Zaxcom Camera Link

Jack Norflus

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, I don't see that block separation disclaimer from Zax in any of the CL literature.   Can you point me to it?  

Zack, No IFB antenna connected. No IFB enabled.  

I still get light spray with the CL on my shoulder, but it's better, if not super inconvenient. 

Anyone want to trade a pair of 25 411/SM systems for BLK 21 or 19 systems?  

A transmitting antenna in close proximity to a receiving antenna will desensitize it to some degree.  The amount the receiving signal is affected depends upon how close the antennas are physically, the separation between their respective frequencies, and the transmitter's output power.

Wireless 101, or maybe that's 201.

The one bock separation is a SOP. Even if you had a Lectro TX vs having the CL - you would still want the separation. This is something that your dealer should have spoken to you about when ordering.
I'd have to disagree with this statement. I used to use Lectro UCR411a/24 for talent Rx in the bag with Zaxcom TRX900AA/STA150 in block 25. Horrible spray all over my B24 talent Rx. Now I use 2 x block 24 Lectro UM400a & SRb as my hop system, no spray at all over my B24 talent Rx and no other issues to speak of.

Yes, I understand Jack's point regarding block separation between Talent Rx & link Tx, but in my experience you can get away with it using an all Lectro setup vs a Lectro/Zaxcom combo in the bag.

However, I can't speak of the Zax CL, only of the TRX900AA/STA150 combo.

Again, this has been my personal experience, and it may differ for others...

" that block separation disclaimer from Zax in any of the CL literature. "

frequency separation has been around for a really long time,  it is basic radio 101.  I learned about receiver desensitizing  when studying for my Novice HAM license a really long time ago....

and it has been discussed here for all brands of wireless systems.

warning: may require reading some physics and RF books and theory to fully understand.  it isn't a brand name thing, though

Edited by studiomprd

Yes, I understand Jack's point regarding block separation between Talent Rx & link Tx, but in my experience you can get away with it using an all Lectro setup vs a Lectro/Zaxcom combo in the bag.However, I can't speak of the Zax CL, only of the TRX900AA/STA150 combo.Again, this has been my personal experience, and it may differ for others...

I understand Jack's point as well. l'm aware of the recommendation to keep a block separation from zaxcom digital camera hops and lectrosonics, have been since I bought a 900/STA100 years ago. Unfortunately My rig isn't always set that way, jobs change, needs change, receivers change. Sometimes I use 25, sometimes I don't. The CL is a better unit, but still behaves similar in certain scenarios to the STA100 in my experience regarding RF spray from the CL into 411s. My hope, and more to my point, was the CL would offer similar results Jason got by switching/using lectro hops. I'm simply sharing my results and for me, the CL is an improvement and more capable unit. But I agree with Jason regarding adjacent blocks in a bag (Lectro with lectro will more likely play well in a bag rather than zax and lectro). Maybe Zaxcom should put a block separation recommendation in the CL literature so those of us who don't take classes, like sound 101/201/303/456, won't look like a holes when we occasionally use their product "incorrectly". Cheers!

As long as the separation of 1 block from Zaxcom link to bag receiver is maintained it will always play well with Lectro receivers. There is no significant RF energy present in the lectro receiver pass band from our transmitter. Also no intermodulation products will be generated as the single link transmitter can not have that issue.

When asked we and our dealers always recommend 1 block of separation. 

Glenn

The block separation is strongly recommended for ANY wireless system due to the desensitizing reasons mentioned. 

The range of receivers will be affected by the transmitter due to the three elements I mentioned earlier:  physical proximity, frequency proximity and transmitter power. 

My Lectrosonics range improved considerably when I went from having transmitters and receivers on the same block living in a bag together to maintaining a multi-block separation.

As long as the separation of 1 block from Zaxcom link to bag receiver is maintained it will always play well with Lectro receivers. There is no significant RF energy present in the lectro receiver pass band from our transmitter. Also no intermodulation products will be generated as the single link transmitter can not have that issue.

When asked we and our dealers always recommend 1 block of separation.

Glenn

It was in fact one of your dealers that sold me my Zaxcom link knowing full well what my talent blocks were on....

" Maybe Zaxcom should put a block separation recommendation in the CL literature so those of us who don't take classes, like sound 101/201/303/456, won't look like a holes when we occasionally use their product "incorrectly". "

maybe people who think they are worth their rates should take those classes, and actually be worth them!

" It was in fact one of your dealers that sold me my Zaxcom link knowing full well what my talent blocks were on.... "

there is a big "it depends" to go with that...

did you discuss your block choice with them, did you actually ask their advice,  or just "place an order"??

The block separation is strongly recommended for ANY wireless system due to the desensitizing reasons mentioned. 

The range of receivers will be affected by the transmitter due to the three elements I mentioned earlier:  physical proximity, frequency proximity and transmitter power. 

My Lectrosonics range improved considerably when I went from having transmitters and receivers on the same block living in a bag together to maintaining a multi-block separation.

when I was buying my first micplexer,  the recommendation was 2 blocks of separation.  shortly after,  it was changed to 3 blocks….

ao

" Maybe Zaxcom should put a block separation recommendation in the CL literature so those of us who don't take classes, like sound 101/201/303/456, won't look like a holes when we occasionally use their product "incorrectly". "

maybe people who think they are worth their rates should take those classes, and actually be worth them!

" It was in fact one of your dealers that sold me my Zaxcom link knowing full well what my talent blocks were on.... "

there is a big "it depends" to go with that...

did you discuss your block choice with them, did you actually ask their advice,  or just "place an order"??

Maybe I was being sarcastic

NEWSFLASH:  It's up to us to know our profession and that includes the technical aspects of it. 

This is sounding like the second verse of, "If I just buy the right gear, I'll be a professional."

Old news to me