SD 422 + 722 or SD 552 ?

krick75

Hi there,

I have a 722 and really like it so far. I have been thinking of getting a mixer to add inputs and better control. I was about to go with a 302 or a used 442 if my budget allows...

But now I am thinking, why don't I sell my 722 and buy a SD552 which combine both the mixer and the recorder... for maybe the same price if not less by getting it used, and not to say lighter, less batteries to take care of...

Any thoughts? Am I missing something here?

Ced

Hi there,

I have a 722 and really like it so far. I have been thinking of getting a mixer to add inputs and better control. I was about to go with a 302 or a used 442 if my budget allows...

But now I am thinking, why don't I sell my 722 and buy a SD552 which combine both the mixer and the recorder... for maybe the same price if not less by getting it used, and not to say lighter, less batteries to take care of...

Any thoughts? Am I missing something here?

Ced

Buy a 552

One of the feature I absolutely love on the 722, is the possibility to record on both CF card and the hard drive at the same time. great backup if one fail...

any thoughts about the reliability of the SD card recorder with the 552? Heard few bad stories with SD cards...

One of the feature I absolutely love on the 722, is the possibility to record on both CF card and the hard drive at the same time. great backup if one fail...

any thoughts about the reliability of the SD card recorder with the 552? Heard few bad stories with SD cards...

Make sure your 552 has the latest firmware and you shouldn't have any issues. I had issues with mine locking up during record, or being put into record mode rather, but since the latest firmware update this thing works like a charm. Also, it's good to use a Class 6 SD card or higher if you can, just so the write speeds are high enough never to be the bottleneck in the data writing process.

Many, many options out there. My gut feeling is that the 552 is much more limited as a recorder, simply due to lack of metadata, lack of internal timecode, and its basic 2-track design. I think it's fine as a backup recorder, but I'd be nervous if that were my only recorder.

Zaxcom's Maxx may well be a game changer. In effect, it combines certain features of the 552 and the 744, and does it for about $2500. There are lots and lots of options out there right now. Buying used for the moment would be a safe bet.

How does the Zaxcom pre-amp compare to SD?

Both have great preamps - and the noise floor on both are excellent. Though when comparing preamps you need to look further on how it functions. While I'm not quite sure with all the finer points on the SD preamps but with the preamps on the Zaxcom Maxx you will get Never-Clip on each input. You will get dual analog to digital converters which will give you somewhere in the range of 135dB of dynamic range.

Zaxcom Maxx is far superior as a recorder. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the sonics will be better, even so far as to say as noticeably better. The 552 is a better mixer. In fact, they are sort of at the opposite ends of the spectrum on superiority, each focusing on completely different things.

Many, many options out there. My gut feeling is that the 552 is much more limited as a recorder, simply due to lack of metadata, lack of internal timecode, and its basic 2-track design. I think it's fine as a backup recorder, but I'd be nervous if that were my only recorder.

+1

It's worth noting that Sound Devices Mixers and Recorders use different preamps. Their mixers use Lundahl transformer based preamps while their recorders use discrete preamps. Their recorders have better A/D conversion than on the 552 as well.

There is a page on the Sound Devices website which goes into detail about this : http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/general/552-or-7-series/

The subject of the perceived "warmth" of transformer inputs and discussions of which preamps are transformer balanced and which are electronically balanced surfaces on this forum from time to time. Personally, I haven't heard any differences, at least in normal use, from one design to the next. When making comparisons from one excellent implementation to another, they all sound great to me. The Cooper inputs use transformers (Jensen, I think) and the Sonosax inputs are all electronic but I can't say I would choose one over another for its tone. (There are other differences between the mixers, of course.)

Still, it's perfectly fine to favor one design concept over another. But, just to throw in an extra complication, are we sure that a preamp incorporating a transformer actually employs the transformer in all configurations? For instance, the current Nagra VI has transformers on all the inputs (Nagra-wound transformers, no less!) but uses them only in dynamic-mode; when set to supply power for condenser mikes, the inputs are electronically balanced.

It's all beyond my ken but perhaps someone with better knowledge of these things can provide some enlightenment. Tom Vissar seems to be pretty savvy and is also a Nagra owner. Tom?

David