Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

Those of us that have spoken with SD in person about the possibility of higher sample rates have not heard a "not possible". We have been told things that would suggest hope though. I personally did not get the 664 for the anticipation that one day it could do this, but if it eventually does then fantastic. At that point the 7 series still go beyond to 192k.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what percentage of people actually use 96k or 192k. Not to dismiss those users, but I would think that 99.999% of 664s are headed to bag doc/reality work where 48/24 or 44/16 are all they will ever do. The fact that SD makes a lot of recorders capable of 96k+ (let alone Zaxcom, Fostex etc) should mean that everything they make doesn't have to.

Talked to the SD guys on the IBC here in Amsterdam when the 664 was introduced;asked them about things like keyboard inputs etc;664 is the successor of the 552 : a 6ch (+ 6 more inputs with the the CL6) mixer made for ENG/reality style sound recording with really a lot of tracks.All the 'wanted options' cry'd for above will probably be featured in the successor of the 7 series?( the '8'series RECORDERS??)And will be introduced next year?(AES ,IBC ?)Since Sound Devices intro'd the PIX series I had a gut feeling that the menu stucture on those will be implemented in their future sound machines (mixers and RECORDERS).Cart people: be patient!

I was tempted to buy a 664,but decided to wait,based on PIX gut feeling.( and having no need for a 6 or 8 input/multi output mixer,I have those,but would like a multitrack recorder ,say 8 tacks SD style,and not a 788:hate the meters on that one: to short and to 'schocky' compaired to 744 meters) Why would SD in one stroke kill all their 7 series recorders with the introduction of a 6 input mixer that can record multitrack,and have ALL the options the 7 series have....?Will not happen.My guess is SD will introduce new RECORDERS next year!?(The "8" series Jon?) David C

Talked to the SD guys on the IBC here in Amsterdam when the 664 was introduced;asked them about things like keyboard inputs etc;664 is the successor of the 552 : a 6ch (+ 6 more inputs with the the CL6) mixer made for ENG/reality style sound recording with really a lot of tracks.All the 'wanted options' cry'd for above will probably be featured in the successor of the 7 series?( the '8'series RECORDERS??)And will be introduced next year?(AES ,IBC ?)Since Sound Devices intro'd the PIX series I had a gut feeling that the menu stucture on those will be implemented in their future sound machines (mixers and RECORDERS).Cart people: be patient!

I was tempted to buy a 664,but decided to wait,based on PIX gut feeling.( and having no need for a 6 or 8 input/multi output mixer,I have those,but would like a multitrack recorder ,say 8 tacks SD style,and not a 788:hate the meters on that one: to short and to 'schocky' compaired to 744 meters) Why would SD in one stroke kill all their 7 series recorders with the introduction of a 6 input mixer that can record multitrack,and have ALL the options the 7 series have....?Will not happen.My guess is SD will introduce new RECORDERS next year!?(The "8" series Jon?) David C

bralleput,

I suspect you are correct! I've pre-ordered a couple 664's, and truthfully I need to have them. However I also will need eventually (next year) to get a real cart recorder with a fader panel. Until then I'll probably just use my Yamaha 01V96i to feed the 664 with the CL-6. That should give me most of the fuctionality and tracks I need, howbeit rather heavy and bulky. I look forward to seeing what new "cart" systems both Sound Devices and Zaxcom come out with next year.

Tom

I think soundwise, it would be a much better choice to go for the nomad. But the 664 seems way more easy to learn, with better interface. And it looks better too ;). And it feels much more rugged.

Only thing that I really do not like is that the HPF starts at 80Hz. That is very inconvenient when recording ambiances and the like. On my 744t, I set it to 40Hz which nicely gets rid of sub low rumble.

I think soundwise, it would be a much better choice to go for the nomad. But the 664 seems way more easy to learn, with better interface. And it looks better too ;). And it feels much more rugged.

Only thing that I really do not like is that the HPF starts at 80Hz. That is very inconvenient when recording ambiances and the like. On my 744t, I set it to 40Hz which nicely gets rid of sub low rumble.

Nomad sounds very clean to me, 664 a nice warm analog sound (both fantastic). 664 was not designed around sfx recording needs. Don't look for a Philips head screwdriver to screw a flat-head screw. .

My 664 hasn't arrived yet. Wondering as to whether I can get two more track inputs in addition to the 6 VIA my Mix-Pre D?

I asked this earlier in the thread, and going into the 664 link I/O will go to the stereo bus, but not as ISOs. I assume going into the digital ins would take up a couple of your 6 ISO tracks.

E.

Hello,

after some little experience with my 664, these are my first impressions:

I move from my loved 552 to the 664, so no need to read the manual, very easy to use. Even if you are not used to SD products, very easy to navigate in the menu and to understand the "philosophy".

Sounds great ( maybe less warm than a 788), close to 552 sound. Analog limiters are very impressive. Far better than the 552.

What I would like to have is a "ENG mode" display, with only the STEREO OUT, like an analog mixer (I think Nomad have also this display).It could be nice for simple jobs don't require iso tracks.

One other thing is when you are listening Return signal, the PFL is not active, you have to change monitoring in "direct mode".

I record 10 tracks for 1 hour on a Sandisk 60 MB/s with no issues. SD recommend to use 90 MB/s but maybe necessary only if you want to record 12 tracks with CL6.

The screen is very clear, you have access to all the needed informations during recording.

What I would like to have is a "ENG mode" display, with only the STEREO OUT, like an analog mixer (I think Nomad have also this display).It could be nice for simple jobs don't require iso tracks.

Hi Olphi - thanks for your feedback. Just in case you hadn't noticed yet, there is a second meter screen (accessed by pressing the METERS button) that does not show ISO metering - it only shows L,R X1 X2 and return meters.

One other thing is when you are listening Return signal, the PFL is not active, you have to change monitoring in "direct mode".

Yes - this is something that will be addressed. In the meantime, simply set up a custom user HP preset to monitor RTN, then the PFL will activate as you wish.

Paul

Hi senator,

I played a lot with the 664 and made lot of tests before use it on set. I also bring my "old" 552 in case of... I'm totally professional.

The only thing I miss is the possibility to have a PFL in return mode via a custom preset monitor, as Paul wrote before.

I work with SD products since years. I use 442,552, 744T, 788T and now 664. As SD have the same "Philosophy", not very difficult to use all these products with a simple and very well think "architecture".

@Paul. For the "ENG mode" display, I know about the second screen with direct, X1,X2 and returns but I would like to have a big stéréo out meter and maybe small meter for return A only...