Nomad keyboard, sound report and automix

dominiquegreffard

I know it s been discussed before but i just want to say that my work life would be more enjoyable if i could have a proper keyboard plugged in the usb plug of my nomad ( or even best an app to control from my phone.. ). Writing notes is a total drag

Also if the sound report could be customized and delivered in a good looking .pdf format that would also make my work better

Finally when is automix coming to town anyway? I could use that these days,

Apart from that i love my nomad. Such a great tool,

See ya!

A netbook with a formatted excel sheet has worked great for me. When connected to the internet, Google Docs is very convenient - automatic backups, and you can invite other viewers to see your notes update live.

After wrap, convert it to a PDF, and you're all set.

Downside to a pdf is that it isn't nearly as easy to edit/import as a CSV. I do wish we could put our name and contact info in there somehow (short of opening and editing it on a laptop).

Is there any plan for a keyboard of some sort? Major bonus of the Fusion/Deva touch screen.

A netbook with a formatted excel sheet has worked great for me. When connected to the internet, Google Docs is very convenient - automatic backups, and you can invite other viewers to see your notes update live.

After wrap, convert it to a PDF, and you're all set.

It does not work well when converted to PDF with latest adobe. The tables loose half of the characters. Leave it Excel.

Since I usually bring my computer with me, I use Wave Agent to spit out a lovely looking sound report. It maybe not quite as convenient, but the editors like it.

Mark O.

Waveagent sound report is a lot better then what Nomad offers. But it can not beat the convenience of making a report in the bag...

Right, so we agree that Wave Agent works well...

Can you plug a USB keyboard into the Nomad and will it work? Not saying Zaxcom needs to redesign the wheel, it would be cool if it could just use the keyboard as like a MIDI interface to control text-character input.

-w

Right, so we agree that Wave Agent works well...

Can you plug a USB keyboard into the Nomad and will it work? Not saying Zaxcom needs to redesign the wheel, it would be cool if it could just use the keyboard as like a MIDI interface to control text-character input.

-w

Sounds like it is a feature reserved for the Deva/Fusion models.

Sounds like I'm just going to use wave agent, take notes between takes, bring the mirror card home with me after the dump, dump it onto my hard drive for archive, generate the sound report and just type in my notes.

Or, if the pace on set is chill enough, i'll just do it the old fashioned way and type the report up as I go on my laptop.

I'm usually always bag mixing/booming, so, It's never been an issue just using Wave Agent. This will be my first time sit-down mixing it.

• 10 months later...

How so? I've been using sound reports for a year now on my Nomad. I would like the ability to add some header info (like my name and project), but I don't see a compelling reason to make a PDF. There are ways to import a CSV into other things and make a prettier sound report, but a CSV is a lot easier to edit at the end of the day, if that need comes up.

Being able to plug in a mini keyboard for notes is something the 664 does. Why not Nomad? Very few (in fact none) of my gigs allow for sit down note making. It's INCREDIBLY slow and inconvenient as it stands now.

Auto mix would be fab, but frankly many of the other requested tweaks and suggestions on the Nomad forum would be of far greater use on a daily basis. I'd really like to think that Zaxcom will spend some serious time trying to add them.

Keyboard support is on the list, though was not initially listed as a Nomad feature. It got on the list because so many users requested it, and Zaxcom deemed it possible to add eventually. The Deva/Fusion line is intended for cart use, and has supported keyboards. The Nomad as a bag mixer is not seen as something you would want to use a keyboard with. 

Last I read on the Zaxcom user forums was that if/when this latest beta 5.x firmware is pretty stable, then automix will be a bigger concern to finish. It sounds like it's well underway, but not stable enough for a release. 

I'm not a fan of doing notes on the Nomad, but it's not like the 788 is any better. If I want to do notes from the bag, the Deva is the best I have used with the touch screen and a stylus. 

Keyboard support was definitely announced for Nomad by Glenn or Jack on this very forum. It sounded like it would be active when the USB option started. No word about that since. I agree that it would make work so much easier and it would certainly give the Nomad an advantage over the 664 that now already has that feature.

An alternative to a keyboard that would easier to implement would be multiple custom pre-written options in the note field and the track names field (airplane, roomtone, wireless john, wild line etc etc ). That would already be a lot faster than to re type everytime. A keyboard would still be the best.

Also +1 for customisable info on sound report. That d be a big improvement.

The Deva's have saved notes. They come with ones like "ambience" etc, but you can also save custom ones, so things like "good for sound" or "airplane" were a quick click.

I think I would find more use out of a way to save track names (I like how the 788T does it) when you are on a job that has a lot of potential reoccurring characters. Those things make the lack of keyboard easier to deal with.