Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

If SQN jumped in the pool and put a recorder on their unit, I'd seriously consider it. But it seems they're sticking to their ''roots'' and won't move towards something like zaxcom or Sound Devices do.

But that sound...

Yeah, it's a shame. Their market share must have dropped like a stone since production requirements turned so much in favour of requiring recorder backup at the very least.

I adore SQN and wish they would step back into the game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the 664 product demo on Monday at LS. i took some pictures of the 664 if people are interested. I dont think SD will increase the SR past 48k. If they did they would cannibalize sales of the 788t which they have stated many times the 664 is not a replacement to the 788t.

herronsound.com/?p=1837

I was at the 664 product demo on Monday at LS. i took some pictures of the 664 if people are interested. I dont think SD will increase the SR past 48k. If they did they would cannibalize sales of the 788t which they have stated many times the 664 is not a replacement to the 788t.

herronsound.com/?p=1837

Nice pictures. Is it really as HUGE as it looks? That comparison photo with the 788 looks ridiculous, but I can't help think the angles are off on it.

SQN was my first mixer, I too would love to see SQN and recorder combo.

I heard a rumour last year that SQN were developing a recorder but I'm assuming it was simply that. My first mixer was also a SQN however last year I took the difficult decision to jump ship and replaced it with a 552.

The difficulty for them now is they couldn't simply produce a 552 equivalent. I had also suggested they incorporated a RF audio hop alongside another UK company, Audio Ltd (manufacturer of 2040/En2 wireless microphones) but not sure if what happened about that. Like the suggestion of SQN and JoeCo collaborating!

I heard a rumour last year that SQN were developing a recorder but I'm assuming it was simply that. My first mixer was also a SQN however last year I took the difficult decision to jump ship and replaced it with a 552.

The difficulty for them now is they couldn't simply produce a 552 equivalent. I had also suggested they incorporated a RF audio hop alongside another UK company, Audio Ltd (manufacturer of 2040/En2 wireless microphones) but not sure if what happened about that. Like the suggestion of SQN and JoeCo collaborating!

Love the idea of a Audio/SQN device. The SQN just cannot beat the feature set and flexibility of a 552. I much prefer the SQN sound though. Much more bottom end and warmth (whatever the specs say).

Love the idea of a Audio/SQN device. The SQN just cannot beat the feature set and flexibility of a 552. I much prefer the SQN sound though. Much more bottom end and warmth (whatever the specs say).

Ahh, the SQN sound. I still have the 442 / SQN 4S comparison files recorded @ 96K somewhere on my hard drive.

Put your mixer upside down, like Jimi Hendrix ? :D

It might come to that.. but then the meters would actually be going from right to left.. and the inputs will be on the other side of the bag.

Now for a techincal question, does the 664 have the record roll/stop beep option that the 744 does? I really like hearing the beeps!

If SQN were to come out with a mixer/recorder, I think everybody in Europe would buy it. They'd have to change their pricing policy though. Sound Devices is now the market leader in ENG mixers I guess, but I still see so many SQNs in just about every rental/ENG production company I walk in. And people don't ask "do you have a Sound Devices?", they ask "do you have an SQN"?

If SQN were to come out with a mixer/recorder, I think everybody in Europe would buy it. They'd have to change their pricing policy though. Sound Devices is now the market leader in ENG mixers I guess, but I still see so many SQNs in just about every rental/ENG production company I walk in. And people don't ask "do you have a Sound Devices?", they ask "do you have an SQN"?

Indeed. I feel like for several years now they have been chucking away a market they already own. Such a shame.