location sound dealer and none has made absolute promises as to when the units will ship or when the supply line will fill. Nor can they, or Zaxcom, since demand has skyrocketed following the Nomad's release. They can guess, but that's all they can do. Zaxcom tried to make some general predictions early on, but that was before the landslide of orders. The high demand, by the way, is world-wide.

This thread is getting tedious -- listening to the same misinformed comments and whines over and over.

This is consistent with how Zaxcom has fluffed up pre release hype about a product and then sent beta testing machines long after their stated released date.

I am in complete admiration of their engineering, ideas, and forward looking developments, but their business model leaves a lot to be desired.

I've never seen this done by SD, Ambient, Denecke, K-Teck, Tascam, Fostex, Yamaha, Lectrosonics, or anyone else selling to the likes of us.

Or then again, maybe I'm not paying attention.

Scott Harber

Jason

At this time I'm not totally sure what is your point or who your issue is with. Am I missing something here but it appears that you post something and two posts later change your point and blame. It started with Zaxcom then shifted to Coffey - even though you wrote that you ordered your Nomad from Pro Sound. So what does Coffey have to do with supplying you delivery information if your order was with Pro Sound?

You also wrote:

"the amount of people that had bad experiences, not just because they didn't get a Nomad right away is still shocking"

Do you care to qualify this statement? who are all these people and what are their bad experiences?

I paid my Nomad after I received it, and I waited for 6 months for it. I wouldn't have placed a deposit. I don't see why a dealer would ask for a deposit, since they also pay Zaxcom when they get the units, not before. You wouldn't need a dealer then would you? You could order directly from Zaxcom and pay them instantly. maybe the dealers are afraid people place orders and then chicken out. Well, in the case of Nomad, they wouldn't need to worry about selling the product to someone else. So I can understand why people may get upset, though it's not really Zaxcom's fault.

Also, I remember several wise people posting on this forum way before the Nomad was up for order that these things usually get delayed, especially with a small company like Zaxcom, and they were right.

Actually, I haven't blamed Coffey for anything. If you go back and review the posts, they only state facts about information that was given,. and that information pointed at Zaxcom being the reason for delay. Nothing has changed along the way except for other people suggesting that it is more likely that Coffey is at blame, not Zaxcom. Again, no way to confirm on my end. So yes you did miss something and the original statement is valid.

I happen to be in NY when Coffey emailed saying the wait would now be 4 months. I walked in to Pro Sound and Richard Topham took care of me right away. Now i have a Nomad. Still doesn't change the fact that the process sucked.

Jason

At this time I'm not totally sure what is your point or who your issue is with. Am I missing something here but it appears that you post something and two posts later change your point and blame. It started with Zaxcom then shifted to Coffey - even though you wrote that you ordered your Nomad from Pro Sound. So what does Coffey have to do with supplying you delivery information if your order was with Pro Sound?

You also wrote:

"the amount of people that had bad experiences, not just because they didn't get a Nomad right away is still shocking"

Do you care to qualify this statement? who are all these people and what are their bad experiences?

Hi Jason,

I imagine you know that the sales staff at Trew Audio or Coffey Sound will, to the best of their knowledge, always and only give correct information, much of which can only be gotten from the manufactures. We are in direct contact with the major manufactures we represent several times every day. I believe the same goes for most other dealers in this business as well.

Typically a deposit on preproduction and backlogged items is to hold a customer's place in line in the order it was taken. More often than not people move up in line because there will always be someone who declines for one reason or another when their order is available, at which time it's offered to the next in line, etc. It has taken more time than estimated to fill Nomad orders because production was stopped for one reason or another (we were told parts). The first batch we received had to be returned for a hardware change and for a program change (for some, this might be considered a recall).

This situation is exactly why I lobby against early promotion, which always turns out to be at the customer's expense. I know how hard it is to hold back, but what Murphy said, "Everything takes longer than you think it will", is the law. I really believe that the comparisons of me to Astrodomes are overstated, but over a year ago when I was asked when to expect delivery of the Nomad, while others were saying "end of April, 2011", I was saying "February, 2012". Somebody owes me a dollar.

The time to promote the Nomad was not a year ago, but it is now. Because even though it's not finished (the beauty of microprocessor-based devices is that they're never finished), it is finally ready.

coffey are very cool people.

This is what I got in the mail today...

"Coffey Sound: Your order #XXXX has been completed.

Estimated delivery helpIcon.gif

Feb 10, 2012 by 3:00 PM

"

Thank you Coffey

Maybe things have improved real quick. Otherwise you're just lucky. I've received this message from Coffey Sound three days ago: "We are still waiting for them to send our first shipment. They had been waiting on a part which they got last week, but then the main installation tech was out and they haven't been able to confirm a shipping date yet. We hope to have them in stock in the next two weeks based on this information, but they have not confirmed any shipments yet."

It's weird how many people prompted to defend Zaxcom as if this thread was created as a defamatory action. For those who are not part of the circle it is really difficult to understand how a delay of six months of delivery is just a proof of excellence having nothing to do with customer service. As Jason pointed out the problem is not even waiting six months but not knowing at all how long of a wait. MISINFORMATION as he stated.

If similars problems have happened before with other companies they were stil treated like problems, exceptions. If you keep behaving like that you contribute to turn these exceptions into the rule.

Maybe things have improved real quick. Otherwise you're just lucky. I've received this message from Coffey Sound three days ago: "We are still waiting for them to send our first shipment. They had been waiting on a part which they got last week, but then the main installation tech was out and they haven't been able to confirm a shipping date yet. We hope to have them in stock in the next two weeks based on this information, but they have not confirmed any shipments yet."

It's weird how many people prompted to defend Zaxcom as if this thread was created as a defamatory action. For those who are not part of the circle it is really difficult to understand how a delay of six months of delivery is just a proof of excellence having nothing to do with customer service. As Jason pointed out the problem is not even waiting six months but not knowing at all how long of a wait. MISINFORMATION as he stated.

If similars problems have happened before with other companies they were stil treated like problems, exceptions. If you keep behaving like that you contribute to turn these exceptions into the rule.

My guess is that last fall when Zaxcom fired up their Acme Primo-Plus crystal ball to predict just how many orders they'd immediately get or what unknown supplier delays they'd incur, the darn thing just wasn't working properly -- probably a firmware issue.

I think everyone should be berating Acme. Of course, they may have a similar story.

Totally understand Glen. I agree.

J

Hi Jason,

I imagine you know that the sales staff at Trew Audio or Coffey Sound will, to the best of their knowledge, always and only give correct information, much of which can only be gotten from the manufactures. We are in direct contact with the major manufactures we represent several times every day. I believe the same goes for most other dealers in this business as well.

Typically a deposit on preproduction and backlogged items is to hold a customer's place in line in the order it was taken. More often than not people move up in line because there will always be someone who declines for one reason or another when their order is available, at which time it's offered to the next in line, etc. It has taken more time than estimated to fill Nomad orders because production was stopped for one reason or another (we were told parts). The first batch we received had to be returned for a hardware change and for a program change (for some, this might be considered a recall).

This situation is exactly why I lobby against early promotion, which always turns out to be at the customer's expense. I know how hard it is to hold back, but what Murphy said, "Everything takes longer than you think it will", is the law. I really believe that the comparisons of me to Astrodomes are overstated, but over a year ago when I was asked when to expect delivery of the Nomad, while others were saying "end of April, 2011", I was saying "February", 2012. Somebody owes me a dollar.

The time to promote the Nomad was not a year ago, but now. Because even though it's not finished (the beauty of microprocessor-based devices is that they're never finished), it is finally ready.

Exactly my point in commenting in the first place. Never thought it would be as big a deal as this, but still warranted.

Geeze... all these threads about the Nomad now... I'm getting so dizzy I can't wait for NAB to maybe bring some new more simple things to deal with in the ring... good lord, ''when will it be in store'', ''how to...'', '' I got this issue'', etc... totally discouraging.

I'll be waiting til everything settles down for a moment I guess...

... all these threads about the Nomad now... I'm getting so dizzy I can't wait for NAB to maybe bring some new more simple things to deal with in the ring... good lord, ''when will it be in store'', ''how to...'', '' I got this issue'', etc... totally discouraging.

I'll be waiting til everything settles down for a moment I guess...

It's actually quite similar to when Panasonic released the AF100 large imager video camera. Reading the pre-release threads on that one was both humorous and sad at the same time.

Prior to release, every time a beta tester would mention something favorable about the camera there would be a flurry of more people announcing they were pre-ordering. Then, if an advance user mentioned some possible quirk or downside, invariably someone would immediately say they were canceling their order. Knee-jerk reactions were rampant. Also, there was the same "When did you get yours? Mine has been ordered since... yada... yada... yada." "Why hasn't mine come yet?" "What's with Panasonic's distribution -- why can't they tell me when mine will ship?!"

Deja vu.