Can a 5 pin Lectro lav be rewired for Sennheiser locking 3.5mm?

Danny K

Sure, easy to rewire. Open the 5 pin, the wire that connects to pin 3 gets connected to the tip of the 3.5mm TRS, the other two wires on the 5 pin go to the sleeve (ground) of the 3.5mm TRS. Have fun. P.S. the tip input connection is for mic level signals & the ring is for line level. All connections are unbalanced. 

On 2/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, Danny K said:

Eric, I really appreciate your help.

You clearly understood what I was asking even though I was not entirely clear.

Thank you very much! (fyi, I graduated from Coral Springs High School in 1988!)

Jason and Trey, consider acting mature next time.

My apologies.

This used to be a forum of professionals. A place where a noob could ask a simple question and get a simple answer. Instead, noobs ask simple questions and then bristle at the tone of the response, instead of realizing the question they asked was answered succinctly and accurately.

If you want to know how to wire a specific lav to a specific connector, ask.

Next question - "How long is a string?"

8 hours ago, jason porter said:

Next question - "How long is a string?"

and here I always thought that "How Long" was the name of the man who owns the local Chinese restaurant.

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

Well, when Senator was still here the tone really was different - especially in response to noobie questions, but not limited to them. Not everyone would agree that it was better then...

but I certainly miss him around here

Say what you want about Senator but he did not suffer fools gladly. 

20 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

Say what you want about Senator but he did not suffer fools gladly. 

I certainly would not disagree with that. 
But if you did ask a stupid question, he‘d definitely let you know. And you‘d have learned something in the process - if you paid attention. 

10 hours ago, Constantin said:

Well, when Senator was still here the tone really was different - especially in response to noobie questions, but not limited to them. Not everyone would agree that it was better then...

but I certainly miss him around here

I miss him as well. Whenever I worded a question I imagined how he would personally respond if he did (and to be fair there was a 70-80% chance he would). It taught me to be clear and concise about things and research before I bothered everyone here.

I obviously can’t speak for Jeff but I believe the intent of this forum is for professionals to have interesting and helpful discussions about production sound and I try to keep that in mind whenever I post anything.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:37 PM, jason porter said:

A place where a noob could ask a simple question and get a simple answer. 

Has this forum ever been like that? I mean, I've only been hanging out here a few short years, but I'm constantly digging up and reading really old and not so old posts here on jwsound (I like to read!), and I wouldn't say that was true back then either. You've always got replies which had a bit of silly fun / sarcasm with the noob-ish question, mixed in with those people seriously giving a helpful reply. And fair enough, I don't think that is a bad thing? And you got your answer in the end :-) 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Has this forum ever been like that? I mean, I've only been hanging out here a few short years, but I'm constantly digging up and reading really old and not so old posts here on jwsound (I like to read!), and I wouldn't say that was true back then either. You've always got replies which had a bit of silly fun / sarcasm with the noob-ish question, mixed in with those people seriously giving a helpful reply. And fair enough, I don't think that is a bad thing? And you got your answer in the end 🙂

I’ve always thought the attitude you got as a “dumb question tax.”

The listing for the jwsoundgroup DIY section states; "for those who are brave enough to go it alone... with a little help from your friends"

It should read; "for those brave enough to be insulted"

I am in my 30th year as a live music front of house engineer, TV production A1 mixer, voice over artist and post sound designer/re-recording mixer and have supported myself and my family this way the whole time. 

How? Not because I wanted to... I started out as a singer/songwriter in a rock band in the late 1980's and when I recorded and mixed my own band for distribution my friends began asking me to mix their bands' demos and live shows. That led to a long span (til the mid 2000s) where I became a front of house/road manger for scores of high profile touring groups worldwide for artists such as Randy Crawford, The Beach Boys, Wilson Phillips and many more. When I got married and started a family in the mid 2000's I joined the local IATSE and NABET unions and transitioned to mixing TV productions like Dr Phil/ The Doctors and The Daily Habit on Fuel TV.

When the economy slowed I found myself struggling to compete with long time union A1 mixers for the remaining LA TV jobs and again began to transition; this time to voice over artist, independent film/video post sound and video editor. I've recently made some headway into post film sound work and now have a decent amount of credits which is earning me more work. In 2019 I performed location mixing for the first time so that I could help my friends (producers) afford to get their last film made. 

While I have worked with plenty of uptight sound engineers over the years I have always wondered how they find themselves so superior. Because they're not.

I have never treated anyone like that in my three decades as a sound pro. And I've had countless opportunities.

My question may seem 'noob' but when you don't know anything about the OP, making such dismissive comments is foolish.

So, I've never re-wired a lav mic. Big f*ing deal. 

Why is it foolish to flame strangers online?

Maybe because in this case I'm lead sound on my next film and I have the right to choose my staff accordingly.

I'll remember who made these comments here.

I don't need that kind of toxic behavior at work, I've got teenagers at home.

No one called you a noob. You asked a noob question, like we all have, and got some attitude, like we all have. You also received some helpful information here. I believe Eric gave you some wonderful advice.

I can only speak for myself but I think you got the response you did because so many of us here take pride in learning all of the little things “we are supposed to know” as mixers. We go out of our way to find the answers until we’ve exhausted every avenue. It comes across as lazy when someone asks a question that has been asked here so many times. You would have found the answer here if you looked harder for it. I know because I used Eric’s advice from a post here when I made all my Sennheiser G3 cables 6 years ago.

The amount of information I learned while looking for the answer to something else is staggering. I’m sorry you took our responses as an attack. Everyone who commented has been here for a long time and I would be surprised if there was any malice behind them.

🧂 Happy Mixing 🧂