A great old flamenco recording using two fishers

Jesse Watts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is truly beautiful. I love seeing the microphones interact with the with the performers. It becomes part of the singing and dancing,

quite organic as stated above. This micing technique is a lost art form in its self, that was ahead of its time.

I really love flamenco music and dance and really enjoyed this old film. I use to do live sound reinforcement for a flamenco dancer and her band. This film reminded me of the problem I use to have with getting enough level of the dancer’s percussive feet in the mix. Although the film was great those boom mics are just not enough to pick out the dancer’s feet. With the band I was working with I tried PZMs and other microphones to mic the stage but was never satisfied. Then it occurred to me that a wireless lav could solve this problem. The dancer was very resistant at first but I finally got her to wear a tx and run a lav down to her shoes. The wire would get buried underneath her stockings and I would attach the lav to one of her shoes. What a huge difference it made. Finally I could clearly hear the percussive attack of her feet and had more than enough level in the mix. I could also finally use the EQ to get the right tone for her feet instead of just EQing to avoid feedback. She was very hesitant at first to use the wireless lav but now loves it and won’t perform without it.

Andy

I really love flamenco music and dance and really enjoyed this old film. I use to do live sound reinforcement for a flamenco dancer and her band. This film reminded me of the problem I use to have with getting enough level of the dancer’s percussive feet in the mix. Although the film was great those boom mics are just not enough to pick out the dancer’s feet. With the band I was working with I tried PZMs and other microphones to mic the stage but was never satisfied. Then it occurred to me that a wireless lav could solve this problem. The dancer was very resistant at first but I finally got her to wear a tx and run a lav down to her shoes. The wire would get buried underneath her stockings and I would attach the lav to one of her shoes. What a huge difference it made. Finally I could clearly hear the percussive attack of her feet and had more than enough level in the mix. I could also finally use the EQ to get the right tone for her feet instead of just EQing to avoid feedback. She was very hesitant at first to use the wireless lav but now loves it and won’t perform without it.

Andy

Usually here (in Spain), the regular captation for live events are a piezoelectric pickups on the stage, but the stage isn't a conventional stage, is a stage of multi layer wood, separated from the floor for get a resonance (Like a technical floor but bigger).

For example this pickups http://www.kksound.c...usepickups.html

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...