4Minx recorder showcased at NAB 2012

José

I learned about yet another multitrack recorder in the location sound market called the 4Minx. It was showcased this year at NAB.

I thought I'd share its link with everyone here at JWSound. In terms of review, I don't know what to say other than it will leave you speechless. Anyway! Check it out for yourselves.

Unfortunately, they have a ways to go. The unit is not stealthy. It is not securely built. It's housing is as insecure as an old VCR box. You don't feel any resistance in turning the faders. The faders are as loose as slapping a hockey puck on ice.

In terms of interfacing with the unit, you had to dig in deep into the menu options for something as simple as reference tone.

In their product demo, the unit was never connected to any wirelesses whatsoever; Just shotgun mikes with different microphone patterns. That was pretty odd.

Hopefully, they come back with very dramatic improvements next year. My take on the unit: Very disappointing.

Unfortunately, they have a ways to go. The unit is not stealthy. It is not securely built. It's housing is as insecure as an old VCR box. You don't feel any resistance in turning the faders. The faders are as loose as slapping a hockey puck on ice.

In terms of interfacing with the unit, you had to dig in deep into the menu options for something as simple as reference tone.

In their product demo, the unit was never connected to any wirelesses whatsoever; Just shotgun mikes with different microphone patterns. That was pretty odd.

Hopefully, they come back with very dramatic improvements next year. My take on the unit: Very disappointing.

Damn it. Did we get anything good out of NAB this year?

What is it with the "both indoors and outdoors" stuff --- I think it is said 3 or 4 times. Really silly (and not confidence building). They are so proud of the 4 functions keys that seem like they have to do everything. This unit has a long way to go (and I am not sure it will ever get close).

What a goofy video. I'm pretty sure that every recorder I've even owned could be used "inside or outside" and could record any sort of microphone. I hope the recorder is better than their marketing. How much is this thing? I've never seen a USA dealer....

phil p

There are a few US dealers, but their products are not usually stocked like most European mixers and recorders.